LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-05-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktokyoite View Post
I have no idea what you are like - your preferences, but I'm with MMM - I wouldn't bring anything with you that you can't carry. Deodorant being the exception. Toothpaste- Aquafresh is readily available if you like that one.

There are lots of Sayonara sales here - people who come, stay for a year and then leave. You can get most stuff you need here and it is usually pretty good. That's what I did coming back this year - I bought my tv, washing machine, fridge, etc through sayonara adverts. Just make sure you check what you're getting. It may not be your cup of tea but.... it's an idea. For a clue about prices check out this link Metropolis Classifieds: Japan's No 1 classifieds
Aquafresh is available here, but it's completely different from what is sold in America; toothpaste sold in Japan does not contain fluoride. If you are staying here for several years, bring as much as you possibly can.

Examples. Nike Air running shoes. USA price, $99, Japan price $159. Ike Behar dress shirt, USA price $79, Japan price $129. 7 for all Mankind Jeans, USA price $149, Japan price $299. Adidas baseball cap, USA price, $14.99, Japan price, $29. HP dv2000 notebook pc. USA price, $799, Japan price $1100. Ipod Touch, 32 GB. USA price, $449, Japan price $599.

Sayanara sales are a good way to get things, such as a fridge, tv, and furniture. But you should definitely buy clothes, shoes, socks and such before you leave.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ptbrock (Offline)
New to JF

09-05-2008, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up about toothpaste and deoderant guys.
Any other every-day items you can think of that aren't readily available over there?

I'm 6'1, so i've already been stocking up on work clothes and shoes
(#13 (permalink))
Old
OddGoo (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to OddGoo Send a message via MSN to OddGoo
09-05-2008, 03:24 PM

MMM , could you please elaborate on the tv set up being different?

Thanks in advance.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Saffy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Saffy85
09-06-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddGoo View Post

Thanks in advance.
Yeah that has me puzzled also. I was under the impression Japan ran NTSC, which is what the USA also runs? Maybe you are on about the 120v they run in the USA? Is it higher in Japan? I am sure there are cheap transformers available to compensate for such issues (not to mention you probly need a travel adapter also).

Back to Brock. If there is any sweets, chewing gum etc you love in the USA, take some along, if it is available in Japan it will cost an arm and a leg compared to back home. Stick with the Japan toothpaste tbh, Fluride has never been scientifically proven to prevent cavities and the side effects have never really been researched, if the Japanese can live healthy lives without it so can you.

As mentioned above, clothing, footware and toiletries are the main things to take. Also medication is pretty expensive from what I hear, try taking some asprin, paracetemol etc (maybe even post it over to avoid airport security issues, would not want them thinking your carrying a homemade bomb or summit lol).
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-06-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Japanese TVs are set up with dual audio tracks so you can switch between dubbed and original audio tracks when watching a movie on TV. The irony of bringing an American TV to Japan is that you wouldn't be able to switch to hear any broadcasts (even some news stations broadcast news in English on the second audio track).

The other reality is that the cost of bringing a TV to Japan is as much as it would cost to buy a brand new TV in Japan.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
OddGoo (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to OddGoo Send a message via MSN to OddGoo
09-06-2008, 09:50 PM

Thank you for replying!

The tv i would bring is mostly for gaming, a 47" LCD screen I bough after saving for months, maybe I can stuff everything in a single package as it is quite flat.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-08-2008, 03:33 AM

An interessting fact about televisions in Japan is that they also cost 1/3 more here than they do in America.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-08-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Thank you for replying!

The tv i would bring is mostly for gaming, a 47" LCD screen I bough after saving for months, maybe I can stuff everything in a single package as it is quite flat.
Maybe Sangetsu knows, but I do not know if you can use an American TV to watch Japanese broadcasts.

Are you sure you have space for a 47 inch TV where you are going? That would be much too big for most apartments, dorms, or even homes.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Saffy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Saffy85
09-08-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
That would be much too big for most apartments, dorms, or even homes.
I would find that hard to belive, it would be more like a big picture on the wall used to game on. Lcd are pretty thin (most about 5-10 cm depth).
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-08-2008, 08:17 PM

You don't have to believe me. If you don't mind sitting in the front row at the movie theater it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by MMM : 09-09-2008 at 03:25 AM.