JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   I want to Live in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/18622-i-want-live-japan.html)

Pray 08-28-2008 04:34 PM

I want to Live in Japan

How hard is citizenship for 2 americans to get it would be me and my fiance we will both have at least 2 year degree's before going over there, and both speak English only. What is the easiest way or best way to get Japanese citizenship or dual American and Japanese citizenship with out getting married to some won Japanese. As we would go back at least once every 2 years to the states (most likely) depending on finance's.

Ps: I have researched Japan alot and I am willing to take classes in or out of Japan either way whichever makes it easier to get a decent paying job and my Fiance is willing to put the same effort in.

also how hard is it to get a house w/a yard in Japan

Please fell free to comment however the Clearer and More realistic the better I knoe this is not going to be easy and may take several years I just want a picture of exactly what i'm in for.]

Also we will most likely have a 4-8 year degree before applying for permanent residency/citizenship

manners 08-28-2008 05:09 PM

Come over and try working for a while to see if you like it.

Visiting is fun but living here is another game all together.

This is not advice - It takes about three years at least to even apply for residency then longer than that to apply for citizenship. And that is if you are married to a Japanese.

You need to talk to an embassy etc.

NTREEG 08-28-2008 05:22 PM

The criteria for naturalization are provided in Article 5 of the Nationality Act:

1. Continuous residence in Japan for five years or more
2. At least 20 years old and otherwise legally competent
3. History of good behavior generally, and no past history of seditious behavior
4. Sufficient capital or skills, either personally or within family, to support oneself
5. Stateless or willing to renounce foreign citizenship

Source: Japanese nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MMM 08-28-2008 05:29 PM

I think you mean you want permanent residency, not citizenship.

To start you are going to need work or student visas to be able to live more than 3 months. That means you need to find jobs, which are going to be difficult without 4-year degrees.

SSJup81 08-28-2008 06:44 PM

Adding on, I don't think Japan does the dual citizenship thing.

kenmei 08-28-2008 07:39 PM

Not to burst your bubble, but as others have mentioned...this will be extremely hard. And I'm pretty positive you will have to renounce your American citizenship to become Japanese.

1) Getting a Job will be extremely hard on a 2 year degree
2) Work in Japan isn't exactly a cake walk
3) You need to find a job which will have VISA support as well for a working visa
4) Like others have said, you need to be in Japan for 5 or so years first...so good luck with that
5) You're not married to a Japanese so it's even harder....

The quicker route would be to finish up your degree and hopefully find something in your field which can do visa sponsorship or look into the JET program/something similar. Hopefully then, you can figure out a way to stay in Japan and get a good job so you can start the process of becoming a citizen. But yeah, look into becoming a resident first...

AoiSekai 08-28-2008 07:43 PM

yeah

I want to live in Japan too. I think it RULES!!!!!!!! ^_^_^

Pray 08-29-2008 02:46 AM

^-^

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 571520)
I think you mean you want permanent residency, not citizenship.

To start you are going to need work or student visas to be able to live more than 3 months. That means you need to find jobs, which are going to be difficult without 4-year degrees.

I'll be getting my bachelors (4year) and possibly a 8 year degree in the Us before I move , but i do plan on staying after my 2 year for awhile and my fiance will prob get a 8 year at least 4 like me b4 moving to anywhere unless its English speaking, so we can learn in our native languages.

Pray 08-29-2008 02:49 AM

^-^

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenmei (Post 571593)
Not to burst your bubble, but as others have mentioned...this will be extremely hard. And I'm pretty positive you will have to renounce your American citizenship to become Japanese.

1) Getting a Job will be extremely hard on a 2 year degree
2) Work in Japan isn't exactly a cake walk
3) You need to find a job which will have VISA support as well for a working visa
4) Like others have said, you need to be in Japan for 5 or so years first...so good luck with that
5) You're not married to a Japanese so it's even harder....

The quicker route would be to finish up your degree and hopefully find something in your field which can do visa sponsorship or look into the JET program/something similar. Hopefully then, you can figure out a way to stay in Japan and get a good job so you can start the process of becoming a citizen. But yeah, look into becoming a resident first...

Yeah i knoe its gonna be the biggest firkin head ache of my life. Yes it will be very hard since i'm marrying American and we plan on living there together, as a American cupple LoL hardest thing ever i knoe

Nyororin 08-29-2008 03:46 AM

Don`t even consider citizenship yet.
You aren`t even in Japan as a tourist, let alone in the position to say you want citizenship.

Take a look at some of the other threads. It isn`t as simple as just moving. You will need to have income, which means you`ll need a job - to get a job you`ll need a visa - to get a visa you`ll need a guarantee from a company. To get that guarantee, you`ll have to have a 4 year degree.

You only have a 2. You may say you`ll have a 4 before applying for residency - but in the end, for anything more than 3 months of tourism you will need that degree to be in Japan.

As for a house with a yard - where in Japan? If you mean in Tokyo, forget it and keep on dreaming. How big of a yard? Little gardens aren`t scarce, but big chunks of land are. What is your budget? etc...