LinkBack Thread Tools
(#101 (permalink))
Old
zed (Offline)
JF Regular

02-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Zed, your English is better than most native-english people on this forum!
thanks, I have been practicing alot of writing lately and I check it before posting but there are still words that I have to correct even after posting.

HI JF I AM BACK!!!
Original language: spanish learning to write in english......so be patient.
(#102 (permalink))
Old
ffbittencourt (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to ffbittencourt Send a message via Skype™ to ffbittencourt
Thumbs up 02-14-2009, 11:01 PM

I'm aware that this isn't a new thread. Even so, I felt left out by the opposition created between Japan and USA in this thread (at least, linguistically).

I'm brazilian (ブラジル人), and I'm also a little embarrassed of writing in English, since my native language is Portuguese. The sensation of trying to express yourself using words you don't quite understand feels a lot like been naked, or exposed. But, hey!, since I'll be soon moving to Japan for a couple of years, at least, I should get used to this feeling, right?

Of course. I don't see the point of living in Japan if you're not diving in hard enough to become really fluent. My benchmark will be reading an entire newspaper.

Brazil isn't like Japan: public transportation's bad, most people get paid low salaries. My life here isn't bad though: I've graduated from a good college, and have bought my own car after only one year of work (so I don't take the bus no more! ).

Brazil isn't like the USA: only a few rich people live on huge houses, and crime here isn't as bad... the USA is a very violent country (talking about violence occurrence rates).

I'm not really trying to make any point here... there's no point to it. But the world is not bilateral anymore, and saying there are many shades of gray between black and white just isn't enough too. The world is colorful.

Very nice discussion, guys! Do you agree with me when I say that people who should read this thread are more likely not to read it?
(#103 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-11-2009, 08:00 PM

Thing is, if you're gonna live in a new country, but your OWN volition. You should be committed, you should stick through the good and bad. But most importantly, you should be ready. A lot of people just isn't ready. But that's not the biggest problem. The main reason is that they have unrealistic expectation, and even worse...

They want things to go their way

But it's Japan, over there, it's the OTHER way.

That's how it is...and you either accept it and adapt, or else, you'll begin hating it.

Me personally, when I was in Japan, I disliked it at first because of my immaturity and unrealistic expectations of how PEOPLE should be. It's not them, you have to take responsibility for everything that you do. Mostly, it's the way you see people and their customs. And the minute you don't get your way, most people start to fold.

But now that I think about it, me going to Japan was probably the most memorable experience I've ever had. Tell you the truth, I don't remember much things, and I don't take many things to heart. But there was a person that I met while in Japan, he touched my heart personally, on how to BE righteous, and that means more than anything.

And probably the main reason that I would want to live in Japan?

I'd rather be in a place where I'm the majority, and not the minority.

And that's good enough for me.
(#104 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

03-11-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I lived in Japan for just over three years, and go back to visit almost every year. I gotta tell you, life is a lot easier and my standard of living is a lot higher in my home country. I loved my time in Japan but will be happy not living long-term there again.

Why do I write this?

I have read dozens, maybe 100 different posts from people that say "I want to live in Japan" without ever having visited. I immediately do a facepalm when I see this, and to be honest it is hard to take most of them seriously. Now the "I would love to visit japan someday" threads much more seriously because those folks tend to be more realistic.

I titled this thread this way to get your attention, and I know I could live in Japan again if I had to or if I wanted. There are tons of things I loved about life in Japan, but there are also things I am not ready to sacrifice for the rest of my life just to be able to live in Japan (centralized heating, NY-style pizza, Christmas, etc.)

I don't disparage anyone that does live in Japan and has or will for a long time. It's a great experience, but for now I am going to throw another log on my wood stove, marinade a rib-eye and turn on some NBA basketball.

if you went back to japan, would you have a better lifestyle than the one you had previously when you were there?

(#105 (permalink))
Old
ny4u87 (Offline)
New to JF

omg what a long thread! - 03-11-2009, 11:38 PM

I am so glad you posted this, MMM. I'm only sorry I wasn't here near the beginning when it was still on-topic. I've been very interested in Japan and in visiting or even living there for a long time, and I've always looked around for information on what it's like, and been disappointed. I've been casually studying Japanese as a hobby for about three years now, and I enjoy a little anime and shojo manga, but I'm more interested in the history and culture of Japan.

