JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-06-2009, 01:23 AM

I don't know, but make sure to book your ticket in advance!

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
01-06-2009, 01:41 AM

Yea, definatly book your ticket way prior to departing.

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#3 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

01-06-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaCrisis View Post
Yea, definatly book your ticket way prior to departing.
Thats not true if you go at night, most Japanese tend to go to the theaters during the daytime. I went to see Indiana Jones 4 during the late showing and it was like 75% full on opening day. And that is probably the most crowded it will get at that time.

I'd say book them on the internet a few hours beforehand but its definitely not required. Nothing like opening day for films in the USA.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

01-06-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Pretty simple question.

Are all western (Hollywood) films shown in Japanese Cinemas? Are there many big production Japanese films that are shown over they're (like hollywood equivilent?)

If western films are shown over in Japan (Which im sure they are.) are they subbed or dubbed?
Oh and to answer your questions. Most western films are subbed and they usually only show the more popular, blockbuster type films.

I'm not sure how popular Japanese films are in Japan compared to Hollywood blockbusters because to be honest I've only seen Western films in Japan, well except for the 2nd Bleach movie.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

01-06-2009, 09:44 AM

I've watched any number of western movies in Japanese theaters, and have yet to see one that was dubbed. A couple had subtitles, but even those were rare.

Japanese theaters aren't especially crowded, probably because of the 1800 yen and up cost of your typical ticket.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Generally, they only release a big movie into the theaters once there is a dubbed version available.
They will do a simultaneous run of dubbed and subbed. Which version it is will be listed on the schedule and when you buy your ticket you make the choice.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

01-06-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
probably because of the 1800 yen and up cost of your typical ticket.
It wont be long before England matches those prices, its currently just shy of £7 for your average ticket, but then theres popcorn and drink on top.. usually costs more than £20 for one trip with the woman.

Its cheaper to buy the DVD! heck, its cheaper to buy the blu-ray! And thats saying something!

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-08-2009, 06:50 PM

I have seen a bunch of movies in Japan. More western movies are subbed than dubbed, but there are both. It seemed like children's movies were easier to find dubbed (no rocket science there). Some theaters are free seating, and some have reserved seats, and some have both. The ones with both might cost a little more for the reserved seats, which are the best seats in the theater.

Japan has a booming movie industry, and I would guess about half the movies in theaters are from Japan, and the other half are foreign, including movies from the US, Europe, Korea, Hong Kong and other Asian countries and also even India.