JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Blount123 (Offline)
New to JF

09-18-2008, 03:13 PM

I would like to work with young adults and children. Like helping them with bulling, peer pressure, and kids with anxiety. I was one who had panic attacks and went to see a psychologist.When I went to him, that was when I want to become one. I also like to study emotions.

"Freud: if it's not one thing, it's your mother." – Robin Williams.

“Man is the only animal for whom his own existence is a problem which he has to solve"-Erich Fromm.

ライアンブラウント
(#12 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
09-18-2008, 07:23 PM

good luck man, it seems near impossible from a realistic point of view. but then again, everything does before it's invented/created/introduced and becomes huge! it'll be a hard road, but maybe if someone likes your ideas you could get something started

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-18-2008, 07:27 PM

The self-indulgence of talking through one's problems is more of a Western concept, I believe.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
febe (Offline)
New to JF

hello...i've a doubt - 09-19-2008, 02:39 AM

hi!, i was reading about the guy who wants to be a pshycologits and i read the answeres about practicing with patients, so here is the case: i'm actually studing in medical school but i'm studing rehabilitation, i'm in my third year of school and i really want to go to Japan, u know for linving and working ..., so here is my question: do i have any possiblilities to work with patients???? and what i've to do for it??

Last edited by febe : 09-19-2008 at 08:21 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Eiji (Offline)
New to JF

Thumbs up You can become a psychologist in Japan - 12-06-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blount123;
I am still high school, but I want to live in Japan and I want to become a Psychologist. I plan on going to college in the States because I can get 75% paid for the first 4 years and maybe go to rest of college in Japan.I am going to major in Japanese and then get a master or PH.D in Psychology. The question is, Is it impossible to become a Psychologist in Japan? I heard psychology is look down upon in Japan. Is that true?
Hi Ryan, I only came across your post here on the net today and hope you get to see this as I hope it will encourage you to follow your dream. I am a clinical psychologist, trained and qualified in Japan, and practicing in Japanese. As previous posts have indicated, it will take a lot of hard work to achieve, but it is possible for someone born in another country to become a practicing therapist in Japan, working in Japanese and with Japanese clients.

I think your plan to study Japanese first and then study psychology at masters or doctorate level you is a very good one and would prepare you well to become a practicing Clinical Psychologist in Japan. As of April 2007 the number of Japan Society of Certified Clinical Psychologists stands at 16,732. You may want to keep an eye on this number as it is growing by over 1000 a year. It is given on this page link to the official website of the
Japanese Certification Board for Clinical Psychologists:

http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~jcbcp/what.html

Just to clarify one point, it is not necessary to attend medical school in Japan, America or other countries in order to qualify as a practicing clinical psychologist. To become a practicing psychiatrist in Japan it is true you would have to attend medical school and qualify as licensed doctor here. However to become a practicing psychologist that is not necessary. In Japan you need to be proficient in spoken and written Japanese and have at least a masters degree in order to be in a good position to become eligible to take the written and oral exams to qualify as board certified clinical psychologist. In addition You will also need to gain two years post-graduate experience working in a recognized clinical facility in Japan before you can take apply to take the exams.

As for you question about the information on this page being reliable:

Qualification and Registration as a Mental Health Counselor/Clinical Psychologist in Japan

Licensed Mental Health Professionals in Japan

... i wrote that a few years ago but the information is generally still current and i think it is still reliable..

I hope this will be of some help to you and wish you all the best and good luck with all your studies!

Last edited by Eiji : 12-06-2008 at 02:17 PM.