JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-19-2008, 03:10 PM

Your sources are somewhat outdated. Gasoline is not 95 yen per liter, as of today my local station is charging 180 yen per liter. Prices for other items vary greatly according to region. Subtract about 10% for purchases made outside metro Tokyo. Taxi fare is now 710 yen for the first two km. Bus fare is 200 yen on most metro routes.

Prices on other items are generally higher, particularly on imported goods such as European and American clothing. A pair of Puma shoes retailing for $80 in the US will cost about 12k yen in Japan (roughly $120). A $190 pair of 7 For All Mankind jeans will run more than 3 man yen ($300) at Mitsukoshi in Ginza.

As for transporting currency, one million yen is less than ten thousand dollars, so there will be no problems if you need to transport that much money with you when you leave. You must declare amounts over ten thousand dollars, the form is a tax form which takes only moments to fill out.

As for the boom in foreigners living in Japan, non Asians make up perhaps 1/10th of one percent, so the streets aren't exactly teeming with them.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
miamou (Offline)
New to JF

08-19-2008, 03:25 PM

My only advice for a tourism travel : get a little notebook and draw on it some icons : WC logo, cash withdraw, some animals faces (pig, chicken, beef, fish...) for helping choice on a restaurant menu... It's easy, fun, and help to communicate.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
nhonho88 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 08-20-2008, 03:52 PM

I'm studying Japan now, it is so difficult to write and to listen . Moreover, Japanese people always sit on their legs, it is so hard to practice too because I get used to sit on the chair.
In addition, when I took part in a Japanese class, the teacher said that when greeting, you have to said loud to show your confidence and hospitality.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamou View Post
My only advice for a tourism travel : get a little notebook and draw on it some icons : WC logo, cash withdraw, some animals faces (pig, chicken, beef, fish...) for helping choice on a restaurant menu... It's easy, fun, and help to communicate.
One of the guys on my last trip was a vegan, and not one of those a-hole vegans as well, he made a little card with pictures of animals and an x over each one. He had no problems getting a vegan meal with that sign. the first part of this video shows the sign in use

Intermixi 08 CMs on Vimeo

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#15 (permalink))
Old
dogtoys (Offline)
New to JF

04-25-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffy85 View Post

- "How's Shopping?"

Not really different. But if you wear fairly large sized clothes/shoes, you'd better bring all you'll need with you. Large-sized goods in Japan are scarce, or very expensive, or make you look like a dork. Mail-order shopping is also growing in popularity, but the customs hassles can make it more expensive than you might imagine. Make sure you know ALL the costs your purchase will entail. There is also no custom of tipping in Japan -- people do not tip waitresses, taxi-drivers, etc. Before you come to Japan, getting a credit card would also be a good idea. Getting one in Japan can be very frustrating, with more trouble of finding a guarantor, $100 annuals, etc.
i just want to say don't forget to take shoes with you it can be Cross Training Shoes or Running shoes.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
glaffer (Offline)
New to JF

06-11-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Remember, those are all examples of things that may be more expensive in Japan. It should not necessarily be used as a guide to typical food prices. You can get a big bowl of ramen for 400-600 yen, and a full set dinner with miso soup, salad, rice, and entree for 600-900 yen. You can buy a large bottle of tea, cola, etc in a supermarket for only a little more than a can costs from the vending machine, and yet a cola in a restaurant will cost you 300-600 yen! There are many ways to save on food in Japan, and while some things like melons are expensive, others are actually cheaper than they typically are in the states!

Hi. You mean cheaper or a lot cheaper ? thanks