JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jordi (Offline)
New to JF

Living whilst Studying Abroad - among other things - 08-31-2008, 11:02 AM

As a lurker, I do apologise if this has been covered. It's not a question about how to go to uni/work in Japan - though the latter may come up pretty soon.

Nonetheless I'm one of those doing an exchange through my home university and got a shot to study in Tokyo for a year - getting the email was awesome, looking at the budgeting was not.

I'll do the quick rundown of myself - an Aussie doing an Arts degree with Japanese major (Chinese minor). After finishing it a year early in year 11, I wanted nothing to do with it. My interest in Japanese pop culture and anime had already died early and while I was having fun with the language - it didn't seem to provide a direction to what I wished to do in the future, not to mention studying/living in Japan was pretty damn naive already. This year, I decided to pick up Japanese again as I found languages as something a lot more worthwhile now and I wanted to give it a shot after two years. Being a pretty unmotivated person (a friend told me that I was less likely to get in from the looks of how I tackled the application), I was sitting around thinking of studying overseas (wanting to get out of the house and was seeing this as a trial period) but North America was looking too dear and my parents hated the very idea of America. So I was looking into Japan and before I knew it, I sent in an application and got the email. As a note, I'm not looking to work in Japan as the options that are being offered now aren't appealing to me (I have respect for teachers - so I can't disgrace them), living in Japan for the coming year to me is just a stepping stone to master the language along with taking the proficiency level exams near the end of my stay. My real plans lie with the experience of living alone, with a different language, and maturing.

The main purpose of this thread was just general information gathering. The biggest problem I'm having now is finding a way to gauge how much I need to live. I'm going to be living in the inner Tokyo area so the rent will be a little dear but I will be living in the university's international dorms (though I'm not 100% sure what it entails). I mostly am looking at a barrier of funds which could possibly be stopping me from even taking part in this program. I know it can be cheap if I pinch pennies, though I want to know how much would be expected on average to live in Tokyo and as well what kind of part time opportunities that could be available (above tutoring). My parents aren't in a position to provide the kind of ready cash that will be required of this trip and while I am eligible for JASSO I'm not holding my breath for it.

The problem I am finding with researching is finding guides which mostly deal with holidaying or doing an english teaching job/business in japan. Which is why I'm a little confused half the time with ways I can research on this topic.

Additionally, because of my selfishness, I am looking into travelling japan and cheapest ways to stay. I have been told about net cafes though I'm not too sure how that works either.

I'm very open to any suggestions, and am very much on my knees at this rate. Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-31-2008, 11:44 AM

I'm in a similar position. At what Univ did you get in btw? I'm at Waseda.

First off, don't Aussies get any kind of student loans that could cover your expenses? Or is it that you don't wanna loan money? I'm gonna live on my loans/support money mainly, and also money I've worked up.

Contact the school to see what their dorms cost. I don't think theyre that expensive (I think Wasedas are just under 60k yen /month). Well, it's not cheap either, but as it is a big city like Tokyo you really can't expect anything else.

You're right to not hold your breath for JASSO, and I don't think you're gonna get it unfortenately. My university advisor said those mostly go to people from poorer countries.

I can't give any real numbers on living expenses, but I'm sure others here can.

なんでやねん!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
NTREEG (Offline)
JF Regular

08-31-2008, 04:37 PM

If you can find a cheap apartment, I've heard of people living on 120,000 yen / month or maybe even less in Tokyo. I'm doing about 140,000 yen / month myself which would drop significantly if I cut out the Starbucks and western food. I've got a friend that lives in a guesthouse for 40,000 yen / month.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-31-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTREEG View Post
If you can find a cheap apartment, I've heard of people living on 120,000 yen / month or maybe even less in Tokyo. I'm doing about 140,000 yen / month myself which would drop significantly if I cut out the Starbucks and western food. I've got a friend that lives in a guesthouse for 40,000 yen / month.
Yeah, as the OP wants to keep costs down, an apartment is really out of the question. Guesthouse is the way to go (or school dorm).

なんでやねん!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jordi (Offline)
New to JF

09-01-2008, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the replies, I am prepared for dorming - which I will email them as you suggested to get a number for the rent. I am able to apply for a loan - however the educational government loan which is offered unfortunately doesn't apply to me as it requires me to return to full time study in my degree in Australia - I will be finishing my degree overseas and am unable to do any more. I am looking into getting a loan from my siblings or such who are willing to loan whatever they can for me. Again, I'm trying to get some decent numbers that will allow me to draw a budget list and maybe use to apply for the slim amount of grants offered to me currently.

The university I will be going to is Meiji Gakuin in the Shirokanedai campus.