JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

Career choices in Japan and living there. - 08-24-2008, 06:45 PM

Like many people, I want to live in Japan after I finish my university, however, unlike many people, I do not want to be pigeon holed into teaching English. Which is why I plan to learn Japanese fluently, or as fluently as I can before heading off there.

Here we come to my dilemma, It's my dream to be a musician, but I'm very well aware of the difference between reality and a dream. So as a second hand choice, I have Film Directing, and then Photography. And maybe if neither of them work out, Journalism and other Media type works.

MY question is this, how is the industry and work for Film Industry in Japan? I know in America, it's very hard to become successful, however, it IS the best place to become a Film Director due to Hollywood. What's it like in Japan? The pay? The chance of me becoming a Film Director, considering I'm on par with other Japanese Directors, due to the fact that I'll still be a foreigner? What's the demand of Film Directors like in Japan?

The same questions would go for Photography and other parts of Media. What are the chances of me actually getting a job in Photography and/or Media in Japan as a foreigner?

Thank you in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2008, 08:07 PM

Nobody will let you be boss of anything until you have paid your dues, and that means taking bit acting parts, extras, cameos, modeling, whatever you can get to get your foot in the door. But if you don't have EXCELLENT Japanese, modeling and non-speaking roles as an extra are as far as you'll get.

Good luck!

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

08-24-2008, 08:24 PM

Speaking Japanese will not be a problem, since I'm going to make sure I'm going to be almost perfect in communicating before I head off.

Thanks for the response so far though.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Many people want to pigeon-holed into teaching English? I am even sure what that means...

If you do want to start in the film industry, my advice would be to land a teaching job and find an apprenticeship or internship in the film industry.

With no experience it is unlikely you will be able to find a film company willing to give you a visa as a foreigner. But if you spend some time as an apprentice, it may help get your foot in the door.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

08-24-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Many people want to pigeon-holed into teaching English? I am even sure what that means...

If you do want to start in the film industry, my advice would be to land a teaching job and find an apprenticeship or internship in the film industry.

With no experience it is unlikely you will be able to find a film company willing to give you a visa as a foreigner. But if you spend some time as an apprentice, it may help get your foot in the door.
Ah. I forgot to add a few things. Before I actually move to Japan, I plan to get quite some experience in London and so on first. But I understand.

When I said Pigeon holed, I meant, that most foreigners use that way to get and live inside Japan. Which I'm not too keen on.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
Ah. I forgot to add a few things. Before I actually move to Japan, I plan to get quite some experience in London and so on first. But I understand.

When I said Pigeon holed, I meant, that most foreigners use that way to get and live inside Japan. Which I'm not too keen on.
Even with experience, unless you are well-known in the field, there is no reason for a production company to go through all the hassle and paper-work of hiring a foreigner when there are perfectly good Japanese that can do the job. That's why I think an apprenticeship is your best in.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

08-24-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Even with experience, unless you are well-known in the field, there is no reason for a production company to go through all the hassle and paper-work of hiring a foreigner when there are perfectly good Japanese that can do the job. That's why I think an apprenticeship is your best in.
OH? So you recommend starting with teaching English there first? And then getting a foot into Film through that? OR is it possible for me to get a foot in without the teaching part?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
OH? So you recommend starting with teaching English there first? And then getting a foot into Film through that? OR is it possible for me to get a foot in without the teaching part?
What you need is a visa and an income, and teaching gives you both. You could visit for three months, but that may not be enought time to get your foot in the door.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

08-25-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Like many people, I want to live in Japan after I finish my university, however, unlike many people, I do not want to be pigeon holed into teaching English. Which is why I plan to learn Japanese fluently, or as fluently as I can before heading off there.

Here we come to my dilemma, It's my dream to be a musician, but I'm very well aware of the difference between reality and a dream. So as a second hand choice, I have Film Directing, and then Photography. And maybe if neither of them work out, Journalism and other Media type works.

MY question is this, how is the industry and work for Film Industry in Japan? I know in America, it's very hard to become successful, however, it IS the best place to become a Film Director due to Hollywood. What's it like in Japan? The pay? The chance of me becoming a Film Director, considering I'm on par with other Japanese Directors, due to the fact that I'll still be a foreigner? What's the demand of Film Directors like in Japan?

The same questions would go for Photography and other parts of Media. What are the chances of me actually getting a job in Photography and/or Media in Japan as a foreigner?

Thank you in advance.
Its easy to say "If being a musician or film director doesnt work.. ill just drop back on Photography." With what qualifications?? Say you do go down that road and those jobs dont work out and you decide on Photography.. whats your plan?? walk into a company and ask for a job? "hey i have a camera im obviously a photographer hire me!." Or maybe you want to freelance. "Hey i have a camera, check it out it even has a lens hood im obviously professional (in joke) let me shoot your wedding for 3 grand."

Basically, I just dont understand how you plan to do it all. Sounds like you have no direction at all...

The only thing i can think of which you might be thinking issss getting your experience whilst in Japan. If you think your gona just pick up a camera and be a Photographer good luck with life because it doesnt work like that. And if your thinking that youv got enough "hobbie experience" as in becoming a photographer with the experience youv gained with photography as a hobbie wont work either. Do you think theres no other Photographers that will be going for jobs aswell?? you know.. ones that have gone to uni or done "accredited" courses or have worked as an assistant and slowly made a name for themself?????? - which leads me to my next point.

