JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Jonat (Offline)
New to JF

Some questions about moving to japan. (Visas, Skills, General) - 12-16-2008, 12:59 AM

Hello, i'm new to the forum, and i've got some questions about planning and moving to japan, since i've asked about and got many different answers, i think it's time to get an "official" response. (I mean that as a majority opinion of people who have done it.)

First, a little about myself. I'm 21, male and looking at the tokyo (Chiba province?) area. English, and studying a world-renown computer repair technician course. Jobs in my area are pretty much non-existant, thanks to the credit-crunch, and i'm wondering if it's better abroad. (I'm also considering america.)

1) Do i need to speak japanese? - I know this is a silly question, but i havent studyied the language, though i have a good friend who is moving out there come january. And i've heard there are a majority of english-speaking workplaces, though if this remains to be true, i'll soon find out.

2) Do i definately need a work permit, and if so, which government do i get it from? I'm brand spanking new to the idea, and there's a large gap of information in my opinion.

3) Do employers *really* require you to have a permit, or is this just a false image of the correct way to go about working abroad?

4) How much money, is it recommended you'd need? Current exchange rates are looking bad for the english, and an estimate is just what i need. Also, how much is the living costs of japan? I actually don't know what something like a loaf of bread equivilates to. (£1.25 for a loaf should equal 175.5 yen?)

5) What's the easiest way to get in contact with an employer so many miles away? Any ideas how i could find the kind of employer i want?

Thanks all, i may have some more questions later. <3
(#2 (permalink))
Old
billysweird (Offline)
JF Regular

12-16-2008, 07:01 AM

1) For an I.T. job Business japanese is almost an essential they won't take anyone who can't understand the O.S, Drivers, Proggies etc. And for programming you need to almost be Fluent.

2)If you want rights then yes you do need a workers permit or you will either be working for Yakuza at the docks/Clubs/(some) Restaurants/Bars OR you will be working for Student wages (around 750 yen per hour) Or a dodgy Englsh school/daycare center which pays shit with no proper equipment.

3)Japanese are very anal about everything so yeh, the ones that aren't are usually not very secure jobs because they get found out quite quickly unless theres illegal pay offs going on somewhere.

4) I'd say around 3,000 euros should suffice to get you started that should last about a month. Most places your going to be staying the rent is going to be around 200 euros to 400-500 euros depending on whether you want shared accom or your own unit thats for a month most of the time though.

5) Jobs in Japan: Jobs - Japan Jobs - Japan News - Japan Info - Japan Apartments - Japan Classifieds - Japan Forums is a good one that or check in with your local japanese embassy.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-16-2008, 10:16 PM

Hmm...

I don't want to sound too harsh but take a moment to put yourself in the shoes of a potential employer. Would you hire a person who has limited work experience, one who doesn't speak a word of Japanese and can't even read the label on a CD or floppy disk?

Japan is not immune to the effects of the global economy and is in a recession itself. There are tons of qualified I/T personnel who are looking for jobs... many who can speak English as well.

But to answer your question, your employer will have to obtain a work visa before you can work in Japan and the minimum requirement for a visa is a university degree.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Jonat (Offline)
New to JF

12-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks for your input, i needed some level heads to put it straight to me. And as cool as working for the yazuka might be, i think it would be better hitting the american front. ;P