JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-14-2007, 04:25 PM

Also like Nyororin said the uniforms are different for the seasons, and it is decided by the teachers or board when the students are allowed to switch from one to other. It is not decided by the students.

Take for example the track suit like jackets, there are times in the day when it is really hot but the students cannot shed their jacket without permission.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

06-14-2007, 04:51 PM

Why isthe uniform code is restrict? If they are hot they cannot take off layers? Why? Also the teacher says when to change uniforms? As longas they wear one why does it matter?

Did this happen to you as well?

I ask a lot of questions, you don't have to answer them all. Gomen
(#53 (permalink))
Old
yamashita (Offline)
JF Regular

06-14-2007, 05:05 PM

@ nyororin

500 dollars for each of the 6 uniforms, or 500 dollars for all six uniforms??

and thanks a lot for replying!

schnickschnackschnuck
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-14-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamashita View Post
@ nyororin

500 dollars for each of the 6 uniforms, or 500 dollars for all six uniforms??

and thanks a lot for replying!
About 500 for each *set* of summer and winter. So if you have 3 sets - (a total of 6 uniforms) it would cost around $1500.

Gym uniform is usually separate, but they aren`t all that expensive... Something like $50 if I recall correctly.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-14-2007, 05:38 PM

I`ll try to answer these one by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
Why isthe uniform code is restrict?
Pretty much because it always has been. You can pretty much ask that about any school with a uniform.
The main reason is to eliminate visible differences between students, and it works pretty well. You wouldn`t know, just by looking at your classmates, who has money or who is poor, etc.

Quote:
If they are hot they cannot take off layers? Why?
When you`re working and wearing a suit, you can`t just take it off if you feel hot. It works the same way with the uniform.
I`ve never seen a situation where it was too hot or too cold and the teacher wouldn`t allow proper measures. It`s just about getting *permission*. It`s not like the teachers are going to make you wear tons of layers on a hot summer day - summer uniforms are really cool to begin with.
A more realistic situation is in winter - if it`s cold outside, you`re going to wear your full uniform to school (jacket and sweater) - but the classroom is really warm from the heater. I have never seen a teacher who wouldn`t allow you to take your sweater and/or jacket off. But you can`t just start stripping down the layers out of nowhere.

Quote:
Also the teacher says when to change uniforms?
Not when you can change your uniform - when the uniform changes from summer to winter and then back. Japan is pretty strict with this even outside of schools. You will not see anyone wearing short sleeves until after a certain date, regardless of how hot it is.
Basically, the school has it`s own rule on what day students switch over from one season`s uniform to the next.

Quote:
As longas they wear one why does it matter?
I think you might have misunderstood. It`s based on the seasons. Summer and winter uniforms are drastically different - everyone is supposed to be wearing the same thing, so it would be a mess if someone didn`t set a date to change over from one to the other.

Quote:
Did this happen to you as well?
Yes, for the 6 months I was in a Japanese high school.

Quote:
I ask a lot of questions, you don't have to answer them all. Gomen
No problem at all. I like answering good questions.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
jbsongaku (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2008, 02:40 AM

Im attending university in japan and it is the same here. Although we dont wear a uniform, it is true that you will not see short sleeves until a certain date. For winter is even worse I think. It was freaking cold here and everybody was still in their autumn clothes. Personally, I could not take it and I was the only one wearing thick layers for a while.

As for school prices, university is very expensive. Public (national) ones cost more than 500,000 a year. I will not even say for the private ones, as they vary a lot, but I have seen it go as far as 4 million for medicine school. I do not know how is it elsewhere, but it is extremely expensive under mexican standards. Back there for the money of a national public university I could pay half a year in the most expensive private college; or 50 years in the mexican national university

On the same topic, I have seen a quite disturbing sight. While I was attending a homestay program, I got to talk with some high school japanese boys and girls. They were divided into three classes per year. From A to C, apparently, C being the most advanced. I asked them how did they get to be in C class, and they replied they have been like that since junior high, or even before that. The problem is that depending on the class they were, they could only apply to some universities. So it seems that the whole education future of these children ewas pretty much decided as soon as they entered junior high. It is kind of frustrating.

@My other project, the Goal Setting Worksheet
@My blog in Japan, trips, experiences and life as a foreign student. http://www.wentblogging.com
@Advice for living in Japan, from grocery shopping to renting an apartment. http://japan.wentblogging.com
@僕のブロッグ。日本での経験、旅、留学生の生活。http://www.wentblogging.com/index_jp.php