LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Adan (Offline)
New to JF

01-22-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
That really depends on the type of activities you are looking at doing and where you will be staying.

But 5000 a month sound reasonable if you are not going crazy on shopping and souvenir

Not really gonna travel that much, but I definitely want to go to Mount Fuji and Disneyland.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Adan (Offline)
New to JF

01-22-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
I got my Softbank bill last week and it came out to $400 for 3 weeks! I didn't realize that I called so many people. Note to self : Never call... always text message...

Five thousand a month is definitely more than enough as long as you don't go overboard. ie. No Soapland for you!
I will use the phone primarily to get phone calls from family and friends in the U.S. And for emergencies in Japan.

I didn't know what was "Soapland" so i Googled it... Now I'm gonna have to try it at least once
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-22-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
I will use the phone primarily to get phone calls from family and friends in the U.S. And for emergencies in Japan.

I didn't know what was "Soapland" so i Googled it... Now I'm gonna have to try it at least once
Gaijin are often not allowed in "soapland", "massage parlors" and other (barely) legal prostitution places.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Gaijin are often not allowed in "soapland", "massage parlors" and other (barely) legal prostitution places.
Really? Wasn't aware of that. Though, i do know that strip joints allow Gaijin... I brought my friend to a place in Osaka, and he is as foreign as anyone can get
(#15 (permalink))
Old
kimidake (Offline)
New to JF

01-22-2009, 03:10 PM

too much for spending $15000 for 3 months. Travelling around Japan and stay in delux hotel .
(#16 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-22-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Really? Wasn't aware of that. Though, i do know that strip joints allow Gaijin... I brought my friend to a place in Osaka, and he is as foreign as anyone can get
Fuzoku establishments are pretty strict on who they allow in. Even westerners who speak perfect Japanese are turned down. Maybe it's their perception of foreigners or maybe it's something passed down from the elders. Not sure...

Many places will have a sign at the entrance which clearly states "Japanese clients only".

If in doubt, you can always visit the local annaijyo (information booth) at a red light district. I even asked a police officer at a koban for directions once.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-22-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Fuzoku establishments are pretty strict on who they allow in. Even westerners who speak perfect Japanese are turned down. Maybe it's their perception of foreigners or maybe it's something passed down from the elders. Not sure...

Many places will have a sign at the entrance which clearly states "Japanese clients only".

If in doubt, you can always visit the local annaijyo (information booth) at a red light district. I even asked a police officer at a koban for directions once.
Ha ha, thats amazing.. you know, being oriental, I find it extremely amazing that they can tell I am not Japanese from miles away... I even speak enough to pretend to be one, but they can tell.. its either my accent or my clothing that gave it away i guess
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:

The reason is that other clients don't want a gaijin's AIDS, so they keep it Japanese only.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
jewelpre (Offline)
JF Regular

01-22-2009, 07:07 PM

$15000 is whole lot of money, I guess!!! Why are you visiting Japan btw..

MyClozet.
Share for fashion statement, sell, buy and swap your
clothes and accessories.
MyClozet is cool place for fashion savvy people
(#20 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Ha ha, thats amazing.. you know, being oriental, I find it extremely amazing that they can tell I am not Japanese from miles away... I even speak enough to pretend to be one, but they can tell.. its either my accent or my clothing that gave it away i guess
They're pretty good at weeding out clients. I look Japanese (which is not surprising since my parents are Japanese) and although I speak Japanese fluently, those bouncers/doormen can usually clue in that I'm not a native citizen. In one instance, it was my clear pronunciation of the word "Web Site" which gave it away. The other time, it might have been my clothing because all I said was sumimasen before he asked me if I was Japanese.

Either way, I tell them that I'm Japanese but currently living abroad in Canada. That always works.