JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
aichan (Offline)
New to JF

japanese - 10-18-2008, 03:18 PM

how much japanese should i know before i go to japan?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

10-18-2008, 03:24 PM

It depends heavily on your situation. If you're going there to be an English teacher its not required to know any Japanese. If you're going there to travel then you probably won't have enough time to make any friends regardless if you knew it anyway.

Knowing Japanese is never really required, but it will make your experience better. When you only can speak English, you are limited to who you can make friends with. Obviously if you speak Japanese fluently this opens up a lot of doors for making new friends and new opportunities for careers.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
10-18-2008, 03:28 PM

I agree. Knowing a lot of Japanese can help you out and open doors to many oppritunities. I recommend that you brush up on your Japanese.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
aichan (Offline)
New to JF

aichan - 10-18-2008, 04:11 PM

ya because if i go to japan i might get lost there and have no idea how to find my way because no one will speak englishT_T but then again..i am not even that good at englishXDD haha i am from the south usa so you can guess on my weird southern accentXD
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-18-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aichan View Post
ya because if i go to japan i might get lost there and have no idea how to find my way because no one will speak englishT_T but then again..i am not even that good at englishXDD haha i am from the south usa so you can guess on my weird southern accentXD
Who cares if you have an accent. That's no excuse not to use proper grammar and speak proper English. The accent just lets others know where you're from. I have a heavy southern accent, even though I'm in Virginia, but that doesn't change the fact that I can speak decent English. The accent should be irrelevant.

That aside, introductory Japanese would probably be the ideal. At least if you do get lost or something, you can say, in Japanese, that you don't speak Japanese all that well, and that you're lost.