JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Blount123 (Offline)
New to JF

Construction Jobs in Japan? - 09-17-2008, 07:58 PM

My dad has been jobless for about 7 months in the United States. He does constructon jobs like building mostly multifamily(apartments, condo's) and has been working as VP's and Project Managers his whole life. I been looking for jobs in Dubai, Singapore and I now going to looking in Japan. Is their jobs for construction in Japan for foreigners who has 32 years of experience in construction? Like working for American companies with Japan based projects.

"Freud: if it's not one thing, it's your mother." – Robin Williams.

“Man is the only animal for whom his own existence is a problem which he has to solve"-Erich Fromm.

ライアンブラウント
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-17-2008, 08:08 PM

After the the Great Hanshin Earthquake in 1995 a lot of foreign workers came to the Kobe area to help with reconstruction. The ones I knew were mostly from New Zealand and Australia. Unfortunately they were invited "under the table" as the Visa process would have been a nightmare, even to rebuild a devastated city. Some guys showed up with tools in their carry-ons and were turned home at the airport.

What I learnded from them is that Japanese construction and western construction techniques were very different. They don't use 2x4s, often use very limited insulation, etc.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-18-2008, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blount123 View Post
My dad has been jobless for about 7 months in the United States. He does constructon jobs like building mostly multifamily(apartments, condo's) and has been working as VP's and Project Managers his whole life. I been looking for jobs in Dubai, Singapore and I now going to looking in Japan. Is their jobs for construction in Japan for foreigners who has 32 years of experience in construction? Like working for American companies with Japan based projects.
My advice is to get out of Florida. The housing market there is the worst anywhere in the nation short of Detroit.

The one area where they doing serious construction at the moment is in El Paso, Texas. Fort Bliss is in the process of being enlarged as two divisions of soldiers are being consolidated there. As a result, many new apartments and shopping centers are being built in the city. UTEP is also trying to expand at the moment.

There is a world of difference between El Paso and Florida. Dry weather, desert scenery, and many Spanish speakers. But the cost of living is very low. You can go to Fort Bliss' site and see what civilian positions are available, and you can probably also find a list of contractors who are working for the installation.