JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Niknaizorai (Offline)
JF Regular

About buying rural land or traditional rural house in Japan. - 01-30-2009, 02:52 PM

I want to know if it is possible for a foreigner to buy rural land or a small traditional Japanese house in a rural area. I like cold northern Japan.

Any direct experience out there?

Do I need to be married to a Japanese to do that? Any ideas about real estate agencies that target foreign customers? What about prices?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM

It is as possible as buying any housing or land in Japan. You won`t need to be married to someone Japanese, but will need to have permanent residency.

I don`t really know of any agencies that target foreigners for that sort of thing (it`s really pretty doubtful that there ARE any) - but there are several Japanese sites for the like.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2009, 04:30 PM

Actually, you don't need to be a permanent resident to purchase/own property in Japan. You can buy property while visiting on a visitor visa.

However, mortgages are only available to permanent residents so you'll have to finance the property yourself. Owning property in Japan doesn't come with special visa privileges either so you'll only be able to stay at your property 90 days at a time.

I met a few people in Canada who owned some rural property in Japan which they use as their vacation spot.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
FJCOM (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2009, 01:35 PM

spicytuna is correct in that you do not need permanent residency to buy but helps for a mortgae.

Japan is wide open to foreign ownership and the only restriction is that you need to provide proof that you have an address -- anywhere.