JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Cruehead (Offline)
New to JF

Question Buying contact lenses - 09-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Hi, can someone tell me if it's possible to buy regular contact lenses in Japan without prescription? Do you have any price info? I bought one year's supply last year in Malaysia (under half the price from Germany..) and I am starting to run empty...
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

09-15-2008, 08:58 PM

The thing about contact lenses is that they are generally custom fit for your eyes. I'm sure though there are off the shelf-contacts much like you can buy reading classes though.

If it's for reading... I'd really recommend just glasses though. If you need it all the time get real ones.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

09-16-2008, 01:24 AM

Yea they're usually custom fit. But maybe you can buy them anyhow, if you know all the specifications... Sounds weird if you have to have a prescription for contacts, it's not like they're drugs.

なんでやねん!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Cruehead (Offline)
New to JF

09-16-2008, 05:51 AM

I'm using daily lenses i.e. that are used only once. Those are possible to buy anywhere in Europe and in some other Asian countries like Malaysia and Thailand. For a package of 30 buys for EUR 26.

Thanks for your help
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-16-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Yea they're usually custom fit. But maybe you can buy them anyhow, if you know all the specifications... Sounds weird if you have to have a prescription for contacts, it's not like they're drugs.
Of course you need a prescription. Everyone's eyes are different. It's not like reading glasses.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SGTOkinawa (Offline)
JF Regular

Exclamation Don't buy the wrong kind, you need a prescription ! ! - 09-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Contact lens abuse although may not seem like a big deal, is normally the first step in eye problems one of is:

Keratitis

Improper fitting allows oxygen to absorb into the eye faster then or at a rate greater then normal. The air around the eye, caring bacteria normally warded off by the eyes normal tear and wetting effect when you blink are circumvented by use of the contact lenses,

"My eyes get dry when I wear contact lenses."

Your contacts are not proper fit, or you have a low "tear" production and that "water in the eye" is what keeps you from getting infections like:

Pink Eye

Pink eye, or known as Conjunctivitis is no laughing matter, but not going to make you go blind.

These are two things, more are really gross and I don’t think you want to see a picture or a link.. do you?

Be careful, we'd hate to see you go blind and not see the keyboard anymore.

Peace!

SGT_Okinawa

U.S. Army Retired
38 years old
Married w/2 kids
Virginia, USA

(#7 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
09-18-2008, 11:40 PM

I wouldn't just buy some immediately.
its better to have it done safely, cleanly, and painlessly.

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-19-2008, 02:43 AM

you can, I did. Unfortunately you can't buy it unless you are check by an optometrist first. Most stores don't have an in-house optometrist but they do have a partner optometrist just beside most shops. Check-up price is around 3000-5000 yen depending on the clinic.

Some have in-house doctor and the check-up is free, but there is a bit price difference in price of contact lenses.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------