LinkBack Thread Tools
(#261 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-07-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
who said anything about telling them how to live. they want die of karoshi thats their beef lol. I am not getting involved in that nonsence. I am telling you whats better for me not them, from my own personal experience.

I didnt say you cant present an opinion either. I said, before you battle what i say have an equal baggage of experience, otherwise its bollocks.
So the only people worthy of battle are those who share your same experiences? Sorry, on a forum everyone is equal.
(#262 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

03-08-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
But there are things from which i will never back off till there is a bit of breath left in my body, and one of them is giving in to that sickening uniformity and mindless sheep syndrome in Japan.
Or, you know, you could just leave. I just don't understand why you feel the need to challenge the norm of a place that you are essentially a guest to. That your insignificant existence in a country with thousands of years of history and customs are somehow is supposed to matter at all? You probably come off as a GIANT tool that people laugh about. But I am sure you're proud of that somehow because you are possibly the most egotistical shit-don't-stink poster on this forum. And let me tell you, that is HARD to do here. I have never ran into a bigger group of self-stroking, self-righteous, holier than thou attitudes EVER on the internet.

Take it down a notch, cool guy. You're obnoxious.
(#263 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-08-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
ah you know with living in Japan is like with marriage. she pissses you off and there are times you want to chop her into pieces and shove into a can and send back to where she came from, but then again you love her to bits and all those small things she does and you would die of boredome without her annoying nature. First thing my wife said to me after returning from a trip was "could you do something irritating, i really missed that".

Nothing is perfect. I guess it is up to us to make it better. It's called a compromise. But there are things from which i will never back off till there is a bit of breath left in my body, and one of them is giving in to that sickening uniformity and mindless sheep syndrome in Japan. The weather is nice though
I met quite a few Japanese who were unconventional and far from mindless sheep. And as for myself, I did things my own way all the time, but I didn't confront the Japanese people about changing their ways to suit me. I did what I wanted to do, and let them do what they wanted to do, but that doesn't mean you can't also show respect for them and their culture, where you are a guest. For instance, washing before you get into an onsen, or taking off your shoes before walking into someone's house. Not things I'd usually do at home, but they affect more than myself, and they are a sign of basic courtesy, so I did it. That didn't make me a "sheep", just polite. In things that affected only myself, such as walking and eating at the same time, I did my own thing.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#264 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-08-2011, 08:02 AM

Much agreed with xkmkmlmx and samurai007. Ryuurui doesn't tell us specifically what he does to fight the system and beat up normality, but only speaks in violent vagueness. I would like to hear the concrete.
(#265 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You didn't even read my entire first post.
Oh no I did.

There are of course some things I'd challenge,like their attitude to animals,
but I'd just try my best to stay away from that kind of thing.
(#266 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-08-2011, 09:25 AM

There's a lot of things I love about living in Japan and there's a lot of things I don't but that's no different to my time living in Australia. There are things I think Australians could benefit from Japanese culture and visa versa. Neither place is perfect and like all countries and cultures they have good and bad. For me personally the good about Japan far outweighs the bad which is why I love living here.
I have no problem with people discussing things they dislike about Japan (although maybe with a bit more respect than you're showing ryuurui). There are certainly things in this culture that are very hard for those from western societies to readily accept but hey one of the great things about living here as a foreigner is you don't have to follow all the social norms and customs that Japanese expect of other Japanese! This of course doesn't mean you can be direspectful or insensitive to these norms and customs!
(#267 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

03-08-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
although maybe with a bit more respect than you're showing ryuurui
how so? why would i wrap a raw truth in a gift paper?
(#268 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-08-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Oh no I did.

There are of course some things I'd challenge,like their attitude to animals,
but I'd just try my best to stay away from that kind of thing.
Then why would you ask why I am on Japan Forum?
(#269 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-08-2011, 10:34 PM

Excuse me,you facepalm when someone commits the heinous crime of saying they want to live in Japan and not having visited! Do you really expect them to have visited already? It's an expensive holiday! It's on the other side of the world. I wanted to live there before I'd visited. Going there only made me want to live there more! Yes,I did wobble but that was just because I'd watched some Australian guy on YouTube saying [at least mostly] how terrible living in Japan was! And do you know what I did? I stopped watching his videos. Because they were depressing.
(#270 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Excuse me,you facepalm when someone commits the heinous crime of saying they want to live in Japan and not having visited! Do you really expect them to have visited already? It's an expensive holiday! It's on the other side of the world. I wanted to live there before I'd visited. Going there only made me want to live there more! Yes,I did wobble but that was just because I'd watched some Australian guy on YouTube saying [at least mostly] how terrible living in Japan was! And do you know what I did? I stopped watching his videos. Because they were depressing.
I am not sure how this thread I started over two years ago got life breathed into it again, but I still think my original assertion is true. I would never recommend someone move to a foreign country without at least visiting it once. This is especially true when the one moving does not speak the native language of the host country, and the culture is as different as it is for Westerners.

And I do know people that "loved Japanese culture" before signing contracts and moving there sight unseen, and not only break their contracts and go home after a few months, but actually went more than a little crazy.