JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

11-15-2008, 09:19 AM

1) Academically, why did you want to study abroad in Japan?

Japanese and to get a break from my (harder) studies at home.

2) What can universities in Japan offer you that the universities back home cannot?

Japanese.

3) How are you preparing to meet your academic goals abroad?

TBH I didn't prepare at all for "meeting my academic goals".

4) Are there any political or social issues that interests you about Japan?

Yes. Well, pretty much everything that's different interests me in some way.

5) Overall, what has influenced you to study in Japan (besides the obvious answer of culture)?

Had a good time last I was here three years ago. Wanted to learn to speak another language.

なんでやねん!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
mrnicekid (Offline)
JF Regular

11-16-2008, 02:24 PM

1) Academically, why did you want to study abroad in Japan?

I was given the choice to choose between the United States, England or Japan to further my studies in Mechanical Engineering. Each country offers excellent universities, and the only difference is the language. I already know English, so I thought while obtaining a degree, why don't I obtain another language at the same time?

2) What can universities in Japan offer you that the universities back home cannot?

Better education facilities and a chance to experience a different culture.

3) How are you preparing to meet your academic goals abroad?

Before they let me fly to Japan, I was needed to pass an A-Level exam and endure an intensive 9-months class of Basic Japanese. Then another year of Advanced Japanese in Tokyo at a language school. Then I need to take the Japanese University Entrance Exam before being admitted. It was a long and hard process, but it's worth it.

4) Are there any political or social issues that interests you about Japan?

Well, Japanese politics is boring, but their social issues are interesting. The suicide problem, the 少子高齢社会化 (fewer children more old people society?), the economical gap etc. Every country has their own problems but much can be learned about how the Japanese handle theirs.

5) Overall, what has influenced you to study in Japan (besides the obvious answer of culture)?

Well, I guess there is nothing else except culture and language that influenced my decision to study here, because if you pull those two out of Japan, the county would be exactly the same as any developed country in the world.