LinkBack Thread Tools
(#281 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konbini View Post
I think it would be nice to live there in a small town near the mountains. Much better quality life than big cities there. When ever you wanted to have some action, you could go into a larger city.
I'm afraid [this is just what they say] you have to go into Tokyo if you want decent work. It's a big city,probably one of the largest in the world.[What are the statistics?] Try Asakusa or Ikebukuro.

I don't remember the amount of people ever bothering me,funnily enough. On the train was just like when I can't get a seat on the bus.
(#282 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

03-09-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
I'm afraid [this is just what they say] you have to go into Tokyo if you want decent work. It's a big city,probably one of the largest in the world.[What are the statistics?] Try Asakusa or Ikebukuro.

I don't remember the amount of people ever bothering me,funnily enough. On the train was just like when I can't get a seat on the bus.
nearly 36mln in Greater Tokyo Area.
(#283 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-09-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2fat View Post
..iv now been living and working here for 7months! the first month was mindblowing..i couldnt stop noticing all the super huge differences between both cultures..it was novelty just to take a poo...i was in awe..then, the next four months i (with my mind already blown) couldnt stop picking out the bad things about japan..to be honest..i was unhappy and just wanted to go home!

it was at the 5month mark where i had to choose whether or not to extend my visa a further 6months..i bit the bullet and decided to stay...now at 7months i cant believe i ever thought the way i did! i dont know exacly why i had such feelings and why i feel different about japan now but i feel as if i jumped over some sort of hurdle..i still have my days but overall, im super happy to be here!
That's pretty common... for some people that feeling comes after a month and lasts a little while, for others it may come after a couple years and last even longer. We call it "Japan burnout" and have seen it time and time again.
(#284 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-10-2011, 08:29 AM

I haven't had "Japan burnout" yet, and I guess it's because, to me, the place is a lot like home, only the language is different and some of the customs are. I hate the fact that I may be packing up and heading back to the states next month. I don't feel that I've had the opportunity to truly experience the country. Unless I can find another job in the next couple of weeks, I won't be able to stay anyway. The apartment lease runs out March 30, but, my visa doesn't expire until April 14, so I can still job hunt.
(#285 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I haven't had "Japan burnout" yet, and I guess it's because, to me, the place is a lot like home, only the language is different and some of the customs are. I hate the fact that I may be packing up and heading back to the states next month. I don't feel that I've had the opportunity to truly experience the country. Unless I can find another job in the next couple of weeks, I won't be able to stay anyway. The apartment lease runs out March 30, but, my visa doesn't expire until April 14, so I can still job hunt.
To be clear, not everyone experiences "Japan Burnout"... I didn't. But it is common and we have seen it here.

I was able to stay about a month or so after my work visa expired though some governmental snafu, and I enjoyed that. Take all the time you can.
(#286 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

03-10-2011, 09:48 AM

I certainly haven't experienced any burnout. To be honest I'd be happy to live out the rest of my life here but my wife has had enough and would like to have some family support for our daughter, so it's back to Australia sometime in June at this stage. I'm really going to miss my life here...
(#287 (permalink))
Old
mandalina (Offline)
invisible

03-10-2011, 11:45 AM

No central heating, used to it.
Being alone, is what I am looking for (I hate to be asked why I don't talk -_-)
No dryers, never had one. Wet clothes are every where in every room in winter and outside when it is a good day.

Foods, I don't think I can ever eat any other countries cookings. Very selective on the subject. Everybody, who went to other countries, complains about it.

I am interested in Japanese music, cartoon books, animation, dramas, language, but I have never thought about living there or any other countries. However going there for holiday or work with short periods is fine

I wonder what Japanese people think about living at other countries or about people who wants to live in Japan?

I also don't understand how people can think life is like on dramas, movies or music videos. They all should know it's just a fake, fantastic world. The actors, actresses or singers are not cool, nice or handsome/beautiful in real life. I once wrote a long article about this but didn't post later. I think nobody cares about it. They like to dream on.

a daydreamer without dreams
(#288 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

03-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
I certainly haven't experienced any burnout. To be honest I'd be happy to live out the rest of my life here but my wife has had enough and would like to have some family support for our daughter, so it's back to Australia sometime in June at this stage. I'm really going to miss my life here...

i can understand your wife having had enough amongst all that snow. how many women would put up with that. one mans dream and all that. hope things work out okay for you all. australia has so much else to offer hasn't it
(#289 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
i can understand your wife having had enough amongst all that snow. how many women would put up with that. one mans dream and all that. hope things work out okay for you all. australia has so much else to offer hasn't it
Yeah, poisonous snakes, jumping spiders, floods, and other recent natural disaster . . .

In all seriousness though, GoNative, wouldn't Japan be a better place to live than Australia, as far as raising a family goes? I suppose each country has its pros and cons, and Australia does have more space and a laid-back attitude, which is great with children, none of that hustle-and-bustle or cramped atmosphere . . . but at the same time doesn't Japan have lower crime rates and lower cost of living? There are quite a few countries I would say are perhaps 'better' to live in with children, but I wouldn't say Australia is one (as wonderful and varied as it is).
(#290 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-10-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
There are quite a few countries I would say are perhaps 'better' to live in with children, but I wouldn't say Australia is one (as wonderful and varied as it is).
I think the key isn`t the environment, but the family backup and support. Perhaps things would be different if the network of family and friends was based in Japan.
As it is, it seems that GoNative`s wife wants to be close to family for reasons related to raising their daughter. No matter how you look at it, that isn`t going to happen in Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.