LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

Cost of Living in Japan? - 10-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Hello people

Im back with a new question..
Is anyone living in Japan and know the expenses of living in Japan, for example would 200,000 Yen a month be enough to live on? Thanks in advance

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kudo (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to kudo Send a message via AIM to kudo Send a message via MSN to kudo Send a message via Yahoo to kudo Send a message via Skype™ to kudo
10-08-2006, 01:48 PM

well, it all depends on where you were going to live in japan. its a very big place you know, lol. like, living in tokyo will empty your pocketbook. lol.

200,000yen is about 900GBP.
and rent in itself is really big there. and then theres food (if you aren't used to asian cuisine, western food is available...but...its slightly more expensive....and living off cup noodles is easier said then done. lol)

and then social life will cut more into the remaining money. lol.

the amount of money you proposed would be more than sufficient though, looking at it from perspective. Jus don't over spend. ...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
maks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-11-2006, 01:15 PM

Im not sure about the 200,000 yen….i have afriend there and he lives in japan for about 10 years already…living in japan is expensive in terms of food….and when I say its expensive….it is expensive…about the rent……since my friend has a family already….150,000-200,000 yen is what he pays for the rent…don’t know how accurate is this amount since I don’t live there….maybe the house they are living there is big that is why it is expensive…

Anyway….this is not accurate but you can have some research on that….schooling would be another expense and it is expensive too…..

But when you say your salary is 200,000 yen per month then I think you can live there…
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Pete

Depends - 10-12-2006, 02:02 AM

Living a student/backpacker life in Tokyo in a 20sqm room and shared bathroom is easily possible on 200,000/month.

Bringing up a family, paying medical, saving money, schooling etc. in Tokyo on that is going to be mighty hard. You'll be living probably a 1.5-2 hours commute out of Tokyo (assuming you work there). Osaka and other cities are somewhat (but not massively) cheaper.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
nihonga (Offline)
JF Regular

10-12-2006, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maks View Post
Im not sure about the 200,000 yen….i have afriend there and he lives in japan for about 10 years already…living in japan is expensive in terms of food….and when I say its expensive….it is expensive…about the rent……since my friend has a family already….150,000-200,000 yen is what he pays for the rent…don’t know how accurate is this amount since I don’t live there….maybe the house they are living there is big that is why it is expensive…
In Tokyo, 200,000 yen is not expensive. Some of the prices are really high. Most places in Tokyo are small too, unless you are rich. People who come from America or the UK are often shocked by how small the apartments in Japan are for the price. Even if you find one with a price that is similar to Western cities, usually the place is much smaller.

Food can be expensive too, like you said.

If you want to live cheap in Tokyo, you should have a plan and a budget in advance.

"Youths of Japan, scrawl your graffiti in kanji!" -Tenmyouya
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kudo (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to kudo Send a message via AIM to kudo Send a message via MSN to kudo Send a message via Yahoo to kudo Send a message via Skype™ to kudo
10-12-2006, 11:36 AM

don't live in tokyo! problem solved. lol
if you live somewhere near tokyo, its cheaper to live. also, it doesn't tke much time to go to tokyo with pass and whatnot either. SO i'd take that into consideration. ^^
(#7 (permalink))
Old
thom

10-12-2006, 02:42 PM

Just came back from a 36 month assign. in Tokyo. From what I've found, the cost to live downtowne is roughly the same as living in New York City. Housing, food and transportation cost comes very close to being the same. Live outside the city, the costs does go down...but you pay for it in lost tyme and a LOT of waiting. You still only get what you pay for.

thom
(#8 (permalink))
Old
maks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudo View Post
don't live in tokyo! problem solved. lol
if you live somewhere near tokyo, its cheaper to live. also, it doesn't tke much time to go to tokyo with pass and whatnot either. SO i'd take that into consideration. ^^

dont live in tokyo is the solution, haha!!!!...i cant agree more....you better go there for pleasure...

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

10-12-2006, 05:34 PM

Me and a good friend are hoping to move to Hokkaido soon, we will have an allowance from my uncle 100,000 yen each.. of course i will find a job sooner or later. Thanks for the replys people keep em coming

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Pete

Hokkaido 100,000 - 10-13-2006, 03:54 AM

Dude, in that case try and arrange a family to stay with. Pay them board for a room. Unlikely in a city but possible in a rural area.

100,000 is not going to blow anyone's skirt up I'm afraid.