(#11 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
So that means a company like JET right?
It seems easy enough for english teachers, But what about another job? Like an engineer , graphic designer ect.

And i understand why they would sponsor people from other countries to become english teachers, But why would they get foreign people to do normal jobs?
Answer: Unless they need some special skill you have that no Japanese applicant has been able to fill, they wouldn't...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Mehmet (Offline)
New to JF

12-07-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Answer: Unless they need some special skill you have that no Japanese applicant has been able to fill, they wouldn't...
So basically its going to be a pain in the ass to find a job other then an english teacher..

So this would mean being a Japanese Citizen does have its advantages unlike the other guy said.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
So basically its going to be a pain in the ass to find a job other then an english teacher..

So this would mean being a Japanese Citizen does have its advantages unlike the other guy said.
Well, there's a difference between being a full Japanese citizen, with the right to vote, a Japanese passport, etc, and not needing a company to sponsor your visa because you have it from some other source... I think that's what he was talking about. The former is much more difficult to get than the latter, and in finding a job, not going to make much of a difference. So long as they don't need to go through the hassle of sponsoring you, most won't care if you're a full-fledged citizen or just a permanent resident.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Mehmet (Offline)
New to JF

12-07-2008, 03:39 AM

I see, But arent the requirements for being a permanent resident and a citizen the same?

So becoming a Japanese citizen is more "hard" to get because of the paperwork and the fact that you have to renounce your current citizenship because Japan doesnt allow dual citizenship?

And if i were to be turned down becoming a citizen would i get another chance next year or something or do you only have 1 chance?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
saaxu (Offline)
New to JF

12-07-2008, 06:33 AM

To become a permanent resident you have to live in Japan for 10 years, less if your work benefits Japan as a country, you entered Japan as a college student and got a job in Japan after graduation, or you marry a Japanese. To become a citizen you have to demonstrate fluency, literacy, employment, financial stability, assimilation into Japanese way of life, etc. Then it's up to you and your immigration lawyer to sort things out.

But you shouldn't be thinking about citizenship unless you lived there for a number of years and feel that the benefits of citizenship (primarily voting) is worth it. Permanent residency is just fine since you don't need to renew your visa, it makes it easier to get loans and credit cards, you don't have to renounce your citizenship to any other country, etc.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Mehmet (Offline)
New to JF

12-08-2008, 12:19 AM

Hmm ok then i still have ALOT of time to decide wether or not i want to be a permenant resisdent or a citizen,

The school holidays are coming up here in australia and i dont want to waiste my time doing nothing? Does anyone know some sites for complete beginners to start learning the basics of Japanese language?

Thanks in advance,
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Mehmet (Offline)
New to JF

12-09-2008, 07:52 AM

Does anyone know any Japanese learning sites for beginners?
~ Domo arigato gozaimasu
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-09-2008, 07:55 AM

If you really are serious, go pick up Genki or another textbook and get started.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Mehmet (Offline)
New to JF

12-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Yes i am serious,
but i think ive got a problem with memorizing japanese..

Last night i learnt Oyasuminasai - Good night, I kept repeating the word to myself like 15 times, but as soon as i woke up today i forgot what Good night was in japanese,

Is this kinda thing normal??

Or do i have bad memory?

Last edited by Mehmet : 12-09-2008 at 08:14 AM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-09-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Yes i am serious,
but i think ive got a problem with memorizing japanese..

Last night i learnt Oyasuminasai - Good night, I kept repeating the word to myself like 15 times, but as soon as i woke up today i forgot what Good night was in japanese,

Is this kinda thing normal??

Or do i have bad memory?
It means you are learning random things without a foundation for memory. You don't know the writing system or the way words and sentences are structured, so it is normal not to be able to retain the memorization. Start on a strict program, and you will do great.