JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xaviercbrock (Offline)
New to JF

hope to one day move to japan - 07-13-2008, 09:02 AM

hi i'm 18 and one day want to move to japan and my question is what subject or trade should i major in, in order to live in japan what subjects or trades are in demand so I can live there with a degree of comfort and not having to struggle to bad give me an estimate of how much money to save up to make the jump please help me out i'd really appreciate it
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-13-2008, 05:22 PM

There are quite a few topics here that explains this, but the main thing you'll need before doing anything, is a four-year degree. One of the things needed for a foreigner is a Work Visa, and in order to obtain one, a four-year degree is needed.

Seems that the most demanding job for foreigners, or Native English speakers, is English teaching.

If you attend a University, you could always look into doing an exchange program and going over to Japan for like a semester to study, especially if you're doing something like International Studies.

All of this aside, even though I haven't been or lived there myself, it would probably be wise if live there temporarily or for a while to see if you like it okay, and then decide if you want to live there permanently. It's like trying a product before you buy it, that type of thing.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-16-2008, 01:00 AM

You do need a bachelors degree or better to get a visa to work in Japan. Your level of comfort depends on what kind of work you want to do. Teaching pays about 3 million yen per year ($30,000), and though that is not a lot of money, it's above the median income level, so you can live on it.

The highest paid jobs for foreigners in Japan is in the financial sector, but being a good trader takes a lot of experience and education. Good traders can make 3 million yen a month, or more.

IT jobs are fairly easy to find in Japan, but the entry level pay is the same as what you would earn teaching, and the hours are longer. You must have a degree, and preferably a certification of some type as well.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-16-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
You do need a bachelors degree or better to get a visa to work in Japan. Your level of comfort depends on what kind of work you want to do. Teaching pays about 3 million yen per year ($30,000), and though that is not a lot of money, it's above the median income level, so you can live on it.

The highest paid jobs for foreigners in Japan is in the financial sector, but being a good trader takes a lot of experience and education. Good traders can make 3 million yen a month, or more.

IT jobs are fairly easy to find in Japan, but the entry level pay is the same as what you would earn teaching, and the hours are longer. You must have a degree, and preferably a certification of some type as well.
IT jobs also need you to be very fluent in the Japanese language. I am an example of someone with the education and 12 years of experieince who can't find an IT job in Japan, but then I was also picky...