(#31 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
12-10-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
Question for those who have done it - how hard is level 2 compared to 3? I don't expect to be at that level anytime soon, but as it now appears I won't be applying to JET until 2011 I'm wondering if I'll be able to learn enough Japanese by then to make it in as a CIR. Obviously it depends on how hard you work on it, but does it sound doable for someone not studying full time or spending an extended period of time in Japan?
There is a HUGE jump between Level 3 and Level 2. You have to know about three times as much for level 2 as you do for 3, and from what I've heard, it's really hard. @_@;

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#32 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-10-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaPapa View Post
There is a HUGE jump between Level 3 and Level 2. You have to know about three times as much for level 2 as you do for 3, and from what I've heard, it's really hard. @_@;
Ermm okay then @_@ I suspected it might be a bit beyond me. If the number of kanji/hours in the Wikipedia article are anything to go by each level requires twice as much knowledge as the previous, so I was thinking the two years I have might just be enough. Sounds like I'd have to work pretty damn hard though, so not going to be too hopeful at this point

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Mehmet (Offline)
New to JF

12-10-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
Ermm okay then @_@ I suspected it might be a bit beyond me. If the number of kanji/hours in the Wikipedia article are anything to go by each level requires twice as much knowledge as the previous, so I was thinking the two years I have might just be enough. Sounds like I'd have to work pretty damn hard though, so not going to be too hopeful at this point
It takes 600 hours of study according to the wiki article to reach level 2,
If you study for 1.5 hours a day without slacking then you could pull it off.

Goodluck!
(#34 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-10-2008, 11:06 AM

I think that's why they're going to change it to five levels instead of just four, since that jump from level 3 to 2 is so vast.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
kyhache (Offline)
New to JF

12-22-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Well, I've been trying to learn this for a long time now, so...I'm just challenging myself for the most part.

Anywho, if I decide to take the test, that'll give me the incentive to study my Kanji more.
In fact, it is not difficult to take it. My teacher said that I can pass if I finish 50 lessons in Minna No Nihongo book. But I passed it although I finished 25 lessons (maybe I'm good ). You should have some trial tests.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-23-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhache View Post
In fact, it is not difficult to take it. My teacher said that I can pass if I finish 50 lessons in Minna No Nihongo book. But I passed it although I finished 25 lessons (maybe I'm good ). You should have some trial tests.
I already took the test. Not sure how I did, though.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

12-23-2008, 02:18 PM

I'll be ready for lv4 next year i hope. Kanji is letting me down atm.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Tangram (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Tangram
12-23-2008, 05:54 PM

I'm shocked at how many people are more worried about kanji than grammar. I plan on taking 4- or 3-kyuu next year, and kanji is the only part I expect to be prepared for. XD Grammar just goes over my head, and listening has always been a problem for me with any language.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

12-24-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
I'm shocked at how many people are more worried about kanji than grammar. I plan on taking 4- or 3-kyuu next year, and kanji is the only part I expect to be prepared for. XD Grammar just goes over my head, and listening has always been a problem for me with any language.
The vocabulary section is pretty much Kanji. You need to know it to pass that part. IMO, grammar is easier. You learn the rule, keep going with it. Kanji, imo, is just much too easy to mix up with other Kanji characters. It could be a situation where you know the word, but don't recognize the character right off or just don't know it. For example, I know the word for car is "Kuruma", but seeing it as "車" might not help me to remember that it's the Kanji for car. Of course I actually know that one, which is why I used it, but you see where I'm trying to go with this. IMO, Kanji is just hard, especially if one's first language usually doesn't involve a bunch of pictographs or symbols to represent words.

Level four probably won't be a problem anyway. Level four uses a lot of furigana, level 3 and up, not so much, from the tests I've seen.