JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
aussiemuma (Offline)
New to JF

Advice on moving to Japan - 07-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Hi. My husband has an opportuity to work in Japan with his current employer. We moved from Sydney Australia to Dublin Ireland for the same reason 18 months ago and have had a great time. In many ways it will be sad to leave, but in others we're very excited about this new opportunity, especially in a country that is so very different to what we are used to. Our daughter is 4 yrs old; I don't work anymore due to VISA permit - just wondering if anyone would like to share some advice on settling into Tokyo as an ex-pat (I've already hooked up with JANZ)............ THANK YOU
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-06-2008, 06:30 PM

There is so much to say it is hard to know where to start. Congrats and what a wonderful opportunity.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-07-2008, 07:50 AM

I have to be dumb here. I've seen it on several threads.. what's an ex-pat?

なんでやねん!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
It's someone who used to be named patrick, but is now named Sisal.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-07-2008, 08:43 AM

Nevermind, wikipedia comes through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence. The word comes from the Latin ex (out of) and patria (country, fatherland).

なんでやねん!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

07-07-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
ex-pat = Expatriate

Employees of corporations usually multinationals who are sent for oversea assignments.

Technically, aussiemuma's case probably do not fall under ex-pat because it is very costly to send ex-pats so many firms are shifting more towards internal transfers.

This means, the company you are working for is not sending you overseas but rather, you are requesting for a transfer and you do not qualify for the complete ex-pat benefits package.

Typical benefits include, overseas premium, housing allowance, cost of living allowance, moving expenses, tuition for dependent education, home leave, and tax reimbursement payments.

Research conducted by a friend of mine who is a college professor revealed that sending an ex-pat who receives $100K to Tokyo would cost $1M for compensations in 3 years.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommasi View Post
ex-pat = Expatriate

Employees of corporations usually multinationals who are sent for oversea assignments.

Technically, aussiemuma's case probably do not fall under ex-pat because it is very costly to send ex-pats so many firms are shifting more towards internal transfers.

This means, the company you are working for is not sending you overseas but rather, you are requesting for a transfer and you do not qualify for the complete ex-pat benefits package.

Typical benefits include, overseas premium, housing allowance, cost of living allowance, moving expenses, tuition for dependent education, home leave, and tax reimbursement payments.

Research conducted by a friend of mine who is a college professor revealed that sending an ex-pat who receives $100K to Tokyo would cost $1M for compensations in 3 years.
Thanks for the explanation.

なんでやねん!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

07-07-2008, 09:22 AM

Hey Aussie - Thats so cool you get to go to Japan!

Im From Australia.. down on the great ocean Road

its always cool to meet other Aussie JF Users

NICE2MEETYOU!!