JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SuGrocks (Offline)
JF Regular

Studying in Japan? help. - 07-23-2008, 04:52 AM

does anyone know any good programs where i can earn a degree in Japan? i have been checking some out on the web but i haven't found many specific programs. im interested in degrees college wise, like any international programs for an american like myself to earn a college degree in Japan. anyway, i appreciate the help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-24-2008, 09:07 AM

In my opinion, you'd be better off going to a University in your home country, and going over to Japan for a semester to study.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMorley (Offline)
New to JF

07-24-2008, 10:16 AM

I've looked in to the possibilities. But in general I do not recommend it unless you are already in possession of official language certificates. College and university courses are hard as it is in your native language, let alone in a foreign one.

There are a few roads open but it depends on how good you are in Japanese, how good your financial situation is and how old you are.

SSJUP81's suggestion is the easiest - and perhaps the best - way to settle things. Exchange programs are close to always in English or at least they will help you in overcoming the language barrier.

If you need some better details you can contact me.

http://www.mmorley.org
Making Journalism Count
(#4 (permalink))
Old
sillygodxdisco (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to sillygodxdisco
07-25-2008, 03:36 AM

haha you're lucky i've been researching a lot about this because i want to go to college in tokyo. =)

if i'm not mistaken, you want a college degree in japan, right? well, if you aren't good at japanese, then you can go to an american college. meaning that it's a college where classes are taught in english but you get both u.s. and japanese credits.

in tokyo the most popular are temple u, sophia u, and international christian u. check them out, i'm probably going to end up applying to those. outside of tokyo, i don't know. sorry. =x

"listen a heartless shout listen a heartless cry listen a heartless world"
.. cyclone : 12012 ♪

facebook
&
mixi

girugamesh. rentrer en soi. antic cafe. the gazette. ♥
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Ichiro614 (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2008, 03:46 AM

As others have mentioned, if your Japanese skills are not at an advanced level, taking classes that are taught in Japanese will be extremely challenging to say the least.

You might want to consider simply studying Japanese at your home country's university along with whatever other major you are interested in pursuing, do a foreign exchange for a year, and then maybe consider doing graduate work in Japan.

If you really do want to pursue a degree in Japan, in addition to the other schools mentioned Tsukuba University, where I spent a year, is another school that accepts many foreign students and also has a Japanese language program for those who first need to get their skills up to speed.

The Stanford Inter-University Center in Yokohama (where I also spent a year) is another great program if your focus is on improving your Japanese, although this program is mainly for grad students.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
joker8880231 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-10-2008, 05:45 AM

Hey I'm going to Temple University Japan in the fall of 2009 maybe Ill see you there.