JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

01-31-2009, 01:22 AM

Haha, see, that's why I'm starting in small doses. I went for ten days, and fell in love with it (granted, that was a guided tour with hotels and everything already set up for us, etc. etc.). Now I'm going back again as a study-abroad student (hopefully) for a year, to test if I could actually enjoy living there for an extended amount of time. Once the glamour of Japan wears off and it just becomes "where I live", will even the love of Japanese culture be strong enough to overcome my desire, if I have one, to go back to the American style of living? Granted, my situation is pretty crappy right now (though I say that as a teenager stuck in a dorm room, I realize it could be much, much worse) in comparison to how it was back at home, but we'll see how it goes.

I understand where you're coming from, though. A pet peeve of mine is seeing all these people who claim they want to do the JET programme and become English teachers in Japan, and they don't speak a word of Japanese. I, for one, cannot understand how people would want to live in a country for three years or so as a teacher when they can't even communicate with their neighbours, or the clerks at the convenience stores. It doesn't make sense to me. Plus, I don't think some of these people really realize just how hard being a teacher actually is--I think they should try learning the language first, being a teacher in America where everyone understands them, THEN attempting something like JET. I think Americans tend to have a common mindset that no matter where they go, people will mold to accommodate THEIR needs, speak English to help them, and that living in Japan will be just like living in America, only with more wooden houses and sushi.

Everyone's experiences are different, though. I can only wait and see how mine turn out.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Altaru (Offline)
I want my Insanity back!

01-31-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
Yes . but i must become a manga -ka~! and meet UVERworld~!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
MMM... I could not agree more.

I DO wish to live in Japan, at least temporarily, because I want to work in translation, and I figure the best way to learn the language as close to perfect as I can is to go there, and immerse for a while.

Not to mention, I can't imagine a little face-to-face absorbtion of the culture would hurt when it comes to facilitating international communications, you know?

Squad 11 - Sanity isn't our style.

Emilie Autumn, in the middle. She's amazing. That is all.

"We're all puppets. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."
(#33 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-31-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I figured a thread like this would surface one day given how many hundreds of "i want to move to Japan" threads there are. I believe both MMM and Nyororin bring good idea's to the table that many people should pay attention too. I have not had the opportunity to stay in Japan for longer than 3 or 4 months and each time it was on business with my stepfather or just a vacation i can say i have not lived there in every sense of the word. I love experiencing things that's what i live for, do i want to live in Japan for extended amount of time yes 3 years or so, do i want to stay there forever no because i have many other countries i would like to go live in and experience as many cultures as i can before i turn to dust.

The biggest problem i have is when people seem to want to use Japan as excuse to try to run away from something. How many times have we heard (i hate my home country living in Japan will be so much better) this person has never even left their home country yet Japan seems like the answer to their prayers. "The grass is not always greener" its not just Japan its going to take work to live in another country weather it be Japan, China, Russia or Brazil.

I for one love Japan mainly history and the traditions i have no urge to be Japanese i love my diverse heritage which in some countries would be looked at the norm or interesting (i have 7 different cultures running in my blood) but not so much in Japan.

As i stated above both MMM and Nyororin stated some very nice details that i think will help lots of people. I will point out 1 of each and so of you would do well to pay attention.

MMM: "A love for Japan is not necessarily realized in living there. I love Japan, and have never had a job since college that didn't involve Japan or Japanese. I visit as often as I can, but sacrifices I am willing to put up with on a vacation I am not as willing to put up with for a lifetime."

Ask your self what you are willing to give up and what you are not willing to give up. You can find many answers for yourself weather you should actually try to move or not with just a little thinking this not only applies to Japan but others countries as well. Once again the grass is not always greener. Save yourself the aggravation and unhappiness and make informed decisions using a thought process or dont be surprised when stamps F on your forehead for "FAIL"

Nyororin: "I see it as quite unfair to judge the general standard of living in a place based on your bad experience in a crappy apartment. I am completely sure I could find something worse in your home country. It all hinges on what you invest into your lifestyle. If you don`t invest all that much - of course it`s going to suck."

If you are going to make a move somewhere you need to invest in it 100% and give it a chance not 10% not 20% but 100% otherwise you will find many unhappy things that will make you go this sucks im going home, you will also start looking for reasons to go home. Spending a few months in Japan is not really living it doesn't count as a tourist you are only going to see a fraction of society and how it operates on regular basis. If you are serious you need to do it wholeheartedly every country has it flaws in standards of living i could pick out just as many in the US as i can in France, China or Japan. The point is if you don't really give it a chance how will you know if its really for you or not. Would you buy 60K car without testing driving it first? If you time in Japan ends up sucking because you didn't really give it a chance whose to the blame you or the country?

