JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sauvecards (Offline)
New to JF

Can I Be A JET - 10-08-2008, 08:41 PM

I am new here and had a question. I am 22 and working on getting my degree in communications right now. I am very interested in trying "something new". Japan seems like a really good experience from what I heard and read.

My Question is.......
Is it possible for me to teach in japan with a communications degree from a detc accredited school?

Thanks you reading/advice.

Also, I am trying to learn Japanese too, I figure it never hurts to be bilingual, and I watch some anime so why not.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
10-08-2008, 08:44 PM

you can become a JET with a degree in underwater basket weaving, as long as you're fluent in English and from an English speaking country.

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
10-08-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
you can become a JET with a degree in underwater basket weaving,
My parents never believed it'd pay off for me!

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sauvecards (Offline)
New to JF

10-08-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
you can become a JET with a degree in underwater basket weaving, as long as you're fluent in English and from an English speaking country.
well I guess I should just go ahead change my major then.

so speaking japanese isnt a big deal?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

10-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSight View Post
My parents never believed it'd pay off for me!
ahahah

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

10-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauvecards View Post

for the job?
no
for general life?
maybe, but not so much

i've heard that speaking japanese and having been to japan/lived in japan can actually hurt your chances to become a JET. Cos, remember, they're aim at hiring you is to promote foreign culture and all that sorta stuff..not necessarily to speak to the kids in Japanese (when there's always another teacher with you who does anyways). Not sure how true this is, but some of the past JETs can probably confirm (MMM, ect).

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
10-08-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:

That's the kind of thinking you'll want to stay away from.

While you won't be focusing on speaking Japanese while you teach, you'll be in Japan for a year. You'll want to at least learn the basics to survive, that way you won't need a Japanese person constantly by your side to translate things for you.

While being fluent in Japanese may not need to be focused on, you should know the basics of it at least.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sauvecards (Offline)
New to JF

10-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Yeah ive seen MMM all over the place, seems cool.

I had all intentions of earning something like my JLPT 4n or 5n but for the most part your Japanese doesn't relate too much your job.

I figure you should know enough to not get punched in the face at the grocery store.

It annoys me when I meet people that live in the US and don't speak a faint word of English so I feel Im obligated to be able to partially communicate if I was living there.

Last edited by Sauvecards : 10-08-2008 at 09:26 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
taro (Offline)
JF Regular

10-08-2008, 10:15 PM

If you are in a city like Tokyo, Osaka.., you can manage daily life with only a few words of Japanese. You can learn Japanese in the evenings from volunteers in Japanese city offices.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-08-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah ive seen MMM all over the place, seems cool.

I had all intentions of earning something like my JLPT 4n or 5n but for the most part your Japanese doesn't relate too much your job.
I'm really curious what lvl 5 is going to be like, whenever they start using it.
Quote:
I figure you should know enough to not get punched in the face at the grocery store.
lol
Quote:
It annoys me when I meet people that live in the US and don't speak a faint word of English so I feel Im obligated to be able to partially communicate if I was living there.
I blame the US mostly for that. Technically the US doesn't have a "national language". It's understood to be English, but it's not official. And it seems that the US doesn't encourage those who come here to use it since the US caters to some of those foreigners (notice in some parts, we have loads of places with both English and Spanish signs?). With all this stuff to cater to the foreigners from Spanish speaking countries, there's really no need to learn it. Then, of course, there are those who might not feel confident with their English and don't feel comfortable speaking it or either a situation where they're still in the process of learning it.

As for the JET thing, it's not necessary to know Japanese, if you're an ALT (Assistant Language Teacher), but it is encouraged that you learn it while there on the program. If I'm not mistaken, they give you booklets and such to improve your Japanese or to learn at least the basics. I also think they encourage the participants to, eventually, try the JLPT.

If you go for the CIR position, it's a must to have a high Japanese language proficiency. In JLPT terms, the minimum of lvl 2.