JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
catharsix (Offline)
New to JF

Buying a Computer? - 07-12-2008, 07:03 AM

So I am an American graduate student of the University of Illinois, currently residing in japan to do research at Todai for a year or so.

I am strongly considering buying a new computer, as the laptop I brought with me is begining to get a bit long in the tooth, and I could use an upgrade. I am a bit wary of buying one here though, in light of the cost of shipping it back to the USA in another year and a half or so, and also because I am not very computer-savvy; I have enough problems with computers in my native language of English! Any problems with a Japanese-language interface etc. could cause me serious frustration. ( I do speak/read Japanese, but it's not perfect, and like I said, I'm all thumbs when it comes to computers).

Does anyone else out there have any advice? Has anyone gone through this process before? Would it, in fact, be very expensive to get any new computer back to the USA with me when I return?

Any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-12-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsix View Post
So I am an American graduate student of the University of Illinois, currently residing in japan to do research at Todai for a year or so.

I am strongly considering buying a new computer, as the laptop I brought with me is begining to get a bit long in the tooth, and I could use an upgrade. I am a bit wary of buying one here though, in light of the cost of shipping it back to the USA in another year and a half or so, and also because I am not very computer-savvy; I have enough problems with computers in my native language of English! Any problems with a Japanese-language interface etc. could cause me serious frustration. ( I do speak/read Japanese, but it's not perfect, and like I said, I'm all thumbs when it comes to computers).

Does anyone else out there have any advice? Has anyone gone through this process before? Would it, in fact, be very expensive to get any new computer back to the USA with me when I return?

Any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time in advance.

How giganitic of a computer are you planning on buying?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-12-2008, 07:54 AM

Get one here. You can get an HP notebook at Bic Camera with an English keyboard at no extra cost. You can carry a notebook as part of your carry-on luggage when you return to America at no extra charge. HP notebooks at Bic Camera are made to order, and take about 10 days to complete. But you can get them in any configuration you like, and there are color options here which are not available in the states. They are good notebooks, I own 2 of them, and my GF has one as well.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
paul999 (Offline)
JF Regular

07-12-2008, 08:28 AM

Actually if you leave the monitor you could probably bring the rest on the plane with you if you are planning to get a desktop.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

10-26-2011, 01:29 AM

...I didn't notice the necropost date. Sorry.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org

Last edited by Tsuwabuki : 10-26-2011 at 01:33 AM.