Most of the time when I look for information on what it's like in Japan I get generalized statements such as "People are hard working there" and "It's crowded." Or worse, starry-eyed visions of a population of perfect human beings who spend all their time saving the city from giant robots and eating pocky. This is the first time I've gotten real, first-hand accounts of Americans living in Japan (without a bottomless wallet), and the realities of life there.

I think I still want to live in Japan for a short time, but I'm much more sure now that I've read your posts, MMM. I feel much better about calling a long-term trip to Japan a goal of mine now that I have some idea of what that will entail. I still don't have a real plan for how I will go about doing that, but at least now I know that Japan is a real country, not the Fantastic Mangaland so many of my crazed otaku freinds here try to convince me it is.

In fact, I think I like it more because of that. I'm still not going over there without a whole lot of money, a really good plan, and a WHOLE lot more knowledge in Japanese though.

Thank all of you with first-hand accounts for your posts, they were exactly what I've been looking for.

sometimes when I'm wearing sunglasses...I'm actually sleeping.
(#106 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

03-12-2009, 01:59 AM

I've moved between countries so many times in my life... It's not hard to imagine ending up living in Japan. But it's not currently something I plan on doing. A simple trip would suffice for me.
(#107 (permalink))
Old
ILikePi (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
I get sick of hearing that the only kind of people that say they want to go to Japan are anime/manga freaks. That's not true. I want to go to Japan and I really don't give a crap about either. I am VERY unhappy where I live -- a small town with nothing in it in Kentucky. I no NO ONE with ANY common interests wit me -- all of my conversations have to do with the weather, school, money . . . stupid stuff like that. I have no job opportunities with any of the careers that I would want. I find NO ONE attractive here. I am a young adult and have never been in any kind of relationship before in my life.

I want to visit Japan to see if I would want to live there because I think it would offer me happiness and opportunities that I cannot have in the US. I love the ideas of Japan and the scenery. I love the music and I find the men very attractive (physically, anyway). I think I could be more successful if being a foreigner is not a problem. I think I am the kind of person that may really like Japan and I am not an anime/manga freak. I am also aware that Japan is not a utopia. It has its share of problems as it is imperfect. Schools require uniforms, I will always stand out from the crowd, and many other things. People don't have to be an anime/manga freak and think Japan is a happy fantasy place to want to live there!
The USA is so large and diverse and you've lived in one place in its great expanse. That is not a good basis for deciding to leave the country. Only after you've experience living several differing places in the USA and then visiting Japan would even begin to understand which you would enjoy more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffbittencourt View Post
Brazil isn't like the USA: only a few rich people live on huge houses, and crime here isn't as bad... the USA is a very violent country (talking about violence occurrence rates).
Facts disagree with you friend.

Brazil
Murder in Brazil | Not as violent as you thought | The Economist

When you see violent crime stats you need to keep in mind the population of a country. The USA has a relatively low violent crime rate bested only by countries such as Japan. Also, the vast majority of violent crime in the USA is concentrated in a handful of hotspots (inner cities, etc) and are extremely easy to avoid. Few people live in huge houses here either depending on what you term huge. If huge is bigger than an average Japanese dwelling then most definitely!

Thread had some really nice info in it. Found it through a google search and just started scouring the forum for Japan info. A few questions about something mentioned in the thread:

The central heating, are there really no places with it or are they rare? Do you have the option of getting it when a house is built? And if so is the equipment involved prohibitively expensive? What kind of heating cooling is in each room? Implemented as kerosene heaters I take it? (was reading those are popular in Japan) And what for air conditioning exactly? Window units? If not where does the water vapor vent? I am so concerned because I have very bad allergies (mold). I have other questions but I'll start new threads for those. Asking these here since they are directly referenced.
(#108 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-17-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikePi View Post
The central heating, are there really no places with it or are they rare? Do you have the option of getting it when a house is built? And if so is the equipment involved prohibitively expensive? What kind of heating cooling is in each room? Implemented as kerosene heaters I take it? (was reading those are popular in Japan) And what for air conditioning exactly? Window units? If not where does the water vapor vent? I am so concerned because I have very bad allergies (mold). I have other questions but I'll start new threads for those. Asking these here since they are directly referenced.
I imagine anything is an option when building a house, depending on space and your budget. Most houses have a kotatsu in the living room and AC/heating units in most rooms. These are built into the walls. Mold is carefully filtered, and there are more powerful filters that can be used for those with allergies.
(#109 (permalink))
Old
ILikePi (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2009, 01:56 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! A few more details though Where does the water vapor for the A/C vent? Is there a drain pipe in the wall? Are the heating units electric or some petrol derivative? And the same unit does both a/c and heat or separate units?

