JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
are1989 (Offline)
New to JF

Gap year - 01-11-2009, 10:17 PM

I'm going to japan towards the end of march and looking into the various travel options and where I might stay.

So far homestay is looking like a good option, but i'd love some advice from people who maybe have done something similar or just people who have suggestions. I really wanted to rent someplace, maybe a student appartment with a room free or something so I was a little more free... but I'm not sure thats possible...

I'm 19 years old. Want to go from the end of march to the end of august (get back in time for uni). And I've got about £6000 for the entire trip including flights. The flight is looking to be around £950 from heathrow to tokyo then a train to fukuoka with British Airways. And I ideally want to stay in fukuoka. Oh, and I have studied japanese for about 3 years in night classes and private classes so my japanese is of a fairly high level if that affects peoples suggestions.

So, any suggestions or advice would be great thanks.

Edit: Just looking at some websites... What about guest houses such as Tokyo guesthouse? or for homestay Homestay Japan-Japanese host family

Last edited by are1989 : 01-11-2009 at 10:47 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-12-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by are1989 View Post
I'm going to japan towards the end of march and looking into the various travel options and where I might stay.

So far homestay is looking like a good option, but i'd love some advice from people who maybe have done something similar or just people who have suggestions. I really wanted to rent someplace, maybe a student appartment with a room free or something so I was a little more free... but I'm not sure thats possible...

I'm 19 years old. Want to go from the end of march to the end of august (get back in time for uni). And I've got about £6000 for the entire trip including flights. The flight is looking to be around £950 from heathrow to tokyo then a train to fukuoka with British Airways. And I ideally want to stay in fukuoka. Oh, and I have studied japanese for about 3 years in night classes and private classes so my japanese is of a fairly high level if that affects peoples suggestions.

So, any suggestions or advice would be great thanks.

Edit: Just looking at some websites... What about guest houses such as Tokyo guesthouse? or for homestay Homestay Japan-Japanese host family
How are you planning on staying from March to August? If I remember correctly, citizens of the U.K. are only permitted a 90 day vacation stay, and any amount of time longer requires a visa. March to August is 4 months (that's factoring in your leaving at the end of March, too). That's about 4x30 = 120, which is around 30 days over the limit.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#3 (permalink))
Old
are1989 (Offline)
New to JF

01-12-2009, 05:05 PM

UK citizens are allowed to stay up to 90 days without a visa, then apply for an extension of up to another 90 days while in japan. And I have booked flexible flights due to being a student so I can change my return date if need be or cancel the flights and only lose £100.

Edit: I found a better flight for £650 that goes to fukuoka. Leaving me a little more money.

Last edited by are1989 : 01-12-2009 at 05:15 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
UK citizens are allowed to stay up to 90 days without a visa, then apply for an extension of up to another 90 days while in japan. And I have booked flexible flights due to being a student so I can change my return date if need be or cancel the flights and only lose £100.

Edit: I found a better flight for £650 that goes to fukuoka. Leaving me a little more money.
You need a visa to enter Japan. A tourist visa will be issued to you upon your arrival. I have never heard of being able to apply for an extended visa while in Japan before. Some people leave and go to Korea for a day and come back, but they are being more strict about that now, and aren't always letting people back in.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
are1989 (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2009, 12:17 PM

Japan Entry Requirements, Visas and Passports As is listed here UK Nationals do not need a visa for up to 90 days and can then apply for an extension, and my tickets are booked so I can change the return date to whenever I want should I have any problems while out there such as no extension or suddenly running out of money. And people have yet to actually give me any advise, just dispute what even the International Air Tansport Association says. International Air Transport Association And here is the Japanese Embassy's website in the UK, showing again I don't need to arrange a visa Embassy of Japan in the UK

Edit: Should have read yours more carefully MMM. Yes so I don't need to sort one out myself before going as Harold was suggesting, I will be issued one for 90 days, and can get an extension from applying to local immigration.

Last edited by are1989 : 01-13-2009 at 12:25 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-13-2009, 12:47 PM

Yes, you can apply for an extension...
In special cases where there is something serious preventing you from leaving the country within the limits of your original visa. NOT something they just give out if you ask.
Say, if you`re in an accident and can`t leave the hospital... Or if there is something that prevents the plane from flying, etc etc.

In other words - yes, anyone can apply for an extension. But don`t expect them to actually grant it.

Do not plan a trip under the assumption that you will be able to do this. In fact, they have been well known to turn away people whose return flight is not within the range of the original visa.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
are1989 (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2009, 04:07 PM

yet another page that says UK Citizens are exempt from needing to arrange a visa is their stay is below 6 months. This time from the ministry of foreign affairs MOFA: A Guide to Japanese Visas - Exemption of Visas. So why does the japanese embassy, international air transport association and ministry of foreign affairs websites all say one thing and people say another thing?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
yet another page that says UK Citizens are exempt from needing to arrange a visa is their stay is below 6 months. This time from the ministry of foreign affairs MOFA: A Guide to Japanese Visas - Exemption of Visas. So why does the japanese embassy, international air transport association and ministry of foreign affairs websites all say one thing and people say another thing?
Did you read the note at the bottom of that chart?

"Nationals of countries and regions that have taken measures concerning the waiver of visa requirements with Japan for stays of up to six months in principle are granted permission to stay in Japan for 90 days at the time of landing. Nationals of these countries and regions who wish to stay in Japan for more than 90 days must apply at their nearest immigration authority in Japan for an extension of their period of stay."

In other words, you don't need a visa.

I think people are getting the nomenclature mixed up. What some people refer to as a tourist visa isn't really a "visa". It's just a 90 day stamp in your passport.

Last edited by spicytuna : 01-13-2009 at 04:21 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-14-2009, 05:27 AM

I think you`re sort of missing out on what is being said. The stamp they grant you IS a visa. Is it granted through a program that allows you to automatically receive one when you enter the country? Yes. But that doesn`t mean it`s not a visa. In official documentation it is referred to as a visa. "Tourism visa" is the proper term.
You just don`t have to apply for it ahead of time if you`re from certain countries.

Anyway - I apologize for the mistake in my former post. I sort of skipped over reading that you were from the UK. So yes, you can legally stay for 6 months without changing your visa status (tourism).

Countries with a 90 day limit can also legally apply for an extension, and in that case what I said in the previous message still applies.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-14-2009, 04:55 PM

Please disregard

Last edited by spicytuna : 01-14-2009 at 05:22 PM.