Nyororin, MMM thanks for the great post you guys i think if posters seriously read your post they themselves can answer a lot of their own questions.

oh btw Nyororin did you get my PM?
When you say "invest 100% in where you live", that can mean very different things when you know it's temporary vs a permanent move. For instance, as was said before, if you know you'll only be there a few years, why pay several months key money and moving expenses if you don't have to? And why buy the biggest TV, stereo, car, etc that you can afford if you know that you won't be keeping these things, but turning around and selling them (or possibly having to throw them away if you can't find a buyer) in a few years when you leave? You don't tend to invest too heavily in lots of material goods that are hard to ship home when you know you'll be leaving.

However, conversely, you tend to invest MORE than usual in experiences. Every weekend I tried to do something, go somewhere, try something new. I went on more trips, visited temples, museums, went biking and hiking, went on homestays, tried new foods, etc FAAAAR more than I normally do at home, precisely because I knew my time there was limited. Many times I'd ask my Japanese friends or the kids I taught about a place I'd visited that weekend, and they, who had lived there all their lives, had never been to it! So in that sense, I "invested in my life" there much more than at home, where you have a feeling that "ahh, I can go anytime, it's a local sight." But you never do. Or at least not as much as if you knew your time there was short.

In a way, it's almost like "living as if you were dying"... "why invest in material things, you won't have them very long, but lets try and have new experiences as much as possible!"

By the way, don't mistake my comments earlier as "you shouldn't go to Japan". I love my years there, and it was quite possibly the greatest time of my life. But there are hardships and differences to living in Japan that people should be aware of, it isn't some magical-girl fairy tale land, and people should prepare for that when they go.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Banzai (Offline)
日本バンザイ~!

Send a message via MSN to Banzai
01-31-2009, 03:49 AM

Well, since quit a few people are telling about their experiences in Japan. I might as well give a go at it.

"Living in Japan", sure sounds nice to think or even say. While living in Japan I did begin to notice a lot of differences than how I lived in Canada. I'd even prefer Japan over anything else. Everything in Japan for me was like a new experience and filled me with joy. I don't know why I get extremely happy just by walking down the roads in Japan. The happiness is so extreme that I even get teary. Yeah it maybe weird to others but that is just how much I love Japan. I just tilt my head up, eyes wide open, smile on my face and than I take that first step out of my house right into Japan every morning. When I come home I go straight to the rice cooker and turn it on and prepare myself for yet another rice dinner. I don't watch much television. Maybe because I only have like 16 channels. I do like to turn it on and see what crazy random commercial or game show that may be on. At night I go into my modernized bed and move away the curtain blocking my view of the outside. I sit up with my back against the back board of my bed and take out a book to read. While I read I sometimes hear cars outside that sound like they're racing each other. Usually a minute after I hear sirens of the police going off. I always grin when that happens and just sigh and say "Those crazy Japanese". When actually going to bed I set my alarm early just for I can get up to see the sun rise above the city. Such a beautiful sight to see.

Even though I don't work in Japan I often help my friends out if they need anything. On some days I like going on vending machine searches just to see how many different ones are out there. I remember seeing one that actually dispensed deep fried french fries. Of course I bought some and yes they tasted great. I often walk by the common drink machine and always buy myself a Royal Milk Tea whenever I can. I just can't get enough of those. I don't have a car here but I don't mind. Taking a bike or train are not to bother. I would understand how hard it is to live here sometimes just by seeing how some of my friends are. I don't see them that much during the weekdays. They're usually getting educated and working at the same time. Once the weekend starts the fun can begin! I love going to sushi bars and udon restaurants. There are also these cool mini-bars that are the size of a normal bedroom. No lies. Though, you have to be 21 to drink in Japan. Well, they do have Asahi vending machines. If you've been to Japan you would know what Asahi was.

When festivals are going on or even events I will most likely go to them. When I was at the Sakura Festival in Okazaki I'd stop by a see all the amazing food that were being sold there. They call the "Corn Dogs" "French Dogs" here in Japan. The place would be crowded but I loved the fact that I was surrounded by my favorite type of people. The Japanese! I'd sit on the big open grass areas were people are scattered all over and just relax and enjoy the sights and sounds. Yet again I started to tear of happiness. The Mechanical Doll Festival was neat as well. I remember last time I went there the cherry blossoms would rain pedals gently onto you. They called it "sakura fubuki" I believe. It was such an wonderful sight when walking up to the main area of the festival. All I can say is that my experience of being in Japan is always unforgettable. I'd die for Japan.

