JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tairii (Offline)
New to JF

Sumimasen Question about Japanese College - 01-04-2009, 04:00 AM

My problem is i want to go to college and the Japanese school year starts in May (i think) but i wont finish high school until June. Do i have to wait a whole year to start college or can this problem be avoided by doing the exchange student program? I have 10 us colleges i know i can get into i just wanted to know if my Japanese choices can still be an option without waiting a year.

Silence may be golden but duct tape is silver
(#2 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

01-04-2009, 06:58 AM

Are you wanting to go to a Japanese college? If so I'd say you have a zero chance based on your Japanese ability, you need to basically be fluent to attend a Japanese college. However, if you study at an American university you can head over there in your junior year or senior year. I say during these years because many colleges want you to have two years worth of courses completed. IES Tokyo is an exception. You don't even need to know the alphabets to go there.

Most programs are available in Spring and Fall. Fall semester usually starts in September and Spring in March. You can also do summer programs that last about 6-8 weeks.

Just try to calm down, Japan isn't going to go away anytime soon. By the way why do you say that English is Bad and Japanese is great? English is an awesome language and if you plan on living there that is probably going to be the language you will be teaching.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-04-2009, 08:18 AM

many colleges have exchange programs with Japanese colleges. You need to know if among those 10 colleges you can get into if any have exchange programs.

Exchange programs, in general are one year or one semester programs which are offered your junior year, after you have completed 2 years of Japanese study.

My university has an exchange with Waseda U. in Tokyo for 6 or 9 months. You must have a recommendation from the Japanese language department to even be considered.

Long story short, take a deep breath, get into college, get into the Japanese program, and THEN you can look at an exchange.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-05-2009, 12:19 PM

{Useless post, does not contribute to topic}

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me

Last edited by Kanji_The_Wanderer : 01-08-2009 at 08:26 PM.