JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Polkigtry (Offline)
New to JF

The Japan Plan: Need Ex-Jet Advice - 07-17-2008, 08:41 PM

First off, yes I am planning on moving to Japan. (Yes another one of those) For at least 2 years, and possibly, I would like it to become my home.
I am not a super-anime fan, nor is any other Japanese pop-culture related craze the reason for my plan. I want a challenge in life, and this sounds like what I'm looking for.

Im currently a University Student about to start my Junior year. My major is in Performing Arts (Acting). While I wish to perform, I also wish to teach drama. Obviously there is not much of a market for that in Japan, I love teaching, so I would still be happy with teaching English.

My current plan (been hatching it for 2 years, and now I'm planning for completion in the next 2) is: (In a nutshell ofcourse)
Now: Start intense study of Japanese Language (in progress)
School Year 2008-2009:Speak with professors about TA possibilities.
Winter 2009: achieve my TESOL and possibly a further specialization
Summer of 2009: if funds permit, visit Japan
Fall of 2009: Start Senior Year, Gather all materials to begin application to Jet program.
Winter 2010: Intense study of Japanese History, aspects of living in Japan
Spring 2010: Graduate, Pray for acceptance in Jet, if not accepted, start finding someone else who will take me.
Whilst in Japan: achieve master in general education online over 2-year period.

One of my questions is for the Ex-Jetters. What I was really hoping for while in Japan was the opportunity to act! Just the odd appearance here or their if they like me. However, the Jet program states no outside work. Any thoughts? If I ever did get hired for a role, maybe I could go pro-bono(possible?), it's really all about the spotlight/experience for me. Mind you, finding time to do this outside of teaching.
Any advice/stories/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have the opportunity to work extensively with THE leading dialect/speech expert in the U.S. I think this might be important as I would expect those I could be teaching would want a non-regionalized teaching experience, the "international-standard" I think is what he called it. Is this something I should fully take advantage of? Or would it not be of no great importance?

Thanks in Advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-19-2008, 11:27 AM

Can't answer all your questions, but there are plenty of opportunities for foreign actors in Japan. You'd have to be close to central Tokyo of course. Extras, models, cameos, then later some better stuff if you learn Japanese.

As for the JET rules, just don't tell them.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Most JET applicants have little Japanese experience and no teaching experience or education. There is no need to do non-regional voice training, as there are JETS from all over the world, and I had trouble understaning the English of some of my former colleagues from places like Scotland and Wales.

If you want to do that for yourself, it sounds great, but I doubt it will help or hurt your JET application.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-19-2008, 06:40 PM

Many schools and teachers are happy to allow a JET to help out in things besides teaching English, especially if you can speak Japanese. Many high schools will have a drama club, and I bet the students would enjoy having the ALT help out with their plays, maybe take a role or help direct, etc.

In a larger town or city, there may also be theaters that perform plays. You might study Noh, or find a place that does western plays in Japanese.

Whatever your hobby, there is usually some way to pursue it, perhaps in new and unique ways, while in Japan.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan