JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

07-05-2010, 02:54 AM

As has been said by others, it's much easier to compose a list of what I don't like, because I like everything else.

I know Nyororin has also said this, but at this point, Japan is the familiar. Patriotic American? Yes, I am. However, I'm often surprised when I visit the US, how often I say, "that's odd" or "I remember doing that, but I don't do it now." I have now lived in the same place in Japan longer than I've lived anywhere else as an adult. And when I did live in the US, my positions were not as secure, my finances not as steady.

What do I like most about Japan?

1. Consistency. I am gainfully employed. I am settled. I have lived in the same apartment for two and half years, and I have things set up how I want, I have real furniture, I have a nice entertainment system, etc. Without this settling, Japan would be a far less enjoyable place.

2. My students. Everything I thought I would love about Japan, I do love about Japan because my students make the cultural events I do with them so much fun, and so like what I imagined when I was like so many people on JF: a teenaged fan of Japanese culture who thought he wanted to move to Japan. Without my students, Japan would be a far less interesting place.

3. Taiyaki. I love me some red bean paste inside waffles shaped like fish.

4. Kimagure Orange Road fandom. I have a significantly easier time finding KOR merchandise, have visited certain places that appear in the series (definitely a dream of mine when I was high school), and was able to meet the series character designer in Tokyo. If you're a major fan of a Japanese anime or manga, and I mean serious (my KOR collection is the largest in the world), you really have to be in Japan. The Japanese take their hobbies seriously, as should you if you come here! Be prepared for it.

5. School lunches. Soooooo much better than the American equivalents.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#82 (permalink))
Old
minamo9 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to minamo9
07-05-2010, 03:14 AM

The People.

You can not make a person love you, all you can do is to be a person who can be loved.
(#83 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-05-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
1. The relative feeling of safety.
The safety thing is a big thing for me too. Up here on inaka island in the town I live crime is almost non-existant. I've never locked my house and very rarely lock my car even if there are valuables inside. Can go anywhere, anytime night or day and never be concerned for my or my family's safety. There's virtually no violence and there's no vandalism. It's not until you live in a place like this that you realise how liberating it can be to live without any fears for safety.
(#84 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

07-05-2010, 04:46 AM

Definitely true, but I'd be careful about mistaking safety for liberty or taking either for granted.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#85 (permalink))
Old
ayumiyuu (Offline)
Satan's Bitch

07-05-2010, 08:09 AM

What I do love about Japan..that's my crush for today:
YouTube - 【SuG - Five Starz ~五枚目俳優~ 】FULL PV

SuG..oi!! XDDDD

"..but the trouble is, the world is peopled with poor idiots." /Marquis de Sade/