JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
paulf (Offline)
New to JF

Job In Tokyo - 12-27-2008, 11:56 AM

Hi

I'm looknig to go to teach english in Japan soon and was wondering how to get a job in tokyo. I'm worried if I go with a big company i might not get the choice of where I can live.
Does anybody have any experience with this?
Would it be best to go to tokyo first and get a job.

I have a million Q's but this is my first post so I thought i'd keep it simple

thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-27-2008, 04:47 PM

Perhaps you should give us some more information about yourself. ie. Do you have any teaching experience? Do you have a university degree? Are you fluent in Japanese?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
paulf (Offline)
New to JF

12-27-2008, 06:43 PM

I have no teaching experience, i was thinking of doing more of a conversationist thing. I know people who have worked in Japan with no teaching experience working for companys like nova and geos ( i think)
I'm in my 3rd year of university and hopefully will graduate in the summer.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-27-2008, 07:16 PM

Is there a reason it must be Tokyo?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-27-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulf View Post
I have no teaching experience, i was thinking of doing more of a conversationist thing. I know people who have worked in Japan with no teaching experience working for companys like nova and geos ( i think)
I'm in my 3rd year of university and hopefully will graduate in the summer.
Have you ever been to Japan? Do you speak the language? Are you convinced that you want to spend the next few years there? Is Tokyo a preference or a requirement?

Either way, you'll have to get a language school to sponsor you for a work visa if you want to work in Japan. The minimum requirement for that is a university degree but you have to realize that you'll be competing against many other foreigners. Things like teaching experience, living experience in Japan, ability to speak Japanese, etc. will give you an edge on your fellow applicants.

To get a rough idea on the jobs/pay in Japan, head over to gaijinpot.com and check out the Japan Jobs. You'll also have the opportunity to contact the schools to ask them various questions regarding placement, visas, etc.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
paulf (Offline)
New to JF

12-27-2008, 10:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I have (Japanese) friends who live in tokyo, also I traveled around japan for 3 weeks (where I met my friends). I really loved Tokyo (the whole of japan aswell) and would love to go back again
I do have some experience in teaching but only in music (1 to 1 tuition), I suppose it's better than nothing.
Thanks again
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-28-2008, 12:11 AM

There are lots of areas around Tokyo that are cheaper and easier to get jobs in that are still less than an hour away from the center of Tokyo...think about Chiba or Saitama or something like that.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
12-28-2008, 06:52 AM

From what I know, teachers make a fairly good living, but not a whole lot of cash. It'd be tough to make it in the big city with just a teaching job, but it can be done. I'd look into cheaper areas around Tokyo. Besides, if you're looking to teach for a bigger corporation, then they may be sending you all over the place anyway.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
paulf (Offline)
New to JF

12-28-2008, 06:40 PM

Hi

Thanks again.

I'm not to bothered about living right in Tokyo so it sounds like a good idea to be just outside and save us (I'm going with my gilfriend) some money.

I'll have a look at some of those links you said. i'll prob have some more threds on soon, thanks for the help, any other advice you can think of would be a great hel, thanks
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-28-2008, 07:33 PM

In what capacity will your girlfriend be going? Keep in mind that some companies might expect you to live in their prearranged housing, and live-in girlfriends are not commonplace in Japan, and are not looked upon kindly.