I am sure everything is an option but is it actually affordable? If it is that rare it would be a specialty item and I'm sure demand a hefty price premium.
(#110 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-17-2009, 05:38 AM

I’ve seen this thread, but never had much of an opportunity to read through it. Every time I came to this thread to read/participate, I always got distracted by something else. Anywho, I finally read through the entire thread. I have no papers to write at the moment, and the tutoring session I have set up for tomorrow, I’ve already written out my lesson plan and such for it. That aside, it was nice reading through this, although, imho, most of what was said is just common sense. If one has depression issues and such at home, moving to a new country isn’t going to magically fix that. It’s like a person who had social issues or depression issues, and suddenly became rich. Money doesn’t “fix the problem”. If you’re a negative person in general, even with money, you’re still going to be negative.

That aside, I’ve always wanted to live in Japan for an extended temporary stay (by extended, I mean more than an actual year). I’d been interested in the country for years, and, ironically, since I’ve gotten older, one of my main interests of the country, aside from the whole harmonious atmosphere it seems to give off, is the country’s educational set up. I’ve been curious of experiencing it, or observing it, first hand for years. I am an aspiring instructor, so who knows what I can possibly learn from the way instruction is done over there. I also have a slight interest in ESL teaching, especially after coming across a student who had just moved to the US and was enrolling in the middle school I was working in. She was from Vietnam, and her English was very limited, just as her mother’s was when trying to speak. Her other son, who’d lived here for a good while, had to do all of the speaking. I felt bad that I couldn’t help in some way (especially since I hadn’t taken my “Introduction to Serving English Language Learners” class yet). I had to write the girl a pass and all that, but she still couldn’t communicate well, aside from the basic, “Hello” and such.

Hm, other reasons I’d like to go to Japan is to just challenge myself. I’ve lived in Richmond, Virginia for the majority of my life. I was too young to remember what New York was like for me. I want to experience another culture. I would like to see what it’s like to live in Japan, and I’d also like to improve my language skills. I’ve been studying Japanese for a good long while now, and it’s still pretty bad due to the fact that not too many Japanese are around me, so what better way to improve it than by going to Japan to actually practice it? I also would like to travel around the country, see the sights, see some of the festivals, experience the cuisine firsthand, attend a concert, experience maybe some healthy living (in the sense of using stuff like public transportation, and having more of an opportunity to walk places, as I’ve always lived in an area where a car is a necessity, not a luxury), maybe go to an onsen, etc.

The only things I could see me being a bit iffy on, are squat toilets (erm…given my height), my hair (I'm black, and wear it braided...and blacks are a major minority in Japan), and not having a dryer, as they aren’t all that common, which I knew prior to stepping into this thread. I haven’t had to hang laundry in years. lol I guess it’s like having to go back to a typewriter after using a computer for many years, but I’m sure you adjust.

I applied to JET for this year, but was rejected, so I can only hope I can manage to get in for next year, and while anticipating that, I can continue with working on my licensure. So, for the skeptics, I’m not one of those people who want to do JET just to get to Japan, I want to become a teacher, and it helps to observe different methods so that you can help fix up your own teaching techniques. Also, I feel that JET would help me tremendously for when I do return here, if I’m accepted. It would show that I’m a flexible person to even consider such an endeavor in the first place and that I have international experience to boot. I truly feel that it’ll look very nice on my resume.

As for the whole anime/manga thing, I do like some anime, but I prefer manga to it in most cases, but, as I stated earlier on, it should be common sense that what you read in a manga or what you watch in an anime is in no way a complete reflection of what the country is like. Anyone who believes so is definitely delusional or is either living in a fantasy world. That would be like someone moving to the US in hopes of becoming a Cowboy, because of our old shows based around westerns.

Oh, one more random thing…back in the 90s, seems anime was called “Japanimation”. As a matter of fact, I called it that for years, up until the early 2000s. Cartnoon Network even used to have a block once a week called “Saturday Japanime” in its earlier days. Used to show things like Voltron.

*Realizes this is longer than I thought*

Last edited by SSJup81 : 03-17-2009 at 05:46 AM.