JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
CoRnJuLiOx (Offline)
New to JF

The definition of work in Japan - 02-15-2009, 01:37 PM

Ok, I'm planning on going to Japan to study, and since I'd be on a pre-colllege and then a college visa, I'd like to ask about working (as in part-time jobs) on a college visa. I know that you can't work on a pre-college visa (or can you?) and you can only work 4 (some places say 8) hours a week and only after you've applied for a special permit. My question is, what exactly constitutes work? Signing a contract with a company/organization? Would buying and selling (and earning profit off of it) be considered 'work'? How about teaching english as a private tutor I'm told you don't need a license unless you want to teach _at a school, as a teacher_, or doing odd jobs like repairing a neighbor's computer.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-15-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRnJuLiOx View Post
Ok, I'm planning on going to Japan to study, and since I'd be on a pre-colllege and then a college visa, I'd like to ask about working (as in part-time jobs) on a college visa. I know that you can't work on a pre-college visa (or can you?) and you can only work 4 (some places say 8) hours a week and only after you've applied for a special permit. My question is, what exactly constitutes work? Signing a contract with a company/organization? Would buying and selling (and earning profit off of it) be considered 'work'? How about teaching english as a private tutor I'm told you don't need a license unless you want to teach _at a school, as a teacher_, or doing odd jobs like repairing a neighbor's computer.
It is my knowledge that you can only work with a workers visa. And if a company DID hire you, it is "technically" illegal but it still happens.

猿も木から落ちる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-15-2009, 10:43 PM

Im currently under a pre-college visa right now. I have already aquired my working permit that allows 4 hours/day. Private tutoring and buy&sell aren't really considered work, unless you file some forms saying it is work.

Otherwise it is just a "service" that you happen to obtain money from.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

02-19-2009, 08:18 PM

Wait, what? So if you're a college student going to Japan to study abroad, and you need to get a part-time job with a company for money purposes, if you're there on a college visa, you can't?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-20-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixisticks View Post
Wait, what? So if you're a college student going to Japan to study abroad, and you need to get a part-time job with a company for money purposes, if you're there on a college visa, you can't?
That's exactly right.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-20-2009, 05:45 AM

Under college, pre-college, student visas you have to fill out a form to perform "extra activities while in Japan". In that sense it means you want to do something else besides study, in most cases that is work. Without filling out that form you wont get hired by anyone because you're not qualified to work.

To get this form, ask your school for it. Takes about 1 month to process. Then all you need to do after is get hired part time. Be sure not to work over your hours limit.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcyk8703 View Post
Under college, pre-college, student visas you have to fill out a form to perform "extra activities while in Japan". In that sense it means you want to do something else besides study, in most cases that is work. Without filling out that form you wont get hired by anyone because you're not qualified to work.

To get this form, ask your school for it. Takes about 1 month to process. Then all you need to do after is get hired part time. Be sure not to work over your hours limit.

yup as far as student visa is concern , that's about it. some student I know, worked as part-time teachers on their free time or some other part-time jobs introduced by the universities..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#8 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

02-21-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcyk8703 View Post

Oh good. XD I was so worried. Thanks for explaining.