JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Yuliya (Offline)
New to JF

Short term accommodations in Tokyo? - 07-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Me and a travel partner will be in Tokyo in November for 2 weeks, but I can't seem to find an affordable place to stay. Hotels and Sakura Hostel are too pricy and it seems like just renting a guest house room or a small apartment would be a lot cheaper.
Anyone got any suggestions? Or wanting to share a place somewhere?
I prefer Shinjuku area but I'm flexible!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-21-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuliya View Post
Me and a travel partner will be in Tokyo in November for 2 weeks, but I can't seem to find an affordable place to stay. Hotels and Sakura Hostel are too pricy and it seems like just renting a guest house room or a small apartment would be a lot cheaper.
Anyone got any suggestions? Or wanting to share a place somewhere?
I prefer Shinjuku area but I'm flexible!
What is your budget? Is 4000-6000 Yen per person per night too much? Sun Targas at Ueno is pretty cheap...

HOTEL SUNTARGAS UENO Walk 3 minutes from JR Ueno station.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

07-21-2008, 09:06 PM

Khaosan in Asakusa is 5000 yen for two.

The room is small but it is reasonable for the price.

Also, hostels are great way to go.

I know one place in Yoyogi which is right next to Shinjuku, for only 3000yen.

Japan Youth Hostels, Inc.

Only downside is they have a sigle bedrooms only so you won't be able to share a room with your partner.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommasi View Post
Khaosan in Asakusa is 5000 yen for two.

The room is small but it is reasonable for the price.

Also, hostels are great way to go.

I know one place in Yoyogi which is right next to Shinjuku, for only 3000yen.

Japan Youth Hostels, Inc.

Only downside is they have a sigle bedrooms only so you won't be able to share a room with your partner.
Even better. Do you have pictures of Khaosan? I may consider that when i go again if its in par with sun targas
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

07-23-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Even better. Do you have pictures of Khaosan? I may consider that when i go again if its in par with sun targas
Hmmm, I'm sure the website has some pics on it.

It's small but the location makes up for it as it is right behind Asakusa Station.

Khaosan Tokyo Guest House : the cheapest hostel for backpackers in Central Tokyo 24 hour booking

Last edited by tommasi : 07-23-2008 at 11:11 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
07-24-2008, 11:19 AM

Well i stayed at Economy Backpackers Hotel NEW KOYO wich is 2700 for a single room (really small though) and 4800 for double room. It is a 10 minutes walk to the Station and from there 2 stations to Ueno.You can actually walk to Asakusa in 25min. To the next JR Station ist also around 10 min (maybe less).
The Hotel itself ist quite ok, clean, the staff is very helpful, internet runs at 600yen an hour or 300 yen if you bring your laptop. i was lucky as i could use the w-lan of some neigbouhr in my room.
I think that the roomsize is only made for a short stay and that the double room is actually very small for 2 people, but for everyone on a budget its ok. They have showers wich u can use 24h and a small kitchen and there is a Japanese stile bath wich you can only use to certain hours (2-3h a day not mixed). There are only 6 double room i think, so you should book well in advance. At the moment i would even recommend you to book in advance for a single room.
There is a convienince store nearby and a supermarket.
you can get there from Narita Ariport for only 1160yen if you are alright to walk around 3 min to change from train to Subway and around 10 min from the train to the hotel. You will take around 2 hours to get to the Hotel. I you choose the faster train it will cost you 900yen more and will save you between 20 and 30 minutes depending on how the trains are running.

Good luck

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Well i stayed at Economy Backpackers Hotel NEW KOYO wich is 2700 for a single room (really small though) and 4800 for double room. It is a 10 minutes walk to the Station and from there 2 stations to Ueno.You can actually walk to Asakusa in 25min. To the next JR Station ist also around 10 min (maybe less).
The Hotel itself ist quite ok, clean, the staff is very helpful, internet runs at 600yen an hour or 300 yen if you bring your laptop. i was lucky as i could use the w-lan of some neigbouhr in my room.
I think that the roomsize is only made for a short stay and that the double room is actually very small for 2 people, but for everyone on a budget its ok. They have showers wich u can use 24h and a small kitchen and there is a Japanese stile bath wich you can only use to certain hours (2-3h a day not mixed). There are only 6 double room i think, so you should book well in advance. At the moment i would even recommend you to book in advance for a single room.
There is a convienince store nearby and a supermarket.
you can get there from Narita Ariport for only 1160yen if you are alright to walk around 3 min to change from train to Subway and around 10 min from the train to the hotel. You will take around 2 hours to get to the Hotel. I you choose the faster train it will cost you 900yen more and will save you between 20 and 30 minutes depending on how the trains are running.

Good luck
Both place looks great. Yulia, one thing you need to pay attention to is that these places don't have private bath, so you have to be sharing the shower and many other facilities with a group of people, so if you are ok with that then i think these places looks great for what you need
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jupiter (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2008, 10:29 AM

So I just did a currency check on my computer and 3000 yens is about 27 US Dollars. Is that too much to stay at a hotel? 27 US Dollars a night. I have never been to a foreign country so I don't know how too much of one's currency is too much of US Dollars.

eru
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-25-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
So I just did a currency check on my computer and 3000 yens is about 27 US Dollars. Is that too much to stay at a hotel? 27 US Dollars a night. I have never been to a foreign country so I don't know how too much of one's currency is too much of US Dollars.
Given that even a cheap motel cost about $60-100 a night in North America, we will think that anything under 60 is cheap, and locally in Japan , whichever way you look at it, it is actually an average price, closer to the cheap side, however to some spending 60 a night versus spending 20 a night could mean giving up on a meal or two or having to walk to certain places instead of taking transportation, so it all depends on the individual and how much they planned on spending on the trip.

A friend of mine, who makes an average of 80000 a year (The average household income here is around 55000 a year), is like that too, he planned to spend very little on his trips, nothing wrong with that, different people have different priorities with their money...