JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
alexlovesrock (Offline)
JF Regular

Two Jobs on one Visa? - 11-26-2008, 03:24 AM

If you get a job in Japan, say teaching English, can I do other things on the side without a seperate visa?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-26-2008, 05:36 AM

Yes, if the visa is a valid work visa.
There is no limit for the maximum amount of work you can do - only the minimum. Once you have the visa you can add jobs, change jobs, etc without any visa problems if you stay above a certain amount of income. (If I recall correctly.)

However, most companies don`t exactly want you working another job on the side that could potentially effect your performance there - and there is the risk of being fired. If you have another full time job lined up, that`s not a big problem. But no, and you risk losing your visa.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
alexlovesrock (Offline)
JF Regular

11-26-2008, 06:36 AM

Thanks a lot. Do you know if its possible to start a very very small company or some organization that can sponsor myself? Is there a way to apply to live in japan... like a Green card or something? The other jobs i would take would really be just to pay the bills till i could see if my small business would get started up..
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlovesrock View Post
Thanks a lot. Do you know if its possible to start a very very small company or some organization that can sponsor myself? Is there a way to apply to live in japan... like a Green card or something? The other jobs i would take would really be just to pay the bills till i could see if my small business would get started up..
It's not worth the effort. Starting a business in Japan from outside the country would take more work than getting a job here and then beginning your business later on. You would need to get a legal representative (lawyer) who would draw up what paperwork you needed, as well as sponsor you (take responsibility for you in case you break the law or cause other harm). This is rather expensive.

You should get a job first, even if it's doing something like teaching English. This will get you established in the country, and begin tax and credit history here. Once such a history has been established for 2 or 3 years, you'll have more options.

Your visa cannot be revoked if you quit your job, it will be good until the expiration date printed on it. But, you'll need to find a new sponsor (employer) when it comes time to renew your visa. Overstay your visa by as much as one day and you'll be deported and probably banned from returning for a length of time.

You can self sponsor yourself for a visa provided you can prove you meet the income requirements, and show that you've paid all of your taxes during your stay.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Your visa cannot be revoked if you quit your job, it will be good until the expiration date printed on it.
Really? I know of a couple people whose companies contacted the place where they were registered, and they lost their visa status within a month of quitting the job. They require you to list an employer, and if the company is proactive enough to ask to have their name removed, then the visa does fall into limbo.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
taro (Offline)
JF Regular

11-26-2008, 01:19 PM

besides, i don't know how one can survive in japan without a job.
you need to take special permission for any other job you want to take other than the one permitted by your visa type. also, your employer will sign a contract with you that will prohibit you to do another job without a permission. regulations and practices are interwoven......
(#7 (permalink))
Old
alexlovesrock (Offline)
JF Regular

11-26-2008, 05:37 PM

wow this is complicated..... in hong kong there is something called the quality migrant admission scheme basically its like a green card..... just like u need to fulfill come requirements (college education, no crime, etc) and you can get the right to live/work there... anything similar in japan? short of citizenship of course
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-26-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
wow this is complicated..... in hong kong there is something called the quality migrant admission scheme basically its like a green card..... just like u need to fulfill come requirements (college education, no crime, etc) and you can get the right to live/work there... anything similar in japan? short of citizenship of course
Nope, not really. Japan is very selective and careful about who is allowed to live there.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
11-26-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
the japanese equivalent of a green card requires years of residency (i believe 5) or you to be married to a japanese

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-28-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Really? I know of a couple people whose companies contacted the place where they were registered, and they lost their visa status within a month of quitting the job. They require you to list an employer, and if the company is proactive enough to ask to have their name removed, then the visa does fall into limbo.
Japan is full of people who were hired by Eikawas (or other companies) only to quit immediately after arriving and receiving their work visas. You are supposed to notify your ward office and immigration if your employment status changes, and your employer is required to give you the proper paperwork to submit to them if that happens, but your visa will not be revoked.