Unless you get real photography experience before you go (uni, accredited course) The only sort of job you could get would be working as a Photographers assistant. Its gona pay absolutely minimum to nothing at all. (mainly nothing at all, and definately nothing at all just when your starting.

(This post is huge but im still trying to explain so sorry.)

So if you go to Japan with no experience you might be able to land a job as an assistant. If you do it that way (the way with no experience upon arrival.) Its going to take a while before you even start getting paid. Your going to be carrying equipment and if your lucky they might even let you touch some of it. But using it?? lol. Your going to work with a few differant photographers (or thats how it usually goes anyway) as 1 might not have work during certain times. especially a freelance photographer work will be all over the place. So generally you woprk with a few differant photographers. but if you do that its going to take even longer to gain experience because its going to take a longer time for them to give you chances.

That might sound strange you work with more photographers but gain less experience.. You might get better at carrying bags but generally you want to build some sort of relationship with 1, 2 or even 3 of the photographers you work with so that they will give you more opportunities to gain experience through them.

Anyway as youv probably noticed by my long thread theres a few ways you can go about it. But what it comes down to is are you going to be able to work as an assistant while support yourself?? Im 19 im a "Amateur Photographer/Photographer Assistant." and i still live at home. Im at the point were i can very occassionaly land a solo job as a wedding Photographer. But you can count on it not being a very large one. I was lucky as i have family "in the industry" which was good for me as i was able to work with him which then helped me get other assistant jobs back home.

Basically unless you go to Japan with some sort of real experience your not going to be able to get proper paying job or you can get experience over there but then it comes down to be able to support yourself while your there.

MMM mentioned teaching english. that could work maybe. but remember what i said about freelancers working odd hours. they might ask you to come help do a job at 1 in the afternoon. your not gona be a teacher very long if you have to have days off to work as an assistant photographer.

I duno if you can work part time as a teacher?? no idea. even then you wont know if the person your working for will get a job on the day you work.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

08-25-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Its easy to say "If being a musician or film director doesnt work.. ill just drop back on Photography." With what qualifications?? Say you do go down that road and those jobs dont work out and you decide on Photography.. whats your plan?? walk into a company and ask for a job? "hey i have a camera im obviously a photographer hire me!." Or maybe you want to freelance. "Hey i have a camera, check it out it even has a lens hood im obviously professional (in joke) let me shoot your wedding for 3 grand."

Basically, I just dont understand how you plan to do it all. Sounds like you have no direction at all...

The only thing i can think of which you might be thinking issss getting your experience whilst in Japan. If you think your gona just pick up a camera and be a Photographer good luck with life because it doesnt work like that. And if your thinking that youv got enough "hobbie experience" as in becoming a photographer with the experience youv gained with photography as a hobbie wont work either. Do you think theres no other Photographers that will be going for jobs aswell?? you know.. ones that have gone to uni or done "accredited" courses or have worked as an assistant and slowly made a name for themself?????? - which leads me to my next point.

Unless you get real photography experience before you go (uni, accredited course) The only sort of job you could get would be working as a Photographers assistant. Its gona pay absolutely minimum to nothing at all. (mainly nothing at all, and definately nothing at all just when your starting.

(This post is huge but im still trying to explain so sorry.)

So if you go to Japan with no experience you might be able to land a job as an assistant. If you do it that way (the way with no experience upon arrival.) Its going to take a while before you even start getting paid. Your going to be carrying equipment and if your lucky they might even let you touch some of it. But using it?? lol. Your going to work with a few differant photographers (or thats how it usually goes anyway) as 1 might not have work during certain times. especially a freelance photographer work will be all over the place. So generally you woprk with a few differant photographers. but if you do that its going to take even longer to gain experience because its going to take a longer time for them to give you chances.

That might sound strange you work with more photographers but gain less experience.. You might get better at carrying bags but generally you want to build some sort of relationship with 1, 2 or even 3 of the photographers you work with so that they will give you more opportunities to gain experience through them.

Anyway as youv probably noticed by my long thread theres a few ways you can go about it. But what it comes down to is are you going to be able to work as an assistant while support yourself?? Im 19 im a "Amateur Photographer/Photographer Assistant." and i still live at home. Im at the point were i can very occassionaly land a solo job as a wedding Photographer. But you can count on it not being a very large one. I was lucky as i have family "in the industry" which was good for me as i was able to work with him which then helped me get other assistant jobs back home.

Basically unless you go to Japan with some sort of real experience your not going to be able to get proper paying job or you can get experience over there but then it comes down to be able to support yourself while your there.

MMM mentioned teaching english. that could work maybe. but remember what i said about freelancers working odd hours. they might ask you to come help do a job at 1 in the afternoon. your not gona be a teacher very long if you have to have days off to work as an assistant photographer.

I duno if you can work part time as a teacher?? no idea. even then you wont know if the person your working for will get a job on the day you work.
Firstly thank you for explaining in detail, I really appreciate it. And you're right, I really don't have much direction really, my main aim is to live in Japan, and then I was planning to build the other parts around it.

But that's why I'm here asking you for some advice. I need some sort of plan on how I'm going to do stuff.

I do plan to get some experience in Film, Media and Photography before I head to Japan ofcourse, if I can. Which will help slightly.