>>>SOSDefinition<<<

私は日本語より多く学ぶことが開始されます。

Last edited by Banzai : 01-31-2009 at 03:54 AM.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
YoshimiTheEthereal (Offline)
Neo-Nebula

01-31-2009, 05:11 AM

Does Japan have no dryers or something? What is with you people not using a dryer? And is it true that to use the toilet, you have to squat over top of it?

If Japan is so bad, what country other than the US would be the best in which to live, then? I think Japan seems to have a lot of freedom and is rich in history, honor, and hard work. I am seeing a lot of push factors coming into my life making me want to 'shop around' and visit other countries to see where would be the next best place to live. I really don't think Japan is as bad as what you are saying. Maybe it is, but I am sure there is not many better places.

Quote:
"And so, if you say in a beautiful rose there are thorns, in Lareine there is me, and behind that there are these guys (Emiru, Mayu, and Machi)."
~Kamijo
(Kamijo is the beautiful rose and Emiru, Mayu, and Machi are the thorns.)
(#36 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-31-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
Does Japan have no dryers or something? What is with you people not using a dryer? And is it true that to use the toilet, you have to squat over top of it?

If Japan is so bad, what country other than the US would be the best in which to live, then? I think Japan seems to have a lot of freedom and is rich in history, honor, and hard work. I am seeing a lot of push factors coming into my life making me want to 'shop around' and visit other countries to see where would be the next best place to live. I really don't think Japan is as bad as what you are saying. Maybe it is, but I am sure there is not many better places.
In my experience most people didn't have clothes dryers. You could just hang your clothes to dry, and it saves power.

There are squat toilets, but those are only seen nowadays in train stations and much older homes.

This thread isn't about "Japan is so bad" it is about taking another perspective. Many people here post saying "I want to live in Japan" and I decided to ask myself the question and for me the answer is no. If you got the impression this is a Japan-bashing thread, then I should have been more clear in my first post. I love Japan, and I loved living there...I just don't have the desire to do it again.

Banzai, do you REALLY live in Japan?
(#37 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-31-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post

Yes, clothes dryers are extremely rare, and those they do have tend not to work very well. I think it has something to do with the electrical power in Japan. While quite a few people there own a washing machine (often with cold water only), I don't think I ever saw a privately owned dryer. Some professional laundromats had them, but that's all. Maybe things have begun to change lately?

And squat toilets were thankfully not all that common. My school had them, as did the train station and a few other places (some restaurants, etc). I avoided them unless it was a dire emergency. But the majority of places had western style, and a few even had electrical gadgets like a seat warmer.

But like MMM said, this isn't a "hate Japan" thread, we've all lived there, and loved it. Like I said, I wouldn't trade my time there for anything. But there are also some realities, some hardships, that never seem to be discussed with those eager to live there and who've never been, and that's the purpose of this thread, to point out some of the realities of living in Japan (and other foreign countries with very different cultures, languages, traditions, and amenities).

(#38 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

01-31-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Though, you have to be 21 to drink in Japan. Well, they do have Asahi vending machines. If you've been to Japan you would know what Asahi was.
...Erm, the legal age in Japan is 20, not 21. And I've heard they don't card there, either (and since they sell beer in vending machines, I don't really understand the point of an age of legality in regards to drinking, but oh well).
(#39 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-31-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixisticks View Post
...Erm, the legal age in Japan is 20, not 21. And I've heard they don't card there, either (and since they sell beer in vending machines, I don't really understand the point of an age of legality in regards to drinking, but oh well).
The adults watch those vending machines, and if kids are seen buying from them, they can get into trouble. Some boys at my school were suspended for a while because they were seen buying beer from a machine. But that's small towns for you, everyone watches (and knows) what's going on.

Also, I believe those machines shut down after a certain hour, too. Not sure about that, as I don't drink alcohol (though the Japanese tried everything to get me to drink, I would at most have a small sip for the kampai then switch to non-alcoholic stuff.)

(#40 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-31-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
The adults watch those vending machines, and if kids are seen buying from them, they can get into trouble. Some boys at my school were suspended for a while because they were seen buying beer from a machine. But that's small towns for you, everyone watches (and knows) what's going on.

Also, I believe those machines shut down after a certain hour, too. Not sure about that, as I don't drink alcohol (though the Japanese tried everything to get me to drink, I would at most have a small sip for the kampai then switch to non-alcoholic stuff.)
They shut down at 11PM, at least in Kansai. And now you need an ID to buy smokes from a cigarette machine. Not sure if you need it for the beer machines, too. If so, how are the homeless guys going to buy their One Cup Ozeki?