JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
JoBo (Offline)
JF Regular

01-01-2009, 02:54 AM

But i don't think that attitude is linked specifically to Japan.

My brother and his girlfriend were the same about moving to Australia. Living in the fantasy of all the great rumours without thinking of how it would be in reality.

So was my best friend about America, people get like that about loads of things but people have been specifically pinpointing Japan here.

Just like kids have over-ambitious dreams when they're young to be dancers or painters or pilots without thinking of it logically.

I eat Pocky and Ramen and Sushi, listen to J-Pop and J-Rock, i'm considering moving to Japan when i'm older and i love almost everything i've heard about Japan. But likewise i really want to learn the language even though i know it'll be hard and take a long time. I'm planning my ambitions logically, i've set myself the right targets at college to get into university to study a 4 year Japanese course and earn the qualifications i need to get a visa and eventually move there (if i decided to continue down that route). To be honest i suppose i'm a bit obsessed with Japan too But i'm not just obsessed about the fantasy Japan, i'm interested in the realistic one and i'm doing my best to learn all about it.

So i understand your point, but being strongly interest in a culture and having naive ambitions are two different things.

I think people are more annoyed about how people are setting themselves high goals with a naive attitude towards them in this case. Which i can understand people might disagree with but i don't think it's anything to get angry or upset about or to react to in the manner that people have on here. I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion but i don't like how people have been putting forward their opinions in factual form and being very negative towards the people who are trying hard to reach their goals and do their best.

~Chiiii_x
(#82 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

01-01-2009, 03:22 AM

I think Saaxu is mainly annoyed by people who are often referred to as "weeaboos". Basically they are people who try to act like they are Japanese.

There were these two girls in my Japanese literature class that always snacked on Japanese candy and they both told me they were Japanese majors. Everyday the one girl would be late and the friend would yell in the hall "HAYAKU". God damn, I felt embarrassed for them. Not only that but they say random Japanese words like kawaii and sugoi all the time.

I feel sorry for them because they are the ones who go to Japan and end up hating the place. Saw a girl in my study abroad program who was like this and she was on the verge of suicide.
(#83 (permalink))
Old
saaxu (Offline)
New to JF

01-01-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biginjapan View Post
I think Saaxu is mainly annoyed by people who are often referred to as "weeaboos". Basically they are people who try to act like they are Japanese.

There were these two girls in my Japanese literature class that always snacked on Japanese candy and they both told me they were Japanese majors. Everyday the one girl would be late and the friend would yell in the hall "HAYAKU". God damn, I felt embarrassed for them. Not only that but they say random Japanese words like kawaii and sugoi all the time.

I feel sorry for them because they are the ones who go to Japan and end up hating the place. Saw a girl in my study abroad program who was like this and she was on the verge of suicide.
Bingo. That study abroad girl was probably suffering from a major case of culture shock, something that many people wanting to living in Japan don't think about.
(#84 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-01-2009, 04:57 PM

It just cracks me up when I see people looking at Japan as though it's some sort of nirvana.

I've been to Japan several times and I've seen and experienced the negative aspects as well. I spent a summer busting my ass 6 days a week at a San-Kei job (Kittanai, Kiken, Kitsui) working and living with 3 Iranians in a 6-jyo apartment infested with cockroaches. I've been roughed up by some Chimpira in Tokyo, I've been in a car which was being demolished by a group of baseball bat carrying Bosozoku's, I've witnessed the slavery of Chinese working girls and of course I've been subject to my share of discrimination. (You'd think that a Japanese Canadian wouldn't be discriminated against but if happens a lot!)

With that being said, I still love Japan but let me tell you, there's a lot more to that country that Pocky, Ayumi Hamasaki and sushi.
(#85 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

01-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresin View Post
Also, just completely ignore everything MutsuYakumo says. He has butthurt over some past incident and tries to get everybody else down.
Right ignore one of the only people who is really going to tell you the truth. Kresin I'm sure you don't have the slightest thing about me so my best recommendation is for you to think before you speak. I'm 99.9% sure you've never been to Japan, better yet I sure you don't know one word of Japanese. In other words you don't know shit. I personally wouldn't tell anybody not to listen to someone who knows what they are talking about when I don't know shit on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv20 View Post
i just saw a report by the "bbc" and a program called"world focus".that the homeless in japan is a major problem.not just the old or disturbed,but many young people are losing their jobs.even in a hip place like shibuya,there's an under-belly of despair.i know this is supposed to be a "happy" sight,but any comments?
Think about this.

You can pay for school, but you can't buy Class.

Last edited by MutsuYakumo : 01-01-2009 at 05:22 PM.
(#86 (permalink))
Old
JoBo (Offline)
JF Regular

01-01-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biginjapan View Post

Oh i sees

Yeah my sister's just like that It annoys the hell outta me!

She likes to boast that she knows loads more about Japan and Japanese than i do but she only really knows about the fashion styles, some popular j-rock and j-pop artists (like Alice Nine and Rurutia), the odd japanese word and anime & manga. I'm the one who's studying the actual language in culture so i might not know what a souleater is or the theme song to Death Note but it'll only come back on her when she actually goes to Japan, not me

~Chiiii_x

Last edited by JoBo : 01-01-2009 at 06:04 PM.
(#87 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
01-01-2009, 06:54 PM

Let's see... I've been a fan of Japanese culture since around the age of... Five, was it? After watching a few samurai movies with my grandfather, as a sort of comparison to Western cowboy flicks. It was refreshing, and I wanted to learn more about it. I have not exactly been paying my dues in the language department, yet, but I have been going backwards in learning their ancient past, and becomings, movies, arts, technologies, and so on.

And, I'm freaking 18, but I still have NO intention of moving just because it's fascinating. China fascinates me. Spain fascinates me. Hell, Great Britain fascinates me. But I highly doubt I'll be moving out of my own country any time soon just on a whim of fascination.

I admire this boy's "passion" in wanting to live there, and all, but please, kiddo, just stay where you are until you have some foundation.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#88 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

01-01-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsandhopes View Post
my life long dream is to live in Tokyo japan i talk about this frequently to my parents and they call me a D*** fool i try to explain that japan is the most beautiful place I've ever seen i mean just the sights take my breath away i have gotten this dream since as long as i can remember but ever time i bring it up to anybody friends family coworkers tells me that's the most stupid idea that I've ever had but i know in my heart its where i belong but one of my good friends has also had this dream and he is also moving to japan when he is 18 we talk about this everyday at school well i know u have to get a good education if u want to move there im finishing high school in America and then planing to go to collage in japan when i turn 18 please help me on this journey and make my dreams come true? i would like to here some of ur stories about u moving to japan please?
Like your screenname, you are full of dream and hopes.
Have you got any set foundation/reality in that train of thought as well?

If you haven't any idea how hard it would be to MOVE there, you should clearly take up some proper research.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"