(#231 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-03-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
It was a bit sardonic, I suppose, but not so much directed specifically at you. Just pent up frustration at dealing with far too many people who really are stuck at the stereotype stage. That tends to get to me much much more than what most people talk about as huge problems with Japan.
Yeah I know how that feels. When I was studying abroad and my 留学生 friends got stuck in that stage (they never left it), I started hanging with different people. The disgruntled foreigners do have the potential to shine light on a side of things you hadn't noticed before, but I personally prefer to steer clear and keep my days sunny.

Quote:
You talk a lot about people not voting, not putting a good pm in... But the thing is, people don`t elect the pm. They don`t elect any of the higher officials.
I know, but the people elect the lower officials who put the higher ones in. The only people voting are the elderly, those with old ideas and old, often racist (my girlfriend's grandparents...), ways of thinking. So they vote for like-minded people. Hence those people put futher like-minded people in higher offices. It's a clusterfu---dge in the Diet, and it's depressing that the last PM to competently serve a full term was 4 years ago.

But, we can't vote. And I can't convince any of my Japanese friends to vote. So it might as well be something I shouldn't waste my energy being angry about, right?

Quote:
My favorite example is the "baby-making machines" quote, which is worth a completely other post of it`s own.
I didn't hear about this, but I know with the negative birthrate and rapidly feminizing male population, Japan could use a couple of these machines.

Quote:
I would definitely make sure she knows what she is getting into long before there is any serious commitment happening. A month is still a vacation. I would say anything less than 6 months in one place is just scraping the surface. Her feelings may change quite a bit when she has 3 or 4 months behind her and realizes that there is no going back... Ever. 2 years also seems to be a huge turning point.
Yeah, the culture shock cycle is a 6 month initial process, and it takes a lifetime to fully adapt to living in a different society than your native one. In my first year in Japan, I was never "fully" there... I was usually thinking about eating a real pizza, or cooking with ingredients I can't find there, and so on... hm, mostly food-related.

Quote:
The fantasy fades away, and the relationship is no longer new enough to override the stress with love.
No! Love finds a way! I'm young and foolish!
Nah, I love my girlfriend more than anything (even dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets), and making it work is a huge priority to us (read: me moving to Japan). I know there's that point where the blush of a new romance wears off and that's where the real work kicks in, but I feel I'm moderately ready for it, at the very least aware of it.

Quote:
And pms. :P Still waiting for a reply, by the way...
Okay okay, I'm working on it! Hehe
I've been crazy busy and I wanted to put thought into what I want to ask you or talk to you about.
(#232 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

08-04-2009, 03:02 PM

excellent writing the two of you,

I only wish the majority of the how do you say: 'tweenagers' would actually spend the time to read them. I'm sure a lot of other people have, though and appreciate your time and thoughtfulness in replying fully.
(#233 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-12-2009, 06:28 PM

I have to agree this is an awesome thread from the start until now. I can't believe how many things I've experienced that others have and also having the same or different viewpoints. Very real life situations that do clear the idea of a Utopia Nation/Country (whether it be Japan or otherwise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post

My basic mindset is that every country has it's ups and downs. For me, Japan has enough ups to outweigh the downs. I can't see myself spending the rest of my life in Japan, but I'm positive it's where I want to spend at least a portion of it.
GTJ,

If you don't mind me butting in...

I'm curious is to why you don't see you spending the rest of your life in Japan?
Is there one main reason or a combination of others?

For me it was career wise choice.

Thanks.
(#234 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
08-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabijuice View Post
Life in Japan is more civilized in a way. In the US the scenary may be better on a daily basis, but here life is better on a daily basis.
Im not sure but i think you just called me, my family and anyone else i know a barbarian.

(#235 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

08-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Im not sure but i think you just called me, my family and anyone else i know a barbarian.
guess I've been here too long......er......um.......I think I meant "peaceful", yeah, yeah, that's it! don't worry I'm a barbarian myself, i just forget sometimes
(#236 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
08-13-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabijuice View Post
guess I've been here too long......er......um.......I think I meant "peaceful", yeah, yeah, that's it! don't worry I'm a barbarian myself, i just forget sometimes
Just messing with you i know what you meant it just came out funny is all.

(#237 (permalink))
Old
MysticLight (Offline)
Hi to JeF

Send a message via MSN to MysticLight
08-18-2009, 12:28 AM

If you believe you love japan or hate japan, you're right
(#238 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticLight View Post
If you believe you love japan or hate japan, you're right
Actually, taken to its extreme, I disagree with that. If you are absolutely IN LOVE with Japan as many younger posters here are, or you absolutely HATE Japan (due to racism, or still blaming the current Japanese people for what their ancestors did in WW2, etc), then you probably have an unrealistic view of the country and the people.

The point of this thread, from people who have lived there for extended lengths of time, is that Japan is a country with good and bad, fun and boredom, excitement and frustration. It's real life, not an anime brought to life, nor is it a terrible place. On the whole, I and most others think it's a very nice country, but also a very foreign one, which can be interesting and exciting at first, but may eventually leave you with culture shock or homesickness, and sometimes a temporary stay (either to visit or to live for a few years and then return home) may be a better option than "I want to live in Japan for the rest of my life!!!11!", which is a rather common refrain heard 'round here...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#239 (permalink))
Old
hanayuli (Offline)
New to JF

Not living in Japan - 08-20-2009, 01:43 AM

I believe I have read almost every single reply in this posting and I have found some very very wise comments. The people who say " I want to live in Japan because I hate America", these people will not realize what they are missing when they leave. I've traveled to only two different countries and being away from home in the US really gets to me. The lack of communication with the rest of the world will shock you. Unlike the US, Soooo many countries do not have open acessability to communication. Phone cards are expensive if you want to call home, internet is usually found in the internet cafe, you are confined to a smaller living area, you do not know how to get around the area you are in (worse if the person doesn't know the language). There are too many reasons for these fanatics to really get a grasp on reality.

I have been taking Japanese for about a year and a half now. I'm not great, I'm just beginning in reality I find that there really is alot to learn. I do get really 'annoyed?' when another anime quoting person jumps in the room and talks nothing but the anime and i want to learn japanese because I want to work with anime and play the voices draw them, etc.

I have chosen Japanese as well as Chinese and Spanish for career opportunities with first world countries. I would absolutely love to work with international communications. It really does seem so interesting.

But to learn Japanese, I believe I'm going to go for a study abroad. I don't think I'll live there for the rest of my life, but I really do want to go for a language learning opportunity.

I have stayed in third world countries many times and believe that I can deal with a cultural change sincerely because of experience.

Yuli

花ユリ
(#240 (permalink))
Old
BoyFromTheFuture (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to BoyFromTheFuture
Talking 08-20-2009, 02:04 AM

Never wanted to live there. Wanted to visit , go clubbing , see some of my fave indie bands and getthefuckout.
Oh and maybe stalk Maria Ozawa and Eiichiro Oda.