JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#301 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-11-2011, 04:28 PM

And we worry about terrorists. What are the chances? The UK is one of the safest countries touch wood and Japan I'd say is about average. Japan is not that bad. I'm assuming it's not hugely far down the list from the UK and places like Sweden. It's just that you think you have a safe country and then suddenly there's a big disaster.

It just puts it all in perspective how stupid we are in this country to worry about things like health and safety,terrorists etc. The worrying thing is if it happened here I bet people wouldn't be half as prepared. David Cameron wouldn't give a very rousing speech! He'd probably laugh and fly off to China!

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 03-11-2011 at 04:30 PM.
(#302 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2011, 03:18 AM

Don't know if MMM mentioned these in an earlier post, but here goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Excuse me,you facepalm when someone commits the heinous crime of saying they want to live in Japan and not having visited! Do you really expect them to have visited already? It's an expensive holiday! It's on the other side of the world.
If they can't even afford a visit, there's no way on Earth they'll afford to live there any time soon, unless they hit the jackpot.

Quote:
I wanted to live there before I'd visited. Going there only made me want to live there more!
Yes, but as has been said many other places, of course visiting will make you want to live there more. Being there as a tourist, you're only getting the short bursts of experiences that are meant to be had from a short trip. No one's saying Japan's a bad tourism destination, but being there as a resident will give you a completely different experience to being a tourist. It's a trap many fall for, thinking it'll be identical. Things'll hit home when you have bills to pay, paperwork to do etc just like any other country in the world.

Quote:
Yes,I did wobble but that was just because I'd watched some Australian guy on YouTube saying [at least mostly] how terrible living in Japan was! And do you know what I did? I stopped watching his videos. Because they were depressing.
You have to be fair, there are so many videos out there hyping Japan up to be the best place on Earth, and so I think it's only natural that there's some balance out there with the bad points. I mean, I think I've only ever seen one or two Youtube videos, and only this thread, about not wanting to live in Japan, and looking at the bad depressing points. Compared to literally hundreds of videos that don't even get close to addressing the harsh realities.
Especially for people who actually wants to know WHY people don't like it when they actually get there. It makes more serious people informed. Even if he was just saying what he hated, it could apply to anyone wanting to live there.

If you live in Japan, it may be even more depressing than the videos of that guy because you haven't prepared yourself for reality, and when it all comes crashing down, and you need to get serious about living there, you may just feel a little depressed.

Last edited by Umihito : 05-10-2011 at 03:20 AM.
(#303 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-10-2011, 10:14 AM

Show me that youtube guy please and I will put him in his corner!!!
(#304 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2011, 01:04 PM

It's all A-OK in here!
(#305 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
You have to be fair, there are so many videos out there hyping Japan up to be the best place on Earth, and so I think it's only natural that there's some balance out there with the bad points. I mean, I think I've only ever seen one or two Youtube videos, and only this thread, about not wanting to live in Japan, and looking at the bad depressing points. Compared to literally hundreds of videos that don't even get close to addressing the harsh realities.
I SAY THERE'S MORE ABOUT THE BAD STUFF DAMNIT!
(#306 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-18-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
It's all A-OK in here!
Is that the title of the video?

Quote:
I SAY THERE'S MORE ABOUT THE BAD STUFF DAMNIT!
Really?

Unrested - JFAQ - Good
TokyoCooney - Life in Tokyo - Good
RodgerSwan (R.I.P.) - TokyoSwan / IwateSwan - Good
TheJapanChannelDotCom - Good
Hikosaemon - Good
Gimmeabreakman - Good

Etc etc etc

........... Can't think of even one for bad.

Could you please post some links to these 'goldmines' of negative videos?
(#307 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
05-27-2018, 12:51 AM

Five reasons to leave Japan.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#308 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

06-01-2018, 05:23 PM

Answering the comments about "5 reasons to hate living in Japan".

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#309 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

06-11-2018, 01:38 PM

There is a characteristic model of "old style Japanese" which is featured by like "organisation is more important than individual" or "behave like as the others do".

This kind of model make the people average level and keep people away from creativity.

Most of Japanese know these tendency is not so good and think Japanese should go out from these "old style".

When asked, Japanese would reply "I do not think the old style Japanese is good" like as you see in the girl in the video.

However, these "old style" is deeply exist in every Japanese's mind.

Though a Japanese think the old style is not good, he would be happy and peaceful among the "old style Japanese atmosphere". Even the younger generation of Japanese have such tendency.

... and
(#310 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

07-03-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
Though a Japanese think the old style is not good, he would be happy and peaceful among the "old style Japanese atmosphere". Even the younger generation of Japanese have such tendency.
I wonder if that is correct.
In fact I meet a lot of young Japanese people through my job, and most of them absolutely hate the "old style", and those who were lucky enough to get a job in a western company (with western cultural behavior like meritocracy instead of seniority, or gender equality, or going home at a reasonable hour) are very appreciative.

I have to admit though, the young people I meet are interested in English, and western culture. So they may not be a good representation of all Japanese youth.

Do you really think the younger generation tends towards the old style? If they had a choice, they would not choose to be modern?

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.