LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
popeyethehomeswinger (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
I would check with the Japanese embassy in the country you hold citzenship. All nationals have different criteria for work visas. US citizens you do need a bachelors or some sort of four year degree.

To actually own and start your own English school though, you don't need anything. Why, I don't know. But that may be over simplifying the process of starting a school here.
as if a youth with just a high school degree could ever afford to start an own school
but i understand that you'd need to have gone to a university to be able to work as a teacher, because you need to know so much more than just the language, like english history and poetry..
however.. I think that one can always manage somehow to get work if you let your voice be heard and ask around. I mean like a private tutor or something.

There aint nothing like homeswinging =)
(#32 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-30-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyethehomeswinger View Post
as if a youth with just a high school degree could ever afford to start an own school
but i understand that you'd need to have gone to a university to be able to work as a teacher, because you need to know so much more than just the language, like english history and poetry..
however.. I think that one can always manage somehow to get work if you let your voice be heard and ask around. I mean like a private tutor or something.
You are very correct. Determination will get you a lot farther in life than a sheet of paper.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
popeyethehomeswinger (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
You are very correct. Determination will get you a lot farther in life than a sheet of paper.
hope you aint being sarcastic

There aint nothing like homeswinging =)
(#34 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

02-09-2007, 02:39 AM

This post has been removed, sorry.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 06-11-2007 at 12:50 PM.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
aldine (Offline)
JF Regular

02-10-2007, 07:42 AM

msg deleted

Last edited by aldine : 08-11-2008 at 09:22 AM.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

02-10-2007, 08:33 AM

Native speakers.. what if you was raised in an english speaking country.. for a long period of time? good language skills over nativity.. or nativity over good langauge skills?

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-11-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesperd View Post
Native speakers.. what if you was raised in an english speaking country.. for a long period of time? good language skills over nativity.. or nativity over good langauge skills?

most of the time its nativity over good language skills.

I even encountered, that accent is more important than grammatical structure
(#38 (permalink))
Old
annelie82 (Offline)
Zzzz...zzz.....zz...

02-11-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
most of the time its nativity over good language skills.

I even encountered, that accent is more important than grammatical structure
Now see, that is really disheartening for me to hear. I'm a non-native speaker, however I've completed all of my university education (BA and MA) in the UK and, frankly, my English is better than that of the average native speaker. The only problem is my rather non-standard accent, which is somewhere mid-way between northern English and American.

But I really want to go to Japan! I even have a TEFL qualification from a leading university! Does anyone know of any language schools in Japan that might accept me anyway?

~annelie

"It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." -from the film Coach Carter
(#39 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-11-2007, 10:23 PM

don't be disheartened annelie. you have a certification and you studied in UK that's an advantage. Although English is the co-official language of my country, Japanese seems not to know that and I don't have any certifications, cause I hate taking them

Try applying for YMCA, I know for a fact that they accept applicants with proper teaching background than just accent.You can also try GABA.

goodluck
(#40 (permalink))
Old
aldine (Offline)
JF Regular

02-12-2007, 01:23 PM

msg deleted

Last edited by aldine : 08-11-2008 at 09:21 AM.