JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
PockyCrack (Offline)
Peace.Love.Unity.Respect.

Send a message via MSN to PockyCrack
Student Exchange! - 10-07-2008, 04:50 AM

Hello! I'm a sophomore and considering a student an exchange my junior year to Japan for a full school year and wondered if anyone had any advice to give!

Anything would be appreciated!

Teh Lilith!

LarukuLove
Furidashita natsu no ame ga
Namida no yoko wo tootta sutto
Omoide to daburu eizou
Aki no dorama no saihousou
No family :[[
(#2 (permalink))
Old
OsakaPapa (Offline)
I <3 Osaka

Send a message via AIM to OsakaPapa
10-07-2008, 04:57 AM

I'm not sure where you go to college at, but I did an amazing program through Temple UNiversity in Philadelphia at Temple University Japan. The school is right in the heart of Tokyo, and it's an American university in Japan, so all the classes they offer are in English, and all in all it was a really stellar experience.

Temple University, Japan Campus

Feel free to ask me anything about it ^^

なんでやねん

- Studied in Tokyo for my 2007 Spring Semester. Lived in Ota-ku in the Ontakesan area. Pics can be found on my Facebook. Feel free to add me ^_^
(#3 (permalink))
Old
PockyCrack (Offline)

10-07-2008, 05:00 AM

Well, see, that is the issue, I am not in college yet! I am just an advanced 10th grader in high school still, although my biggest worry is my credit not transferring and me not getting my junior year counted, then again it is a Japanese school structure which means they are light-years ahead of us...however my other fear is not money or anything, that is taken care of, it is just living with a family I do not know....

But, if I do change my mind and do it in college, I will consider that choice! ^_^

LarukuLove
Omoide to daburu eizou
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-07-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyCrack View Post
Well, see, that is the issue, I am not in college yet! I am just an advanced 10th grader in high school still, although my biggest worry is my credit not transferring and me not getting my junior year counted, then again it is a Japanese school structure which means they are light-years ahead of us...however my other fear is not money or anything, that is taken care of, it is just living with a family I do not know....

But, if I do change my mind and do it in college, I will consider that choice! ^_^
In short, Japanese high school is hell. I would MUCH rather do a year exchange in a Japanese college than a Japanese high school. High school means homestay, LONG days and lots of not understanding what the hell is going on.

Many colleges have English programs, so you would be learning in English, getting credits, living in the dorms, and being able to enjoy life with bit more freedom. I would encourage looking for a short stay high school program to see how you like it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
PockyCrack (Offline)

10-07-2008, 05:07 AM

So just do a summer or a semester program then apply again once I am in college? That would be easier, I'm sure. Although they're school calendar is very, very different then ours....I guess I am just nervous is all. ahahahaha

LarukuLove
Omoide to daburu eizou
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-07-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
So just do a summer or a semester program then apply again once I am in college? That would be easier, I'm sure. Although they're school calendar is very, very different then ours....I guess I am just nervous is all. ahahahaha
I am saying do a three-week exchange. Do you speak Japanese fluently? What are you going to "learn" in a semester in Japan besides Japanese, and what are you not going to learn?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
PockyCrack (Offline)

10-07-2008, 05:31 AM

I have the same problem in Japanese that I have in French and German, I can read and write in it, but I cannot carry on a conversation, so, I hoped that in Japan I could learn conversational habits much more easier. Also, I want a more rigorous course, I am in the IB (if you know what that is, if not, I will explain later) program at school, and I do not find it at all any different than the simple Advanced Placement. However, I do not know what I would not learn, perhaps I will see?

Furthermore, is homestay that horrible?

LarukuLove
Omoide to daburu eizou
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-07-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
I have the same problem in Japanese that I have in French and German, I can read and write in it, but I cannot carry on a conversation, so, I hoped that in Japan I could learn conversational habits much more easier. Also, I want a more rigorous course, I am in the IB (if you know what that is, if not, I will explain later) program at school, and I do not find it at all any different than the simple Advanced Placement. However, I do not know what I would not learn, perhaps I will see?

Furthermore, is homestay that horrible?
Homestay can be wonderful or horrible, it just depends on what you want and what they want and if that matches up.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
PockyCrack (Offline)

10-07-2008, 05:54 AM

I see, I see. I appreciate the help so, so much! Is there anything that I should know about Japan now? I heard the crime rate is severly bad and the people hate Americans, but then against I have also heard that it is lovely and the people love Americans.

It leaves me confuzzled.

LarukuLove
Omoide to daburu eizou
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-07-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I see, I see. I appreciate the help so, so much! Is there anything that I should know about Japan now? I heard the crime rate is severly bad and the people hate Americans, but then against I have also heard that it is lovely and the people love Americans.

It leaves me confuzzled.
Huh? In general, the crime rate in Japan is much lower than in America, especially violent crimes. And I have never met any discrimination as an American. Hate Americans?! We are allies. American movies and music are very popular. TV shows too. I don't know where you heard that one.