haha nope thanks. just want to make sure
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-16-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biginjapan View Post
So I'm curious to find out if anyone was actually disappointed when they got to Japan? Please I just want to hear from anyone who was just slightly disappointed or didn't enjoy their time there and why.
I wasn't disappointed.
Actually, I didn't have much expectations to begin with. There was very little I knew about Japan when I visited.
And, Because I've always loved to travel, I was able to appreciate just being there.

Although some people may have unrealistic expectations, there are still plenty of reasons to love Japan.
Eitherway, they'll have to go, in order to find out if it's really as great as they believe it to be.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2008, 02:50 AM

I knew a few people who were dissapointed. One was a realy nice guy from canada whop really tried. but he wasn't very good at teaching and since he was a bit nervous he had problems dealing with navigating in an unfamiliar environment.

The other was some one who came to our company and didn't bring her meds. She lasted approximately 36 hours before she broke down.

The last was a roommate from my company. He was wacked and therefore angry all the time. Scary.

They were all people who would have difficulties anywhere. I remember a marine recruiter told me, when I was a kid, that the gung-ho military-emblem-wearing ones don't make it. It's the average, every-day kinda person who does. That could probably be said about surviving in Japan.

As long as one is excited to experience something new without thinking it will conform to expectations, one will most likely enjot the experience.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-17-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
I knew a few people who were dissapointed. One was a realy nice guy from canada whop really tried. but he wasn't very good at teaching and since he was a bit nervous he had problems dealing with navigating in an unfamiliar environment.

The other was some one who came to our company and didn't bring her meds. She lasted approximately 36 hours before she broke down.
I understand and agree with your main point. However, would I be mistaken to consider these examples as more of cases of disappointment in the experience (when things don't go as planned) rather than in the country and culture itself?
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
I understand and agree with your main point. However, would I be mistaken to consider these examples as more of cases of disappointment in the experience (when things don't go as planned) rather than in the country and culture itself?
Sure, why not. They would experience the same thing wherever they went, I guess.