JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Colin (Offline)
JF Regular

Exchange student going to Japan this March... - 10-22-2008, 01:55 AM

Hello. I am an American boy who is 15 years old. I'm going to be an exchange student for a year in Japan this March. I'm having trouble, though, deciding on a place i want to go in Japan. I want to go to an area where it is more small towns, preferably more to the south. I'm looking for a place where there are those traditional Japanese hills and forests and small rivers, you know. the ones that look all mysterious and amazing in those pictures. Does anyone have any recommendations of a place that would be like that to the south in Japan? If not I'm really just looking for a small, more traditional Japanese town. I like modern Japan most, but i think i would most appreciate and learn from a more traditional village/town. I do like things such as small temples and onsens

Thank you, and I'm open to any suggestions at all
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-22-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Hello. I am an American boy who is 15 years old. I'm going to be an exchange student for a year in Japan this March. I'm having trouble, though, deciding on a place i want to go in Japan. I want to go to an area where it is more small towns, preferably more to the south. I'm looking for a place where there are those traditional Japanese hills and forests and small rivers, you know. the ones that look all mysterious and amazing in those pictures. Does anyone have any recommendations of a place that would be like that to the south in Japan? If not I'm really just looking for a small, more traditional Japanese town. I like modern Japan most, but i think i would most appreciate and learn from a more traditional village/town. I do like things such as small temples and onsens

Thank you, and I'm open to any suggestions at all
What program are you going on that allows you to choose your placement?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Colin (Offline)
JF Regular

10-22-2008, 02:09 AM

I don't get to choose placement, but i get to request a certain area. I should've probably said that in the main post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-22-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I don't get to choose placement, but i get to request a certain area. I should've probably said that in the main post
That's OK...Japan is literally full of small cities towns and villages from top to bottom.

What kind of weather are you accustomed to? That might help you decide. Obviously the north is cooler but places like Kyoto and further SW can have brutally hot and humid summers. Tokyo is also hit by typhoons in the late spring and summer.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-22-2008, 02:14 AM

then try Beppu, Usuki in Kyuushu..

just been there recently and I love it..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-22-2008, 02:14 AM

You might try Wakayama-ken... Many small towns, lots of nature, yet near Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara. Or anywhere on Shikoku.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Colin (Offline)
JF Regular

10-22-2008, 02:41 AM

Thanks everyone for your recommendations It's late here so i'll check all the places out online tommorow afternoon
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Colin (Offline)
JF Regular

10-24-2008, 12:59 AM

Small update if you're interested: I'm thinking i might go with AFS. I've applied with several different programs

Clicky my signature for my experiences-in-japan blog