JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MiyagiShiori (Offline)
Baka #47

Question Teaching at a Japanese school (not teaching english) - 07-09-2008, 10:30 PM

I do not want to teach english in Japan, however I do want to teach.
I want to teach at a regular japanese school but I do not know anything about what I would have to do. I know i have to have a teaching license, but that is all I know. Is it better to teach at a public or private school? Do i teach one specific subject or course? any suggestions or answers to my questions?
I'll really appreciate the help.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Never frown, even when you are sad, because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.
The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting right beside them knowing you can't have them.
You don't know how lovely you really are...

Last edited by MiyagiShiori : 07-09-2008 at 10:35 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

07-10-2008, 12:24 AM

The chances of a foreign person teaching anything but English in a Japanese school are pretty dismal. Ask yourself why a Japanese school would need someone whose native tongue is not Japanese and hasn't spent their whole life growing up and living in Japan. Even if you're more qualified for a position than any potential Japanese candidate, they'll choose the Japanese candidate, just because he/she is Japanese. Sound unfair or discriminatory? Maybe so, but that's how things work over there.

To start with, you'd have to be completely fluent in Japanese. You'd have to be educated and licensed as a teacher by the Japanese education system. You'd likely not be making much money, and you'd probably end up being pigeonholed by the school into doing English-related projects anyway.

I don't mean to paint such a dim view of your dream job, but that's the reality of things in Japan. Becoming an English teacher would be infinitely easier than becoming a regular schoolteacher in Japan, and in many cases, you'd probably still make more money than a regular teacher.

Higher education, however, is a different story. There are a number of foreign instructors working in colleges/universities in Japan, and many of them don't teach English. Of course, for this, you'd have to hold (at the very minimum) a Master's degree for an entry level position, on top of already being completely fluent in Japanese.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MiyagiShiori (Offline)
Baka #47

Unhappy 07-10-2008, 12:28 AM

great...that doesn't sound too good.
so to even have a chance i'd have to teach at a university?
thank you for answering back, by the way
i guess i am still curious though, about the job
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miyagi Shiori

Never frown, even when you are sad, because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.
The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting right beside them knowing you can't have them.

Last edited by MiyagiShiori : 07-10-2008 at 12:33 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

07-10-2008, 12:32 AM

Be fluent in Japanese, have a permanent visa, finish Japanese university and do internship at local schools for 2 weeks, and then pass the govt exam to become a teacher.

You might have a better chance of becoming a teacher at international schools in Japan but even that will require you to have a 4 year degree, internship so you could take credentials at university, and have few years of experience teaching.

That should be a starting point for any international schools in Japan but expect high competition.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MiyagiShiori (Offline)
Baka #47

07-10-2008, 12:40 AM

thank you very much tommasi
i will make sure to keep those things in mind.

now i guess i have some other things to ask:
what age are the university students?
what type of things would i teach?
what is a day like for a teacher?
are there any ultra specific qualifications? (besides what has already been mentioned)

Last edited by MiyagiShiori : 07-10-2008 at 12:53 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-10-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiyagiShiori View Post
You want to be an university teacher, but you have no idea of what you want to teach?

なんでやねん!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-10-2008, 07:09 AM

I just wanted to add one little tidbit to this.

You can manage to weasel your way into teaching as at a Japanese school as something other than an "English Conversation" teacher - but it`s still English, only taught in Japanese. English grammar is generally taught by Japanese teachers, as native English speakers usually don`t have the grasp of the Japanese and the knowledge of their native language to efficiently explain grammatical points. Just speaking a language isn`t nearly enough to explain it.

I actually have the qualifications for this, but as I finished my degree and certification after my son was born... Well, I`ve never so much as applied for a position. But schools I have had contact with were quite impressed, and I have been invited to apply for a position at a rather prestigious junior high school. Unfortunately, when I chose the path I had no idea my son would have significant medical and developmental issues that would require the level of attention that they do. Chances are, I`ll never work in a school. *sigh*

To answer some of the questions...
Quote:
what age are the university students?
Most likely the same age as university students in your country.

Quote:
You would teach your specialty - what you have the knowledge and background to teach. A university is a bit different than an elementary school. Teachers have qualifications and certifications in what they are teaching - not just a general teaching certificate.

Quote:
what is a day like for a teacher?
In a university? I think this varies quite a lot based on what you`re teaching. Most teachers have a "research lab", with dedicated students pursuing their degrees in the teacher`s specialty.

Quote:
are there any ultra specific qualifications? (besides what has already been mentioned)
Having in depth knowledge of a specific area of study, and having the qualifications to back that up.

In other words, you rarely set out to become a university professor. You reach a point in your studies where you feel it would benefit others to share that knowledge. If you haven`t even the slightest idea of what you`re interested in... You have a very VERY long way to go.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
DesiredMess (Offline)
.Infront of Persona.

07-10-2008, 05:22 PM

I sort of had the same question, but not exactly. I'm just going to post it here so I won't have to take up forum space.

My question is, if I go to college and take Japanese and get a Masters in TESOL will I be able to get a job in a highschool or University in Japan as being an English teacher (and not just an assistant teacher or ALT in the JET program)?

Videogame junkie extraordinaire. I often need help getting snapped back into reality, so bare with me.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MiyagiShiori (Offline)
Baka #47

07-10-2008, 05:37 PM

ok. well I do have an idea of what I want to do. I want to teach Biology or some sort of Life Science, I do know what direction I am going in. What i didn't realize was that I would have such a slim chance of teaching at a high school or junior high, which is where I actually want to teach. but, I guess I'll have to try my best anyway.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-10-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiyagiShiori View Post
ok. well I do have an idea of what I want to do. I want to teach Biology or some sort of Life Science, I do know what direction I am going in. What i didn't realize was that I would have such a slim chance of teaching at a high school or junior high, which is where I actually want to teach. but, I guess I'll have to try my best anyway.
Even in the United States do you rarely see a non-native English speaker teaching something besides their native language in public schools.