JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

Japan exchange questions - 01-28-2009, 06:33 AM

Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but I was hoping you guys could help me.

If all goes well, I will be studying abroad in Japan from fall of 2009 through spring of 2010 (the dates are going by Japanese university semesters, though they aren't really important). I'll be going hopefully to Keio University, if not then hopefully Waseda, both of which are, obviously, in Tokyo. Neither of those programs offer a homestay option, so I'll be staying in dormitories at the universities. Since the longest I've been in Japan is a ten-day tour with a tour guide and a bunch of classmates, I'd really like some advice.

First, what should I do about my cell phone? I currently have a Verizon LG Chocolate VX8500 (not that that's important either, just the Verizon part). Currently, it's not supported overseas, and while I can't navigate Verizon's website to save my life, I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be cheaper to get a Japanese phone. My mom would prefer I stick with Verizon, because she and my grandparents are on it as well and she's hoping there's a good international plan that doesn't charge $2.00 a minute, but I don't think there is one. Is there a cell phone provider that has good international plans, or anything perhaps specifically for people who are living abroad to communicate overseas? What would be the cheaper, more convenient option--getting a phone for a year in Japan, or sticking with Verizon and hoping they have a good overseas plan?

My second question can probably only be answered by girls. I'm currently on the birth control pill Yaz--can I get it filled over in Japan? Will it be more expensive? Or should I have a family member fill it in the U.S. and send it to me?

Thirdly, I am from Las Vegas. I'm currently attending university in Hawaii. I stay in a dorm, and while I've already decided that I will see if a friend can store my fridge and fan (since I'm coming back here), but what stuff should I leave home and what stuff should I take with me to Japan? I'm going back home over summer so I'll be taking most of my things anyway, and clothes and shampoo and whatnot are a given. However, will my bedding fit the beds over there? Will I need things like a fridge or a microwave in my dorm room in Japan? How big are they, anyway?

I'm almost done, I swear! How easy is it for students to get part-time jobs over there? Even though I've been studying Japanese for four years, I'm not confident that I speak enough to go through the application process, let alone actually teaching any students or communicating with native Japanese people as a store worker or something. What kind of jobs are ideal for exchange students over there?

And lastly, at least for now, are there any tips on navigating the subway system? I didn't really have a lot of experience riding it, though I am proud to say I only got lost once. Are there any yearly passes or student passes or anything?

Sorry for so many questions, though I might be back to ask more eventually, haha. Any help is greatly appreciated, as is any other advice you might have to offer. Yoroshiku!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-28-2009, 07:47 AM

First, what should I do about my cell phone?

At this point INTL cells are crazy expensive. Plan on getting a phone on Japan. They have prepaid over there.

My second question can probably only be answered by girls. I'm currently on the birth control pill Yaz--can I get it filled over in Japan? Will it be more expensive? Or should I have a family member fill it in the U.S. and send it to me?

Plan on getting the pills sent to you from the US.

Thirdly, I am from Las Vegas. I'm currently attending university in Hawaii. I stay in a dorm, and while I've already decided that I will see if a friend can store my fridge and fan (since I'm coming back here), but what stuff should I leave home and what stuff should I take with me to Japan? I'm going back home over summer so I'll be taking most of my things anyway, and clothes and shampoo and whatnot are a given. However, will my bedding fit the beds over there? Will I need things like a fridge or a microwave in my dorm room in Japan? How big are they, anyway?

Bring AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. Just the clothes you need, and that's it. Also bring toothpaste and deodorant. It is cheaper to buy bedding than ship it. And your room will be small.

Last edited by MMM : 01-28-2009 at 07:51 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mrnicekid (Offline)
JF Regular

01-28-2009, 08:40 AM

Phone:
for international calls, i always use internet calling softwares like skype. it's extremely cheap. and like MMM suggested, i think it's better to have a japanese phone in japan, there are a lot of models that are bilingual (can change from japanese to english). so my opinion: get a japanese phone for a year.

Part-Time Jobs:
there are a lot of part time jobs that even foreigners that didn't speak much japanese could do. for starters, do you fancy on getting up very early in the morning and do rounds with the garbage guys to collect garbage around the area? they pay you a lot (close to 10000yen per day)and you could ride garbage trucks on the back! fun and cool! you could also try working in bread factories, making mochi cakes. didn't need to know japanese to do that. or you could work in a restaurant, washing dishes all day long. so, basically, jobs that doesn't require good japanese would be physical ones. but you're a girl... so i guess you won't fancy physical jobs. well, you can always go the 水商売 way... of course, if you know japanese, your opportunity to try other jobs would be widen significantly.

Japanese Subway:
when navigating the complicated subways of tokyo, your keitai (handphone) is a real saver, because it is very easy to find a way to get to another station with your phone (internet).

and oh, just like what MMM said, your university's dormitory will be very, very small. i mean very, very small. the dormitory that i used to live in when i was studying in tokyo only fits my bed, a small fridge and a space to stand. and of course, i replaced that space to stand with a work-desk.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2009, 09:58 PM

Regarding cell phones, I believe your LG will work since Verizon uses the 3G network like they do in Japan. Softbank and Verizon also have a roaming agreement - as do most of the major providers in N. America.

However, I wouldn't recommend it for long term use because you'd probably be paying around $3.00/minute for local calls. I brought my iPhone 3G to Japan last year and used it three times. Twice to make a short local call and once to use my GPS since I was lost. That cost me around $10.00 in total.

