(#201 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Chile Send a message via Skype™ to Chile
07-08-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
I think Chile means that they put the most importance on getting money. I had a Chinese girlfriend that all she thought of was business and how to make money. Needless to say I thought she should have thought more of me than business as I thought of her, so we broke up.
That is exactly what I am referring to. In any society you will find that, of course. But, based upon my interactions with exchange students, people online, and stories from my friend, it seems to take on a new life in Eastern Asian cultures.

I am sorry MMM, I am having difficulty explaining what I mean.
It is simply that I have not found philosophical thinking to be held in very high regard, or even well understood. But this may be unfair of me, given my lack of experience. I am traveling, after all, because I want to know more about the world and humanity.
(#202 (permalink))
Old
yuenflai (Offline)
New to JF

Japan - 07-08-2009, 01:15 AM

I am planning to move to Japan with my boyfriend soon, but after reading some messages here, I am worried

ECPod.com is a Web 2.0 social network site to connect China and the world, to make friends and share your world through photos, videos, blogs and more. (http://www.ecpod.com)
(#203 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

When you say "surface pursuits" do you mean things like drugs, drinking, sports, anime?

Parents pushing their children is common in Japan, as it is anywhere, I imagine. I wish I could be more help.
Yes. And this also includes prestigious jobs, money, or short-term romance.

My friends' experience was in Taiwan, but I think you are correct. It will be seen everywhere. I just wonder which societies outwardly condone it.
In America there is an understanding of that "free spirit" mentality that a lot of young adults adopt.
(#204 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-08-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuenflai View Post
I am planning to move to Japan with my boyfriend soon, but after reading some messages here, I am worried
What are you and your boyfriend going to do there? Are you going to get married first.
(#205 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
I broke an ankle in Japan and had to use the local hospital. That hospital had a poor reputation, and the service I got matched the rumors I had heard. I will say that since then I have visited friends in the hospital before in different places and there was a real range of quality, cleanliness.

Overall I think it is hard to judge, but I the hospitals I have seen in the US seem a little more modern.

At the same time, the cost to me for casting, medication and heat "rehabilitation" over the 6 weeks or so of healing was under 30 dollars US. Even with health insurance I have probably spent nearly 1000 dollars on much more minor medical issues than a broken ankle over the last few years in the US.
Did you have medical insurance while in Japan? I would be interested in hearing about the route you chose for health care.
(#206 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-08-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile View Post
Did you have medical insurance while in Japan? I would be interested in hearing about the route you chose for health care.
I had the national health insurance all Japanese people had.
(#207 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I had the national health insurance all Japanese people had.
Thanks! I am assuming that this is the health care mentioned in the "Well I'm Boned" thread, which requires the patient to pay 30% of all health care fees?
I will research further.
(#208 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-08-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile View Post
Thanks! I am assuming that this is the health care mentioned in the "Well I'm Boned" thread, which requires the patient to pay 30% of all health care fees?
I will research further.
I paid probably 10% of fees out of pocket, and the fees and medicine were much less than they would have been in the US.
(#209 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

Send a message via MSN to Shanis
07-08-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuenflai View Post
Why are you worried? Sure MMM didn't liked to live in japan but everyone's experiences are diffrent. My grand-cousin lived there for 3years and worked for "Simens" and he liked living in japan he really enjoyed the time there and would like to go back (he can't cause he has family here who doesn't want to move nor does he has enough money or would a job with the same payment as he now has :/). Anyway think about it clearly and talk about it with your boyfriend, maybe you should first take a trip to japan for some weeks to get a basic experience about japanese life Wish you luck!

When do you think people die?

When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol?
No.

When they are ravaged by an incurable disease?
No.

When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom?
No!

It's when... they are forgotten.

~Dr. Hiluluk - One Piece

Last edited by Shanis : 07-08-2009 at 09:04 PM.
(#210 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-08-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanis View Post
Why are you worried? Sure MMM didn't liked to live in japan but everyone's experiences are diffrent. My grand-cousin lived there for 3years and worked for "Simens" and he liked living in japan he really enjoyed the time there and would like to go back (he can't cause he has family here who doesn't want to move nor does he has enough money or would a job with the same payment as he now has :/). Anyway think about it clearly and talk about it with your boyfriend, maybe you should first take a trip to japan for some weeks to get a basic experience about japanese lve Wish you luck!
If you got from my posts that I didn't like my life in Japan, then I have failed.