JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
The4thAggie (Offline)
New to JF

What options does a college grad have when looking for full-time work in Japan? - 11-20-2008, 09:18 PM

Howdy! I'm Zach from Texas. I am a semester away from graduating from Texas A&M University with a Technology Management major (Business minor), and I am looking at all my options for future employment. I've been curious and excited about Japanese culture since I was a kid. I make modest efforts to learn the language, and intend to make a trip to Tokyo within a year.

I have been pondering the extent in which I would like to be immersed in Japan (living their fully, travelling for business often, or just going every once in a while), and am open to all options. Vacationing for pleasure is obvious, and I have a decent catalouge of job opportunities that would let me travel to Japan (living in the states). I want to know, should I decide to live in Japan full-time, how might I go about getting prepared to (1)Be eligible to work in Japan and (2)Finding a job in my field.

I have numerous IT skills (MCSA/MCSE related Windows-network support work, technician experience, project management, and other decision-making IT experience.) My degree is specialized to government, education, and hospital fields, and I have 3 years work experience.

I know there are newspaper listings, but is there an online accessible database of job listings? Or should I just find a company in the states that is willing to put me up in housing for periods of time and switch back and forth?

Im a bit curious. The thought of working in Japan sounds fun, but I am new to job search in Japan.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
charosian (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to charosian Send a message via Yahoo to charosian Send a message via Skype™ to charosian
11-21-2008, 03:20 AM

try daijob.com
gaijinpot.com
careercross.com

you might want to try visiting there before you decide to stay there for a long period of time. i know this is a little late, but you can apply to the JET program which sends you to japan for a year to teach english, however the application is due nov 25th, so if you think you can bust out the app somehow and overnight it, its worth a shot.

http://8bitplus.blogspot.com/ Check it out, its fresh!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

11-26-2008, 03:26 AM

IT is a good business to get into. If you can speak Japanese (I didn't read your post well enough to know, sorry ^_^ you'll be in for sure, or even if you can speak English and some other language.

One of my friends is making buckets of money in an international trading business but he can speak Spanish, English, Chinese and Japanese with fair fluency in all.

Getting a Job as an English teacher wouldn't be bad for you to test the waters here. See if you can get used to being in a different country before you really make the leap and come for a career.

I wouldn't recommend JET if you're uncertain about what you want to do here. They have a one year contract that you really can't break (You can but it's more disgraceful for them and harder on the school) At certain Eikaiwas it's usually expected that at the 6 month hump most of their new trainee's will bail. At BunnyCo. (*WINK*) i was told something like 20% of all new people will not even show up at training. Using the company to only get a work visa so they can work elsewhere.

Keep your eyes open, check out jobs and what will sponsor a visa, ask questions and good luck

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-26-2008, 01:45 PM

Search the job sites but also consider seeing if a recruiting agency like Hays can help you out.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Miak (Offline)
New to JF

Re - 11-30-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
What options does a college grad have when looking for full-time work in Japan?
If you don't speak fluent Japanese, your only obvious option is English teaching.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Kai13 (Offline)
あゆ

Send a message via Skype™ to Kai13
11-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miak View Post
If you don't speak fluent Japanese, your only obvious option is English teaching.
What if we speak japanese, mandarin, portuguese, spanish and english? (having graduated in Japanese/mandarin)

自分のブログ!
見てみてください。

Last edited by Kai13 : 11-30-2008 at 11:56 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
taro (Offline)
JF Regular

11-30-2008, 12:40 PM

There are several US companies doing IT businesses in Japan. You could check those and try to get a posting in Japan (mostly Tokyo).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Miak (Offline)
New to JF

Re - 11-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai13 View Post
What if we speak japanese, mandarin, portuguese, spanish and english? (having graduated in Japanese/mandarin)
I don't think there are any members who are fluent in all of those languages on this forum, but if you find one, we can make a thread for them.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typing View Post
IT is a good business to get into. If you can speak Japanese (I didn't read your post well enough to know, sorry ^_^ you'll be in for sure, or even if you can speak English and some other language.
Really? Maybe I should start looking again, I failed to find anything 2 years ago, and gave up. Can someone suggest search sites for IT related jobs in Japan? Or manufacturing or mechanical engineering jobs posting in Japan?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SerApHimJhazz (Offline)
Arisa's Guardian Seraphim

Send a message via Yahoo to SerApHimJhazz
............... - 11-30-2008, 08:52 PM

Do they need English Teachers in Japan?

<font color=Red>Cused With Your Love</font>
A Seraphim That Fell inlove with a Human