Just go to a Softbank outlet and grab a prepaid phone. Here are the current rates :
Prepaid Service | SoftBank
(#5 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
First, what should I do about my cell phone?

At this point INTL cells are crazy expensive. Plan on getting a phone on Japan. They have prepaid over there.

Plan on getting the pills sent to you from the US.

Bring AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. Just the clothes you need, and that's it. Also bring toothpaste and deodorant. It is cheaper to buy bedding than ship it. And your room will be small.
Haha, okay, I'll keep all that in mind. Thank you so much for your advice! On the Keio website they also recommended keeping an eye out for apartments about an hour away from the campus, since housing is expensive and not guaranteed. What do you recommend for that?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnicekid View Post
Phone:
for international calls, i always use internet calling softwares like skype. it's extremely cheap. and like MMM suggested, i think it's better to have a japanese phone in japan, there are a lot of models that are bilingual (can change from japanese to english). so my opinion: get a japanese phone for a year.

Part-Time Jobs:
there are a lot of part time jobs that even foreigners that didn't speak much japanese could do. for starters, do you fancy on getting up very early in the morning and do rounds with the garbage guys to collect garbage around the area? they pay you a lot (close to 10000yen per day)and you could ride garbage trucks on the back! fun and cool! you could also try working in bread factories, making mochi cakes. didn't need to know japanese to do that. or you could work in a restaurant, washing dishes all day long. so, basically, jobs that doesn't require good japanese would be physical ones. but you're a girl... so i guess you won't fancy physical jobs. well, you can always go the 水商売 way... of course, if you know japanese, your opportunity to try other jobs would be widen significantly.

Japanese Subway:
when navigating the complicated subways of tokyo, your keitai (handphone) is a real saver, because it is very easy to find a way to get to another station with your phone (internet).

and oh, just like what MMM said, your university's dormitory will be very, very small. i mean very, very small. the dormitory that i used to live in when i was studying in tokyo only fits my bed, a small fridge and a space to stand. and of course, i replaced that space to stand with a work-desk.
I thought skype was free? If you both have microphones and internet... I have skype, though I'll keep that in mind too.

Well, I've been studying Japanese for about four years, I just don't really feel confident... I wouldn't be opposed to being an English tutor, but I would prefer some kind of computer job where I don't have to interact with too many people. XD

I know a lot of people have recommended getting a prepaid phone, do those have handy internet services too? I'm sure they have maps and whatnot, but if I'm in my dorm or whatnot and trying to go somewhere, it would be more convenient to use my phone.

Thank you!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
biginjapan (Offline)
JF Regular

01-30-2009, 02:18 AM

1. Buy a Japanese cell phone, download skype.

2. I suggest not getting a part-time job. Why work when you could be exploring the country? If you want to make money put an ad in a magazine or online for tutoring services. That way you can fit this around whatever activities you end up doing. They pay pretty well too. I made 30 dollars for an hour session and I did this about two or three times a week.

3. Buy deodorant. Japanese deodorant sucks, they don't use the stick kind there.

4. Bring condoms, I kid you not Japanese condoms are small as hell. I had to borrow some from another American who was smart enough to bring his.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-30-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixisticks View Post
Haha, okay, I'll keep all that in mind. Thank you so much for your advice! On the Keio website they also recommended keeping an eye out for apartments about an hour away from the campus, since housing is expensive and not guaranteed. What do you recommend for that?
If housing isn't guaranteed, what do you do if you show up and they don't have housing?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Regarding cell phones, I believe your LG will work since Verizon uses the 3G network like they do in Japan. Softbank and Verizon also have a roaming agreement - as do most of the major providers in N. America.

However, I wouldn't recommend it for long term use because you'd probably be paying around $3.00/minute for local calls. I brought my iPhone 3G to Japan last year and used it three times. Twice to make a short local call and once to use my GPS since I was lost. That cost me around $10.00 in total.

Just go to a Softbank outlet and grab a prepaid phone. Here are the current rates :
Prepaid Service | SoftBank
Oh yeah, that is really expensive. Getting a prepaid is probably a good idea, then.

The website kind of confuses me, though... the phone is only good for 60 days? After that, do I have to buy another one, or do I just buy more cards? And it costs 45 yen or 27 yen (depending on when you call) per 30 seconds for international calls, right? Sorry for asking so many questions, and thank you for the advice!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biginjapan View Post
1. Buy a Japanese cell phone, download skype.

2. I suggest not getting a part-time job. Why work when you could be exploring the country? If you want to make money put an ad in a magazine or online for tutoring services. That way you can fit this around whatever activities you end up doing. They pay pretty well too. I made 30 dollars for an hour session and I did this about two or three times a week.

3. Buy deodorant. Japanese deodorant sucks, they don't use the stick kind there.

4. Bring condoms, I kid you not Japanese condoms are small as hell. I had to borrow some from another American who was smart enough to bring his.
I have to get a job because I can't afford to pay monthly rent without one, haha. Plus I'd like some spending money... as much as I would love to go around exploring, I can't afford it, unless I get every single scholarship I apply for or something. I'll keep tutoring in mind, though--I'm not so much worried about the job part as I am the interview, haha. (My keigo = fail.)

At points 3 and 4: LOL XD I will keep that in mind. I don't plan on having a lot of sex over there, but it would really suck to be caught unprepared.