JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Maku (Offline)
Not a happy bunny.

Send a message via MSN to Maku
01-19-2007, 04:16 AM

Just like that one edited because of an unnecessary comma!
I tend to do that a lot too, but when I do it most of the time the 'Last edited' bit doesn't come up...
(#22 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
01-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Why would u wan show ppl tt u actually edited it?Isn't it btr to allow ppl to think that u dun make mistakes instead? :P

Obtw jason,I'm still a wee too young to get my parents' consent to go to Japan and experience the way of life there, but i managed to get my folks to agree to let me go to japan once i come of age. I'm 17 currently but I'm planning to go take some time off in Japan when I reach 21-25.Is there a law in japan that restricts underaged job-seekers or smth?Cuz if there isnt,I hope to fulfill this wish as early as possible.However,if it cant be helped,then will u still be available on this forum by then?I've been comtemplating about wad kinda jobs i wana hold in japan.. or at least, wad kinda jobs to get me fuelled up and rdy to roll(teaching English sounds promising enough XD). I cant think of anything i wana ask at the moment.. but if anyone knows anything that i shld be knowing, pls do enlighten me ^_^

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 01-20-2007 at 09:31 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-21-2007, 11:52 PM

What up CoolNard, check with Japan's embassy in Singapore for info on getting a work visa. The requirements differ by nation and I am unfamiliar with Singapore. You should be able to click through to the embassy's site through the JET's website The JET Programme - Aspiring JETs - Participating Countries If are not a citizen of Singapore, refer to the country with which you hold citzenship.

Also, check this out boobooSKI - Ski Jobs in Japan Not sure if skiing/boarding is your thing, but this is what I want to be doing even though it is temp work.

And the chances of me being here eight years down the road are slim. As much as I love Japan, the world's a big place and I have many countries left to visit. I only showed the missing comma as an example for Maku, usually I don't leave the reason for editing. It isn't really wanting to appear perfect, I edit my posts because I am teaching English so when I use bad grammar and make mispellings I feel like a retard.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

Pension Tax for JET's - 01-22-2007, 12:17 AM

Last week I had dinner with a couple of JET friends and we were discussing the differences in our wages. I was telling them how much I made and the salary of another ALT who is on the bottom end of the pay scale. They were asking how he could afford the income tax with that salary and I said, "What are you talking about, tax is just a flat 10 percent." They were like, "We pay four man (40,000 yen) a month in taxes." Turns out JET's have to pay in to the Japanese pension system. At the end of their stay in Japan, they will be reimbursed the majority of their taxes paid. I feel a lot better now about being a private ALT, but it would be nice to have that little added bonus when I leave Japan even if you have to do some paperwork to get it.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 01-22-2007 at 06:09 AM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
01-22-2007, 03:57 AM

Lol.. tt was pretty detailed. I dun feel i hv any questions anymor ^_^ Nth less from an english teacher i guess haha.. but if i do happen to have more doubts, then yea,, i'll post them up here =) thx loads btw

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-22-2007, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
Lol.. tt was pretty detailed. I dun feel i hv any questions anymor ^_^ Nth less from an english teacher i guess haha.. but if i do happen to have more doubts, then yea,, i'll post them up here =) thx loads btw
Unfortunately I think my command of the English language makes me a rather poor teacher. At first I was making things too complicated and detailed for the kids. Sometimes I even would get the teachers confused because I am using words like homonyms and superlatives when talking about the lesson plans. Now I use descriptions like words that sound the same and adjectives ending in -est.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

What to do when there is nothing to do - 01-22-2007, 06:56 AM

This post has been removed.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 06-11-2007 at 12:49 PM.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
popeyethehomeswinger (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2007, 12:18 PM

do you really need a university education to get the job as a englishteacher/translator ?
can't you just get som sort of certificate or something that approves ones ability ?

There aint nothing like homeswinging =)
(#29 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-30-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyethehomeswinger View Post
do you really need a university education to get the job as a englishteacher/translator ?
can't you just get som sort of certificate or something that approves ones ability ?
I would check with the Japanese embassy in the country you hold citzenship. All nationals have different criteria for work visas. US citizens you do need a bachelors or some sort of four year degree.

To actually own and start your own English school though, you don't need anything. Why, I don't know. But that may be over simplifying the process of starting a school here.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-30-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyethehomeswinger View Post
Oh and to be a translator you probably just need to pass level one of the JLPT.