JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Blount123 (Offline)
New to JF

Becoming a Psychologist in Japan? - 09-17-2008, 06:35 PM

I am still high school, but I want to live in Japan and I want to become a Psychologist. I plan on going to college in the States because I can get 75% paid for the first 4 years and maybe go to rest of college in Japan.I am going to major in Japanese and then get a master or PH.D in Psychology. The question is, Is it impossible to become a Psychologist in Japan? I heard psychology is look down upon in Japan. Is that true?

"Freud: if it's not one thing, it's your mother." – Robin Williams.

“Man is the only animal for whom his own existence is a problem which he has to solve"-Erich Fromm.

ライアンブラウント
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-17-2008, 06:43 PM

I like the basics of this plan. I think majoring in Japanese is a great idea. Find a school with an exchange program so you can do a semester or year in Japan, too.

What kind of work do you want to do as a psychologist in Japan? I think research or teaching might have some possibilities, but having a practice with patients may require you to graduate from a Japanese medical school, which is going to be very difficult.

I have never heard of anyone going to a psychologist for therapy or anyone taking drugs like ritalin or psychosomatic drugs in Japan, so I don't know if there is a market for a foreign born therapist.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Blount123 (Offline)
New to JF

09-17-2008, 10:46 PM

I would like to start of as clinical psychologist and when I become more well-known and have more cash, then start my own practice. I was planning after my 4 years of US university(which I major in Japanese and Psychology) then go onto a Japanese college for Japanese psychology and maybe PhD, if I can.

“Man is the only animal for whom his own existence is a problem which he has to solve"-Erich Fromm.

ライアンブラウント
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-17-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blount123 View Post
I would like to start of as clinical psychologist and when I become more well-known and have more cash, then start my own practice. I was planning after my 4 years of US university(which I major in Japanese and Psychology) then go onto a Japanese college for Japanese psychology and maybe PhD, if I can.
I majored in Japanese in college, and I could speak and read pretty well, maybe at a 4th grade level...maybe a little higher...but there is no way I could have gotten into Japanese college, much less medical school.

I think you would be better off trying to graduate from medical school in the US, and then figure out what things are missing to practice medicine in Japan. Like I said, American-style therapy is pretty unheard of, but maybe you could introduce it to Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Blount123 (Offline)
New to JF

09-18-2008, 12:02 AM

I could start American-Style therapy to Japan, or get certified in Japanese Psychology.

ライアンブラウント
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-18-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have never heard of anyone going to a psychologist for therapy or anyone taking drugs like ritalin or psychosomatic drugs in Japan, so I don't know if there is a market for a foreign born therapist.
Drugs are highly monitored, and certainly not given out anywhere near as lightly as in the US... But there is definitely a market for psychology. I live about 2 minutes away from a large specialized psychiatric hospital. They do indeed do US style therapies, but try to keep away from using the "drugs can fix it all" type of thinking.

For a very light hearted (?) look at how these things are viewed in Japan, it might be a good idea to check out ツレがうつになりまして.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-18-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Drugs are highly monitored, and certainly not given out anywhere near as lightly as in the US... But there is definitely a market for psychology. I live about 2 minutes away from a large specialized psychiatric hospital. They do indeed do US style therapies, but try to keep away from using the "drugs can fix it all" type of thinking.

For a very light hearted (?) look at how these things are viewed in Japan, it might be a good idea to check out ツレがうつになりまして.
I have heard of psychiatric hospitals, but I didn't know they did out-patient care, too.

One thing Americans don't realize is that drug companies don't advertise during the evening news in other countries like they do in America. People are convinced they need the latest antidepressent because of commercials, not doctor diagnoses.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
shinjuchan (Offline)
New to JF

09-18-2008, 01:50 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you and I have heard the same information.

I've lived here for a little over 2 years and haven't sought those services myself, but I attended a lecture by a psychiatrist in Tokyo who said that psychology is practically non-existent in Japan. They've only just recently started anonymous counseling services for suicidal people, even though the absurdly high suicide rate has been around for some time.

Don't expect anything like the U.S. I personally would not recommend that you try to get a job in psychology here. When you add the language barrier, and the fact that you won't be taken seriously unless you can speak Japanese really well (at least JLPT 1 and can speak as accurately), the bar you're trying to hit is extremely high and is unfortunately, not very realistic.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Blount123 (Offline)
New to JF

09-18-2008, 02:02 AM

If I was a psychologist, I wouldn't ever use medication on mental problems, but if it is chemical, then sure. I also saw this website here. This article how to be a psychologist in Japan. Do you think this is reilable?

ライアンブラウント
(#10 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

09-18-2008, 02:11 AM

It also depends a little on who you think your target market will be? Are you wanting to work with adults, young adults, kids? If it's the younger end I know that the international schools here have psychologists and counselors who they work with directly for kids with issues. It is definitely something that is needed and although it is not yet a major area in Japan, I think that time is coming.

You could also gear to the expat market out here. Just a few more ideas to throw in the pot

Check my Website: TokyoTopia