JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Is JET really a gift from the Gods? - 12-30-2008, 12:04 AM

I'm looking for various options for teaching English in Japan. The number one program right now seems to be the JET program. It's so competitive, and the process of applying seems to be so exhausting! Is it the competition that attracts people? Or is it really the best program to teach English with?

Also, has anyone heard of アミティー(Amity)? It seems like a really awesome teaching opportunity, and it doesn't seem so restricted. Also, there's a huge chance to bring in more money. According to the website, anyway! Can anyone be a witness to this awesome-ness?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-30-2008, 03:48 AM

I've never looked into JET but I have at least a dozen friends who've gone to Japan on that program and I've never heard any complaints.

Are you on Facebook? There's a JET Program group where you can talk to thousands of alumni.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-30-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
I'm looking for various options for teaching English in Japan. The number one program right now seems to be the JET program. It's so competitive, and the process of applying seems to be so exhausting! Is it the competition that attracts people? Or is it really the best program to teach English with?

Also, has anyone heard of アミティー(Amity)? It seems like a really awesome teaching opportunity, and it doesn't seem so restricted. Also, there's a huge chance to bring in more money. According to the website, anyway! Can anyone be a witness to this awesome-ness?
I've never heard of Amity, but I looked into Nova, AEG, and programs from Korea, China, and Taiwan, and JET was the best of any of them, by far IMHO. So it was the only one I ended up applying for, and I put all my effort into making it. I did get in, and I loved the program and Japan in general. It's not perfect, but they have a great support system (I can't emphasize how important it is to have fellow JETS to do things with, go to AJET events, talk to higher ups in the program or PAs when you need assistance, etc), they take care of your flight to and from Japan, training, Visa, and all the rest. The pay is better than any of the private schools, you teach during the day at public schools instead of night and weekend classes like many of the private schools require, and you team teach with Japanese teachers of English rather than being thrown into a classroom by yourself and told "teach them English".

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-30-2008, 05:13 AM

I knew (past tense: it was a while ago) lots of people who joined the JET program and every one of them enjoyed the experience thoroughly. Of course the flip side of having the support of fellow JET-setters is that you spend too much time in the gaijin ghetto.

My experience was the opposite. I joined a school that sent me to the boonies where there were no other gaijin. I had to learn the language to survive and have any kind of a social life. The result was that I made Japanese friends that are as close to me as my brothers and sisters. And I made more money than the JET people, lots more -- but that was back in the bubble days.

I think I had a point but now I've forgotten what it was. Anyway good luck with your endeavors and keep us posted!

『辛かった」といえる前に
「辛かったろう」と言ってくれる
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-30-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post
I knew (past tense: it was a while ago) lots of people who joined the JET program and every one of them enjoyed the experience thoroughly. Of course the flip side of having the support of fellow JET-setters is that you spend too much time in the gaijin ghetto.

My experience was the opposite. I joined a school that sent me to the boonies where there were no other gaijin. I had to learn the language to survive and have any kind of a social life. The result was that I made Japanese friends that are as close to me as my brothers and sisters. And I made more money than the JET people, lots more -- but that was back in the bubble days.

I think I had a point but now I've forgotten what it was. Anyway good luck with your endeavors and keep us posted!
Well, most JETs are sent to small towns, not large cities, so most don't have a "gaijin ghetto" to go to. But AJET organizes activities within the prefecture... mine was very active, probably 3-4 events a month, in various places around the prefecture. You could go if you wanted... some chose to go to only a few during the year, others made it quite often. I probably went to about 2 events a month. It was nice to see my fellow JETs and many of the events included Japanese people too. For instance, I went on 6 weekend homestays with Japanese families in the prefecture thanks to AJET. Another time we visited a Japanese orphanage at Christmas time. Other times we visited local festivals, such as the Crying Baby Sumo. It wasn't just "hang out and party with foreigners", that's a mistaken impression some have, perhaps because their AJET was not as active, involved in the prefecture, and creative as ours was.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan