JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do you think Driving is cheaper than public transport over all?
Driving is cheaper. 9 27.27%
Public transport is cheaper. 20 60.61%
I walk everywhere. 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Petrol Prices In Japan? - 01-05-2009, 12:13 PM

Was topping up the motor last night, and its about 83p per litre here in the north of England (thats the cheapest I can find) and I thought to myself "prices for petrol are cheaper now than they were when I started driving 4 years ago!" Yet, a month or so ago, I was paying £1.23 per litre of petrol!

I hear that not many people drive in Japan due to lack of parking spaces and other problems, but what are petrol prices like for you? Or if your not in Japan, what are petrol prices like in your part of the world?

On a separate note, do you think driving is cheaper than public transport?

Just to put this in perspective: £1 = ¥135 = $1.45(USD) at the current exchange rate.

Comments?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

01-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Was topping up the motor last night, and its about 83p per litre here in the north of England (thats the cheapest I can find) and I thought to myself "prices for petrol are cheaper now than they were when I started driving 4 years ago!" Yet, a month or so ago, I was paying £1.23 per litre of petrol!

I hear that not many people drive in Japan due to lack of parking spaces and other problems, but what are petrol prices like for you? Or if your not in Japan, what are petrol prices like in your part of the world?

On a separate note, do you think driving is cheaper than public transport?

Just to put this in perspective: £1 = ¥135 = $1.45(USD) at the current exchange rate.

Comments?
You were lucky, I remember paying £1.36 per litre for crappy standard unleaded.

Now that it is cheaper, I can buy High Octane for around 88p. I'm really glad it has gone down, it was starting to hurt my pocket.

Public transport is definitely cheaper, but driving is more convenient.

Last edited by kouichisan : 01-05-2009 at 01:44 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

01-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouichisan View Post
Public transport is definitely cheaper, but driving is more convenient.
Sounds like you haven't gotten the bus in a while. last time i did, it cost nearly 3 quid both ways to my town center and back. didnt make a difference about peak times or any of that crap.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

01-05-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you haven't gotten the bus in a while. last time i did, it cost nearly 3 quid both ways to my town center and back. didnt make a difference about peak times or any of that crap.
I live right next to the town center. It is probably 10/15 minute walk from where I live. I don't drive my car within town much, I drive when I want to travel to places like Leeds, Manchester, Bradford etc a lot.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

01-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Gotta love Bradford!

if i spent money on busses rather than the car, it would cost me well more than petrol per week!

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-05-2009, 01:53 PM

I find driving cheaper in the long run. In other words, with everything considered.

If I were single, yes, I`d say public transport is significantly cheaper... But with a family, it would cost as much to take a round trip to a department store by train as 10 trips by car.
The cost advantages REALLY become clear once you start taking long trips. We visit the relatives every month or so, and a train trip up there would be about 25,000 for the 3 of us - plus whatever else we buy to eat along the way, etc. By car, it`s less than 5000 even if we take the expressway.

Cars do cost to much to own and park if you, say, live in Tokyo and hardly ever leave the city. Parking spaces can run as much as renting an apartment it seems... But most other places and they`re not that bad.

Just filled the car today; 96yen/l for regular, 101/l for premium. At the highest in summer, it was 188/l for regular... And I can`t even remember premium as we certainly couldn`t afford it.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

01-05-2009, 02:01 PM

I'd say it costs the same as us then, because I buy the cheap stuff no matter what because I'm a student and I have no choice!

I spend about £20 a week on petrol, i worked out about how much it would cost me to do the same amount of traveling on the bus it would be.. just shy of £50.

Thats shocking! and thats just me traveling! I cant even imagine doing it with a whole family like Nyororin!

(#8 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

01-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I'd say it costs the same as us then, because I buy the cheap stuff no matter what because I'm a student and I have no choice!

I spend about £20 a week on petrol, i worked out about how much it would cost me to do the same amount of traveling on the bus it would be.. just shy of £50.

Thats shocking! and thats just me traveling! I cant even imagine doing it with a whole family like Nyororin!
You can buy a student railcard for around £60 for the whole month, which will let you travel an unlimited number of times in Yorkshire.

I have a friend that lives in Osset. But he commutes everyday to University by train. If he was to pay each day individually it would cost around £5 per day, so you can save a lot of money using student public transport passes.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

01-05-2009, 02:27 PM

but passes cost money.

wont be a student forever though, driving is the way to go! plus, i got some dragonball car window swingers for christmas!

(#10 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

01-05-2009, 03:14 PM

I would have to admit that public transportation is cheaper, but I prefer to drive. Gas prices here has dropped substantially, but I'm buying a new hybrid car next month so hopefully driving becomes much cheaper.

You can pay for school, but you can't buy Class.